It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Free Newsletter

Diet Mentality

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Diet Mentality

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:20 pm

I must confess i'm still on the diet mentality. I've been a yoyo dieter since my mid teens, in all those years I've lost and gained the same weight. I've tried every diet which claims to end all dieting with the same result as previous diets. After reading posts on this great forum a lot of you suggest to stop thinking of this as a diet & make changes to keep up post weight loss. I still find it hard to get rid of this diet mentality and i've become obsessed with losing weight. Its on my mind all the time, is anyone else like this. How do you stop thinking of this as a diet and change it around to not dieting? I know I don't have a huge amount to lose (12kgs) it feels like such a huge amount & I feel overwhealmed & i want it gone now. HOw do you get past these feelings?
Strawberry

Re: Diet Mentality

Postby Athena » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:54 pm

I read recently that it takes 21 days to break a habit. If you can keep up a non-diet behaviour change for that long then maybe you can beat it.
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby sassi » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:13 pm

have you tried the calorie king website? they have their 'university' which is a section that goes through the whole spectrum of WL info - so it covers eating & exercise but also focusses on the emotional & behavioural side as well. it has some helpful hints and tips if you haven't visited the site :)

other than that, i'm not sure - i found it really tough which is why i ended up on hiatus for 4 months :lol: i guess one thing is to look at why you want to lose the weight - what's driving you? i think if you look at smaller, daily goals it helps as well. try not to think about the 12kg but think about what you'd like to achieve today that will help you on the journey - is it to drink more water? to exercise for 30 minutes? pick things at first that you can easily achieve and then you'll start to get those feelings of success & that might help you to feel more positive & less overwhelmed?

i'd like to lose 30kg all up - but that number just seems downright frightening lol. so i've made my ticker about getting under 90kg - because that is a huge mental hurdle for me...7.6kg seems like nothing in comparison :)

sorry - should have read your diary/progress section before i jumped in!
sassi

Postby HappyBella55 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi there Strawberry,

First off, welcome to the forum. I have to agree with you there, this is a special little community we have here, full of motivating, inspiring and knowledgeable friendly people :D .

Now, to your questions. When I first begun my weight loss journey I found it really hard to get beyond 70kgs, I too was losing and gaining weight and going quietly crazy :lol:. Emotional eating was my big downfall, and yes weight, food, exercise, my goals were always on my mind. That's all I thought about some days and it drove me nutty :roll: .

You know what helped me, writing out my goals, what was on my mind and every time I wanted to binge I would write first and self diagnose my current issue and that would stop the desire to stuff myself silly.

Weight loss is not easy. Yes it is doable and the actions of weight loss is easy but the journey of weight loss is the hardest you will face, it has up and down moments. YOu'll have good days, bad days, you'll be going all good and then bang something will happen and then you'll have a bad afternoon or night but the thing to remember is this: losing weight is not about a diet mentality, the all or nothing, the good food, the bad food, how much of this or that you've eaten. Losing weight is about making small gradual changes, changing one part that may not be to crash hot in aiding the weight loss. This doesn't mean you have to give up your fav foods or ban certain foods. If you watch your portion sizing and moderate the amount of high energy food you consume the weight will shift.

Start out slow, don't try and change everything overnight. One thing at a time and you'll be right.

And people are absolutely right, change and reprogram your thinking. This is not a diet. Diets have a beginning and end but a healthy lifestyle change doesn't it is something you can do everyday without feeling deprived or restricted like you would on a diet.

Sassi has given you some really good tips. Calorie King is such a great tool to track your energy intake. You'll be surprised what foods you can work into your day and still lose weight. You won't feel like you a deprived and on a diet.

So you if you don't want to give up a certain food - don't! Eat it, enjoy it and work it into your daily food intake. Slow baby steps lead to big big changes.

You can do this!!

Remember DIETS don't work. LIFESTYLE CHANGES DO :mrgreen:
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby Strawberry » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:57 am

sassi wrote:have you tried the calorie king website? they have their 'university' which is a section that goes through the whole spectrum of WL info - so it covers eating & exercise but also focusses on the emotional & behavioural side as well. it has some helpful hints and tips if you haven't visited the site :)

other than that, i'm not sure - i found it really tough which is why i ended up on hiatus for 4 months :lol: i guess one thing is to look at why you want to lose the weight - what's driving you? i think if you look at smaller, daily goals it helps as well. try not to think about the 12kg but think about what you'd like to achieve today that will help you on the journey - is it to drink more water? to exercise for 30 minutes? pick things at first that you can easily achieve and then you'll start to get those feelings of success & that might help you to feel more positive & less overwhelmed?

i'd like to lose 30kg all up - but that number just seems downright frightening lol. so i've made my ticker about getting under 90kg - because that is a huge mental hurdle for me...7.6kg seems like nothing in comparison :)

sorry - should have read your diary/progress section before i jumped in!

