It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:34 am

Free Newsletter

Why Should I Want It??? (help please!)

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Why Should I Want It??? (help please!)

Postby rivenriver » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:48 am

So every time I think of a reason for trying to loose weight again, I think of a reason not to. Not like a pro-con thing, but something that totally cancels out the first thing. Like my health? I'm already very healthy, my weight isn't in my way there. Or clothes? I work at City Chic, so I've got piles of really nice clothes plus a staff discount. Energy? Got it, and then some. Self-esteem? Lacking, yeah, but to think that loosing weight is automatically going to fix my life is silly and unrealistic. And for the most part, I'm happy with me. Confidence? Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't, but when I don't it's because I feel like people think I'm stupid, not fat. Kids? Don't have them, don't want them.

And yet I am struck by this idea that I should be trying to loose weight. I just can't seem to find a reason that outweighs that bit of chocolate, cos the vague idea seems rather silly when I'm feeling rational.

So, can anyone maybe motivate me? Why should I be trying to loose weight? Cos I don't know. I really don't.
rivenriver

Re: Why Should I Want It??? (help please!)

Postby ali76 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:41 am

Rivenriver, maybe you dont want to lose weight!

I think women have this notion in their head that we should always be on a 'diet' or trying to lose weight....that we should feel bad about having a piece of cake or some chocolate.

If you're happy with yourself, then see that as a positive - cos it is one and there aren't enough people (especially women) who are!! Stuff what you think you SHOULD be thinking or doing! Exercise to keep your body healthy - eat plenty of fruit and veg to nourish your body, but if you want some chocolate - have it!!

If you don't know why you should lose weight, my thoughts are you don't need to! :mrgreen:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Athena » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:27 pm

I probebly agree with that. Are you sure your completely healthy? Your happy with the way you are? Are fit enough to live your life well? Then you don't need to lose weight. If you have a reason to, you generally know it!
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby rivenriver » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:14 pm

Thing is, I'm supposedly morbidly obese, according to bmi. I don't exactly look it, cos I'm tall and heavy-set, but "the rules" say I should be 40kg lighter than I am. And when I hear my friends berating the fact that they are "fat", that they need to become a size 8 because a size 10 or 12 is too big, I guess I just think that I should be doing the same - especially since I'm twice as big as they are. And I've been supposed to be loosing weight my whole life, because I was a fat kid. Everywhere I look, the world is telling me that I need to loose weight, that I should be smaller than I am. So I guess I should be doing that. But I can't work out why.
rivenriver

Postby ali76 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Hun, if you're happy and HEALTHY, who cares what they all think?!

If you're 40 kilos over your healthy weight range, a reason could be your health...perhaps have a chat with your GP?
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby rivenriver » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:49 pm

Healthy weight is a bit of a dubious concept to my biology-student mind. I don't accept that a normal function of the body such as storing excess material for use at a later date is intrinsically unhealthy, and I think that there are far more important indicators of health such as cholesterol levels or blood pressure - these things have actually been proven as indicators of health or causes of disease, while excess weight is very up in the air, and the more research papers I read on the topic, the more I think that weight in and itself is neither good nor bad. HOWEVER finding a GP who also has this view, rather than accepting the status quo of the media and outdated ideas and assumptions without actual scientific evidence to back them up isn't so simple. Nor is having a regular GP at a university health service - they tend to do a few months then leave. But, since everything else has recently come back perfect, I'm working off the assumption I'm healthy.
rivenriver

Postby Strawberry » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:13 pm

from what i've read it sounds like u have an excuse/justification 2 back every suggestion made. it reads like u don't want 2 lose weight & r seeking permission not 2(?)
if u want it- do it! if you don't its not going 2 happen.
at the end of the day it comes down 2 what u want 2 do - its as easy & hard as that.
Strawberry

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:08 pm

I'm glad you're looking at this from a health and self-esteem point of view rather than going by what the media says women should look like. Good on you!

As to giving you reasons for losing weight... the only reason I could possibly think of is disease prevention. You may be super healthy now but I'm assuming you're also quite young.

Once you start getting older your joints aren't as friendly to you as they were in your younger days. You lose fat padding on the soles of your feet making you more prone to plantar fasciitis (it most commonly strikes middle-aged overweight women - I got it at 30 and I was 'only' overweight, not obese or morbidy obese). It's also far easier to put on additional weight as you get older. So you might be happy with your weight now but would you be happy if another 20 or 30 kilos crept up on you? And would you still be as healthy then? You also start to be less active as you age as well, so getting into good exercise habits while you're young can help establish healthier patterns for when you get older. Age and weight are also factors in type 2 diabetes. You might not have it now, but you may find you become insulin resistant as you get older. Losing weight will help prevent that.

But all of this is long-term. So while there is not much incentive for you to try and lose weight quickly there is certainly incentive to monitor your lifestyle and try to lose a little weight before you hit 40. The best thing about this is that it means you can lose the weight very slowly, which means fewer radical changes to your lifestyle and that you will be more likely to keep it off long term.

Good luck no matter what you decide!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Jisgone » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:40 pm

hey welcome along :)

i was morbidly obese when i started this weight loss thing and i honestly think unless u REALLY REALLY want it it just wont happen
if your having trouble convincing yourself to do it everything will be too much of a struggle and you wont get results
alot of people on here talk about a 'lightbulb' moment where u suddenly find the motivated and drive and your in the right frame on mind to lose weight
maybe your light bulb moment just hasnt come yet :)
Jisgone

Postby rivenriver » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:31 pm

It's not that I'm seeking permission not to - if that was the case, I wouldn't be here, I can justify to myself exactly why I shouldn't care about loosing weight. It's just that whenever I have a should I / shouldn't I moment, the 'try and loose weight' argument has no substance, nothing going for it. Yet I still feel like I should try and loose weight. I'm just a bit confused.

The whole future thing is true... I mean, EVERYONE gets fat when they hit 40. Just because I'm already fat, does that make me immune? I'll probably get fatter, I guess... And what with a family history of heart issues and seriously dodgy knees... I guess if I think about that? But it's so far away!! I can't even know if I'll still be alive when I'm 40!

I don't know about a lightbulb moment... I've certainly had them, but they never seem to stick. And the last time I got serious about this whole thing, there was no moment, I just did it for some reason. I agree with you on the wanting it thing - that's the problem though!!
rivenriver

Postby ali76 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:35 pm

How old are you Rivenriver?
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby rivenriver » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:40 pm

20. 21 in November.
rivenriver

Postby ali76 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:46 pm

I don't really know what else to say to be honest!

It's one of those things that to succeed, you have to really, really want it - not be talked into it or need validation, a bit like quitting smoking.

If you lose weight for any other reason, I have no doubt you'll chuck it in and put the weight back on.

If you're happy and not concerned about the future, or the benefits of being in a healthy weight range, there's not much we can say! Enjoy being happy!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby rivenriver » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:53 pm

Oh well, at least there isn't something painfully obvious that I'm missing...
rivenriver

Postby SarahC » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:03 pm

Lol, I'm 31. 21 seems like yesterday. And tomorrow I'll be 40!! Seriously, it sneaks up on you!!! :shock:

I think it's great that you are happy with your body etc. Just make sure you stay healthy. Maybe a check up at the docs just to be sure :)
SarahC

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk