It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:55 am

Free Newsletter

snack attack

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

snack attack

Postby garn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:38 pm

i have a really bad habit going...

i eat healty all day long....until i get home from work...from that moment on i snack constantly until dinner.....which i eat...then snack a bit more until bed time....

i do it even if i am not hungry and as im doing it i think 'this is bad stop it'...but i dont.
any ideas on how to get around this habit?

thanks
anita

Mini Goal 100
garn

Re: snack attack

Postby SarahC » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:06 pm

I don't know. I do exactly the same thing, although I eat dinner as soon as I get home, so don't snack beforehand. It's just after dinner.... :(

Will be interested to hear other's comments :)
SarahC

Postby ali76 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:23 pm

I do it too....I just try to keep myself distracted!! Reading a book, drinking water, exercise, housework, etc...

If anyone finds a miracle solution.....send it my way!!!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby curvygirl » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:26 pm

Try cutting up lots of veges and snacking on them and then it doesnt really matter how much you eat.
I am guilty of this habit but often eat so much I dont feel like dinner.
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:49 pm

I definitely vote for the Curvygirl's suggestion of pre-preparing veggies (and/or fruit) so that they're ready for snacking. It could also help if you snack-proof your home. If you don't buy it you can't eat it. If you only have healthy snacks, like veggies or rice thins, then snacking isn't going to do as much damage. The other bonus of having veggies and fruit as the only available snacks is that it can help sort out if you are really hungry or not. If I have an apple in the fridge and I don't want to eat it then I know I'm not really hungry and I'm trying to satisfy some other need. Then it's just a matter of figuring out what that other need is!

If you're like me and you tend to go back for seconds or thirds of dinner it can help if you immediately put leftovers into containers in the fridge after you have your meal. That way you know they're set aside for the next day and they're not a free snack.

I also think Ali's suggestion of keeping busy is a good one. I spent hours yesterday doing art and didn't think of food once. Knitting is a good way to keep your hands busy as well.

If you need something in your mouth you could buy some sugar free lollies or even chew sugar free gum.

And any time you feel like a snack make sure you have a glass of water first. Sometimes we confuse thirst with hunger. And if you like herbal tea you could always make sure you have a cup handy. That will satisfy any need for taste sensation, will hydrate you and will help you relax (often snacking is a method of stress relief).

I hope you find a solution that works for you!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Lush Gal » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:06 pm

Yep, evilwombatqueen is right - don't buy it, and you don't eat it!

I am a sucker for slathering butter on bread after work pre-dinner, and have started freezing my loaf of bread so I only eat it as toast for breakfast. Works a treat for me, if it's not *right there ready to eat* I can take the time to overcome the craving.
Lush Gal

Postby Athena » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:43 pm

I do this to. When I get home from work I'm really hungry, but I'll need to wait about 40 min for dinner so I snack horably in that time. The vegies idea is a good one me thinks
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby Robsnackattack » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:23 pm

This is my biggest problem too. I agree with the knitting comment. It definately keeps hands busy, so no time to get snacks. I've been thinking about having a snack all afternoon because I had such an early lunch. That's why I'm on this site because I'm getting desperate.
Robsnackattack

Postby Tarz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:54 pm

Ali has put the best piece of advise on here:
EvilWombatQueen wrote:If I have an apple in the fridge and I don't want to eat it then I know I'm not really hungry and I'm trying to satisfy some other need. Then it's just a matter of figuring out what that other need is!

Get rid of the snacking food like, biscuits, chips etc If your feeling snacky and turn down the apple then clearly your not hungry.
And if you eating out of boredom, find something to do. I clean or go for a walk or shop. Find something that works for you and you'll be fine.
If you problem is snack at night then brush your teeth, the musli bar doesn't taste as good afterwards.
Tarz

Postby garn » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:27 pm

It has been very diffucult of late as my husband has given up smoking and substituted it for lollies.... he also seems to be constantly hungry...and is a very fussy bloke....so its chips and frozen deserts and cream buns for his morning tea and so on...sigh.... made it through last night but when i had a really good look in the pantry/freezer/fridge noticed there really wasnt that much healthy stuff to eat....will have to go shopping to rectify that.

:)

Mini Goal 100
garn

Postby Strawberry » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:23 pm

Lush Gal wrote:started freezing my loaf of bread s.

i've started doing the same! i either take out a serve the night b4 4 next day's lunch or toast it.
Strawberry

Postby Strawberry » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:30 pm

if i'm working from home i have 2 keep myself in my study & not keep wondering into the kitchen & make sure i'm occupied otherwise i graze all day. when i get home from work i take my pup 4 a walk straight away then start cooking dinner & if i have 2 snack i make sure its vegetables. Afternoon snack attacks is my biggest challenge its the time i want to mindlessly eat.
Strawberry

Postby meegs » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:10 pm

I chew gum. It sometimes helps with the cravings (altho I know it probably looks gross but at home who cares!), it also keeps my mouth busy and food tastes yucky for a bit after that!
Cheers
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZmhU33/]
[/url]
meegs

Postby Strawberry » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Strawberry wrote:if i'm working from home i have 2 keep myself in my study & not keep wondering into the kitchen & make sure i'm occupied otherwise i graze all day. when i get home from work i take my pup 4 a walk straight away then start cooking dinner & if i have 2 snack i make sure its vegetables. Afternoon snack attacks is my biggest challenge its the time i want to mindlessly eat.

i also found i'm most stressed in the afternoons, another danger zone.
i fill up on water, teas and a protein based snack it's helped with my overeating

i have to be really careful on weekends not to eat just cos the bf is eating - this is when i usually eat a couple teaspoons of chocolate ice-cream just cos he's eating. i don't usually want most time eat it just cos lol
Strawberry

Postby MissMinx » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Agree with have some nice healthy veggies on hand!! there is no guilt there whatsoever!

I come home around 6pm from work every day and I just go straight upstairs, wash my make up off, get changed and start exercising. Thats been my routine in the last 6 weeks but prior to that yep I use to come home and have some sort of a snack before dinner time e.g. cereal cravings!
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk