It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:45 am

Free Newsletter

Why do we mindlessly eat?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Why do we mindlessly eat?

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:09 pm

chubba momma wrote:
Distraction is the only thing that works for me lol or chewing gum!! :lol:

distraction is working 4 me too & getting out of the house.
Strawberry

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:17 pm

[quote="Indi3"]

Its re-programming. And it takes a while to get to that in-set re-programmed way of life. You can keep acknowledging the reasons for wanting to eat but there has to be a point where you can DO something about it. And it can happen. It does happen. I've been pro-actively on this path for some time.. not on the weight loss path, the path deeper than that.. the path that WILL re-set your patterns. ANd it is FINALLY working for me. I am still a bit rusty but i can definalty feel a shift. I dont know what the magic ingredient is. I've definatly got some support this time which is a major help.

I also reaslised that weight is something i DECIDED to OBSESS about when i was like 6. I have been over the million reasons as to WHY.. but just knowing that it was a DECISION I made at some point in my life is on its own helping me to crack this success zapping disease .. coz... it is or was ruling my life!

quote]

I obsess about weight too! It is always on my mind & find it very difficult 2 make the shift. I'm taking one day @ a time to change my habits & way of thinking. I'm not putting any pressure on myself. The amazing thing it's far simpler than i thought it would be. On past diets it was all about restrictions/do this/don't do that. Now i eat what i want just fat& kj friendly & portion controlled.
When u say reprogramming - do u mean ur way of thinking?
support is important - i've found that. in the past i've had 2 be my own cheerleader & not having encouragement & support was hard. Cyber support is better than none - its helping me!
Strawberry

Postby Indi3 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:25 pm

Yeah.. tStrawberry the pressure just gets too much doesnt it. .. thats great you are looking at it differently now.. Im doing the same as you.. the pressure was just making me feel like a failure and i HAD to find a different approach before i exploided!

I agree.. No more restictions, no more do's and don'ts .. just balance.

With the re-programming, yeah i guess it is thinking. So just by changing from Restrictions , do's and don'ts and full on excersize routines to new thoughts such as having a regular sized coffee instead of a large and still enjoying it. Going for a walk because its a nice day, or going for a walk becasue its a cold winter night and just the elements on my face make me feel like im alive and live on this amazing planet. Not buying biscuites becasue i WILL eat them all. I just know that i will. I have tried to over come that and ive tried to not buy them but then i forget and i buy them again and i pig out and then feel miserable. But now, I just know that i cannot buy them. Simple. That pattern is now set. Hope im making sense. So i can still EAT them.. at friends places or whatever. It's not a NO. Its a change of patterning.

Just by realising the FIRST action that then causes the following act i.e buying pack of biscuits then eating them all..followed by the terrible feeling..
Take that FIRST action out of the equation. Simple. ANd no excuses. No more, "i have to buy them coz i have friends coming over" or "the kids like them" Just no. They are just excuses.

PLus, i am also now saying to myself, I dont binge. I just dont.
I was never an AWARE Binger. I always started off by just wanting to taste everything i bought at the supermarket when i got home.. and before i knew it i had got through nearly all of the crap and opened everything available to eat.. of course it then continues becasue to stop means you have to face the damage done. So now i question WHY i want to eat something.. look at where abouts in the day i am for dinner or luch or whatever and allow a snack if its inbetween meals or just have lunch if its nearer to lunch time.

ANd .. i knwo i'm babbling but i really want to pass on this knowledge.. one more VITAL thing i've learnt... well. . 2 more things..
1. Not to make Weight the biggest pleaser or upsettter in my life
2. Not to make food the most exciting part of the day or the most exciting part of catching up with friends to pig out with etc..

Just those two things are major keys to my change in thought.

Indi :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcTlU53/]
[img]

One day at a time.
Focused
Fit
Balanced
Indi3

Postby Athena » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:16 pm

*clap clap clap* bravo
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby wilmawalrus » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:22 pm

I love where you're coming from Indi3 - thanks for reminding me about the whole idea of not focussing on food so much - it makes such a difference when you put it into perspective as being a small part of everyday life (in terms of it's impact) - then it doesn't HAVE so much of an impact!!
(not sure if that sounds exactly right, but hope you get what I mean!)

Cheers, Lisa x

Finished detox but staying on track - and it's paying off!!
wilmawalrus

Postby Indi3 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:49 pm

Yeah i gotcha Wilmawalrus! ..
[img]

One day at a time.
Focused
Fit
Balanced
Indi3

Postby jessica86 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:26 pm

whenever i have something real bad like a huge mcdonalds breakfast, its usually because ive said to myself, 'right starting from next week or 2moro or wateva, no more of this, so this will be the last time i ever have any, so i have to eat heaps of it now cuz its my last chance!'

problem is, this happens over & over again....

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby Indi3 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:36 pm

Jess, thats such a classic! And thats why diets aren't always the best way to lose weight. I did that for years and years .. now, i am making lifestyle changes.. no cant have's or restrictions.. coz i'll just go and say to myself, well, i cant have any of that so i'll eat heaps of it now and bla bla bla.. you know the rest.
We have to be kind to ourselves, not have so much pressure to lose weight. Slow and steady wins the race. As 'they' say.

Indi :)
[img]

One day at a time.
Focused
Fit
Balanced
Indi3

Postby Strawberry » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:45 pm

i agree with everything you've say!
i have 2 slowly change my mindset! i've been reading: the ultimate weight solution by dr phil - a lot of what he's written is simple & basic & doable. i've realised i've been making weight loss hard by my actions - that is going 2 change, not all at once, just one at a time: the no pressure approach.
Strawberry

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk