It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Littlegirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Ok, so we've all seen the commercials for windsor pilates etc, but does anyone know does it actually assist with weight loss or just tone up? I thought that to lose weight you need to increase your heart rate? Would love some feedback.

Littlegirl :D

Re: Pilates

Postby SarahC » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi :) I think it does burn a few calories but not a whole lot. Mostly I think it's good for toning and core strength. Moderate or high intensity cardio would be better for weight loss as it burns more calories and that's what it's all about! Still do the pilates though as it's good for you!

Postby ~Paste~ » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:02 pm

I did windsor Pilates in Highschool, i lost a dress size with it and it did tone and make me more flexible. I remember i really enjoyed doing it and couldnt wait to get up in the mornings to do it :D !

Goal Weight by 25/6/2008: 100
Goal Weight by 11/6/2009: 85
Goal Weight by 25/12/2009: 70

Postby SammyTurtle » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:22 pm

I started doing it but was struggling to find the 20mins - 1/2 hour in my day to take time and focus on it. Maybe i should try doing it before bed time :? it felt good and wasn't overly hard.

Postby Strawberry » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:33 pm

i did 20 min pilates dvd this morning - found it great 4 my abs. hoping this will b enough to tone my abs. i hate doing crunches & sit ups.

Postby Strawberry » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:38 pm

came across this article one ninemsn:

Meet pilates trainer to the stars Mari Winsor
By Georgia Cassimatis, April 29, 2008.

With so many celebrities such as Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Meg Ryan, and Sheryl Crowe choosing Pilates, we ask trainer to the stars, Mari Winsor, why it's still a hot favourite.

"The reason celebrities like Pilates is because it works; it's a no-nonsense, easy, safe way of training," says Winsor. "It's guaranteed to shape and sculpt long, lean muscles in a fraction of the time of other workouts, and help individuals lose weight through a low-intensity, calorie-burning workout."

Winsor's reasons why celebrities love Pilates:

Takes inches off your body: it elongates your muscles creating a long, lean muscle, so the body lengthens. Usually people lose a lot of inches because of this. A lot will do Pilates up to four times a week for three weeks before they start a movie or have an important event, because they know they'll lose an inch off their bodies.
Safe: people know they're not going to get injured because it's not jarring to the joints, which is why a lot of athletes also incorporate Pilates into their training.
Reduces stress levels: for celebrities and most of us in general, stress is a huge health factor in our lives. People are much more health conscious than they used to be.
Time effective: time is a big constraint for Hollywood celebrities because their schedules are really busy. In one hour they get a safe, intense workout that leaves them feeling rejuvenated, not worn out.
An all-over body workout: it's great for tackling cellulite. It tones the arms, changes the shape of your legs, flattens your stomach, firms your backside, trims your thighs, and can correct certain imbalances in your body.
Strengthens the body: it's great for people who have weak areas like a bad back or who want to be more flexible. I also have tapes for the elderly so they can keep stretching and maintain their flexibility a little longer.
To get results:
Do it three to four times a week. After 10 times you will feel different and start to see a difference.

The hot exercise:

The Hundred: it works your lungs, heart and circulation, while lengthening your legs, arms, and strengthening your stomach — all in just one minute!

To do: lie flat on your back with your arms at your side. Bring knees to chest and stretch legs to 90 degree angle. Roll up, chin down and pump arms to count of 100.

Postby milkyway » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:17 am

It's a shame pilates is so boring :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:48 am

Some say the same thing about running, San! :lol:
(Not that I'm one of them of course!)

I really enjoy pilates. It will help you lose weight in a similar way to any other exercise because all movement burns calories. It's true it doesn't burn as many calories as cardio, and it doesn't build as much muscle bulk as weights. But it will tone your muscles. It will strengthen your core muscles. And the most important thing: you can't eat while you're doing it! So if you throw on a pilates DVD at a time when you're usually snacking you'll cut calories naturally! :lol:

If you enjoy pilates by all means do it regularly. For more dramatic weight loss and general fitness you should also combine it with cardio a few times a week and some resistant and/or weight work.

Return to Weight loss Talk