Hi there Sassi. I'm glad you jumped in. The advice is great & I've got a lot to think about. I can work this in on my goal & I must say never though of drinking more water & upping exercise as achievements. No haven't tried calorie king I'll google it & sus it out.
Strawberry

Postby Strawberry » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:06 am

HappyBella55 wrote:Hi there Strawberry,

First off, welcome to the forum. I have to agree with you there, this is a special little community we have here, full of motivating, inspiring and knowledgeable friendly people :D .

Now, to your questions. When I first begun my weight loss journey I found it really hard to get beyond 70kgs, I too was losing and gaining weight and going quietly crazy :lol:. Emotional eating was my big downfall, and yes weight, food, exercise, my goals were always on my mind. That's all I thought about some days and it drove me nutty :roll: .

You know what helped me, writing out my goals, what was on my mind and every time I wanted to binge I would write first and self diagnose my current issue and that would stop the desire to stuff myself silly.

Weight loss is not easy. Yes it is doable and the actions of weight loss is easy but the journey of weight loss is the hardest you will face, it has up and down moments. YOu'll have good days, bad days, you'll be going all good and then bang something will happen and then you'll have a bad afternoon or night but the thing to remember is this: losing weight is not about a diet mentality, the all or nothing, the good food, the bad food, how much of this or that you've eaten. Losing weight is about making small gradual changes, changing one part that may not be to crash hot in aiding the weight loss. This doesn't mean you have to give up your fav foods or ban certain foods. If you watch your portion sizing and moderate the amount of high energy food you consume the weight will shift.

Start out slow, don't try and change everything overnight. One thing at a time and you'll be right.

And people are absolutely right, change and reprogram your thinking. This is not a diet. Diets have a beginning and end but a healthy lifestyle change doesn't it is something you can do everyday without feeling deprived or restricted like you would on a diet.

Sassi has given you some really good tips. Calorie King is such a great tool to track your energy intake. You'll be surprised what foods you can work into your day and still lose weight. You won't feel like you a deprived and on a diet.

So you if you don't want to give up a certain food - don't! Eat it, enjoy it and work it into your daily food intake. Slow baby steps lead to big big changes.

You can do this!!

Remember DIETS don't work. LIFESTYLE CHANGES DO :mrgreen:

Hi there HappyBella55. Thanks for the great advice. You've also given me lots to think about. You make it sound so easy it will be a struggle to change my mentality cos i'm the diet yoyo queen. Its hard to change a way of thinking, you & Sassi have given me lots to think about. The emphasis is on gradual changes right?
Strawberry

Postby sassi » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 am

Strawberry wrote:
Hi there Sassi. I'm glad you jumped in. The advice is great & I've got a lot to think about. I can work this in on my goal & I must say never though of drinking more water & upping exercise as achievements. No haven't tried calorie king I'll google it & sus it out.
yeah, i used to think in terms of "my goal is to lose 30kg as fast as possible"...and because on a daily basis i wasn't seeing any real progress towards this, i tended to give up - it's kind of that whole 'all or nothing' sort of approach. but recently i read an article that said it is better to think of small goals to achieve each day - and that it's okay to make them ones you pretty much know that you'll achieve. their thinking was that if you do that then you will become more & more positive as you see yourself achieving things. so if you know you will drink 1.2l of water today, just make your goal to drink 1.2l today. you'll do it with no trouble & that means tomorrow you can increase it to 1.3l...until you reach 2l (that's just an example lol).

i want to be healthier overall - our bodies are so clever that i don't want to 'disrespect' mine as much as i have. so i've used calorieking to set myself goals such as eating a certain amount of fibre a day.

when you checking it out (http://www.calorieking.com.au) make sure it's the .com.au version because (not sure if it's still the case) the US version asked for a paid subscription - but the aussie version is freeeeeeee :)
sassi

Return to Weight loss Talk