It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:02 pm

Free Newsletter

When you plateau

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

When you plateau

Postby Littlegirl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi, Just wondering after you lose some weight is it normal to just plateau for a few weeks, or does this necessarily suggest that you need to start looking more at your dietary intake and weekly exercise?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNU4AQX/]
[/url]
Littlegirl

Re: When you plateau

Postby cherry847 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:48 am

Hi Littlegirl,

Plateauing is definately normal! I think just about everyone who has lost weight has reached at least one at one point or another. Our bodies are amazing creations and will adapt to whatever you're doing quite quickly, which is why personal trainers generally recommend you change up your exercise routine every 6 weeks or so as your body gets used to it which can be very frustrating.

Depending on what you're doing (daily calorie intake, exercise, etc) you will probably need to change it up. If you're already on a low calorie intake then you might want to include a higher calorie day to get your body confused and increase your metabolism. Or if you've been having the same calories since the beginning it might be time to decrease them a little because the smaller you are, the less calories you need.. but make sure you're getting the right amount otherwise your body can go into starvation mode (another unhealthy plateau!). Otherwise maybe having an extra exercise day per week will be what you need. The Calorie King website has great information about diet too if you haven't already checked it out!

Hope this has been helpful, GOOD LUCK and I'm sure you will break through it! :D
This week's goal... control portion sizes!
cherry847

Postby Athena » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:50 pm

plateaus happen. Sometimes the right thing to do is change the types of foods your eating. Still go with healthy food, but make it different healthy food
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:57 pm

I plateaued at the start of the year and I found SparkPeople was very useful in beating it.

How to jump start your weight loss during a plateau.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Littlegirl » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Thanks guys for the helpful advice, and thank you Ali for the website, it explains everything really well!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNU4AQX/]
[/url]
Littlegirl

Postby Strawberry » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:12 pm

i've hit a plateau ATM.
i became complacent with exercise & just relied on eating low kj/fat foods. i wasn't recording every little thing i ate, nor measuring. i saw what needed changing/improving so i've signed up 2 calorie king to be more accountable - its better than keeping my own food dairy as i can see all nutritional targets etc. & i've set myself a 30 day exercise challenge to finally see a 69 instead of a 70 lol
Strawberry

Return to Weight loss Talk