It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Free Newsletter

Pro Fitness Training

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Pro Fitness Training

Postby Purifixio » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:39 pm

Hello, new member here and glad to have stumbled into this forum.

So, hey, does any of you undergo training under pro fitness trainers currently? Are they effective? Um, expensive? Would appreciate any discussion on this topic.

Thanks and more power.
Purifixio

Re: Pro Fitness Training

Postby Strawberry » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:47 am

Hi & welcome.
Do you mean personal trainers? i had one 2 years ago but can't afford one now.
Strawberry

Postby SarahC » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:17 am

I don't use a personal trainer, and don't even go to any consultations at the gym to have them do my program. I just make up my own programs that I get off the net, and take those with me. Way better, plus I get something that's suited to me, my fitness levels and time restraints :D
SarahC

Postby ali76 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Sarah, what site do you use? That sounds great!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby SarahC » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:53 pm

I'm doing the Metabolic Surge program at the moment, that's http://www.metabolicsurge.com - the workouts are all set out in the book, and there's a worksheet that you print out and take with you to the gym. I've now started doing up my whole program on a spreadsheet so I know what's on what day, without having to refer back to the book. Plus that allows me to change things around (like if I've got things on and need to move the workouts around) without getting confused!

I've just got myself a copy of Escalating Density Training - http://www.escalatingdensity.com and going through that. I'm making myself up a spreadsheet right now (don't tell my boss!)

Another one that's good is Firm and Flatten Your Abs, by Dave Grissaffi... cannot remember where I got that from. Try google :wink:
SarahC

Postby Strawberry » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:34 pm

if u go 2 amazon.com u can find some great books. i also googled & about.com has great routines.
Strawberry

Postby jilliansmyhero » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:48 pm

im currently using a online personal trainer.
jilliansmyhero

Postby Feblixert » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 pm

Hello, Purifixio, I'm new here too.

I say they are worth it, mate (I should know, I tried one). I had a huge weight problem before and a blood pressure that went up with it. But with a personal trainer, I kissed over 15 kgs of weight goodbye and my blood pressure significantly lowered. It was fantastic!
Feblixert

Postby ali76 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:09 pm

jilliansmyhero wrote:im currently using a online personal trainer.

Ooohh.....how does that work?!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby cherry847 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:59 pm

Hey Purifixio,

I have a personal trainer and it's fantastic! Yes it can be expensive depending on where you go but there are some reasonable ones out there. I go once a week with my sister and it costs us $45 each, and I don't have a gym membership, she just brings all the equipment and everything. I think it's great because they give you exercises based at your current level and as professionals they are trained to know areas of weakness and design a program around then (for example I have a bad back so I worked on core strengthening). I lost so much more weight with one than I ever did on my own, plus they moniter your progress and can make training more interesting like doing boxing and things. And finally, technique is so important when working out and they can help you with those things too! It's also the extra motivation....

I know people who have had bad experiences with them but if you do your research you can get a good one, I've been with mine for about a year and a half now and it's honestly the best investment in my health I've ever made but that's just me!!

Good luck if you decide to get one!
This week's goal... control portion sizes!
cherry847

Postby Purifixio » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Hello, everyone. Wow! Thank you for the responses so far! They're all very informational. Yes, I did mean personal trainers.

Again, thanks.
Purifixio

Postby Purifixio » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Feblixert wrote:Hello, Purifixio, I'm new here too.

I say they are worth it, mate (I should know, I tried one). I had a huge weight problem before and a blood pressure that went up with it. But with a personal trainer, I kissed over 15 kgs of weight goodbye and my blood pressure significantly lowered. It was fantastic!

15 kgs?! Wow! That's great! I got a weight problem too and I want to knock off some (though not as much as that, hehehe). Hey, where did you train?

Thanks.
Purifixio

Postby Purifixio » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:52 pm

cherry847 wrote:Hey Purifixio, I have a personal trainer and it's fantastic! Yes it can be expensive depending on where you go but there are some reasonable ones out there. I go once a week with my sister and it costs us $45 each, and I don't have a gym membership, she just brings all the equipment and everything.

Hey, that's great to hear, cherry! Well, that's convenient! Never heard of fitness training not done in the gym before.

I think it's great because they give you exercises based at your current level and as professionals they are trained to know areas of weakness and design a program around then (for example I have a bad back so I worked on core strengthening). I lost so much more weight with one than I ever did on my own, plus they moniter your progress and can make training more interesting like doing boxing and things. And finally, technique is so important when working out and they can help you with those things too! It's also the extra motivation....

Wow, they are that sensitive and methodical, eh? That's cool. Yeah, I supposed having someone coaching you really spells the difference to going at it alone, eh?

I know people who have had bad experiences with them but if you do your research you can get a good one, I've been with mine for about a year and a half now and it's honestly the best investment in my health I've ever made but that's just me!! Good luck if you decide to get one!

Yeah, I've heard those stories from some people I knew. Hey, thanks for you insights, I'll definitely do my research now.

Again, thanks.
Purifixio

Postby Feblixert » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:35 pm

Purifixio wrote:
Feblixert wrote: 15 kgs?! Wow! That's great! I got a weight problem too and I want to knock off some (though not as much as that, hehehe). Hey, where did you train? Thanks.

Hehehehe, you're lucky you won't get to suffer the same degree of agony as me. Yeah, I trained at Fitness Crew here in Australia (just Google their new website).

@jilliansmyhero Online fitness training? Well, that's interesting. Yeah, exactly how does that work?
Feblixert

Postby jilliansmyhero » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:17 pm

hey, well ive been thru 2 kinda, 1 lady i brought a program which was already written out that anyone who went on her website could buy and a link gets sent to your email addy and u click to get a ebook with 12wks of exercising. the 2nd was a online personal trainer who every 4wks redesigned the program she designed just for me, but i guess the only prob with online programs and trainers is u cant see them face to face, its easier to well lie about how ur doing- u really need to want to do it if your gonna try going through any online person- goodluck everyone.
jilliansmyhero

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk