It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:02 pm

Free Newsletter

About to Start Cohen's Program

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

About to Start Cohen's Program

Postby WaddleBottom » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi :)

I hope that I'm posting this in the correct area.

My story... I am about to start (within the next couple of weeks) on the Cohen's program. I know a lot of people have reservations about the program, as did I. But I've seen a close family friend who had been a yo-yo dieter for 20 years lose about 20kgs on Cohen's a few years ago (back before it was even offered in Australia and she had to pay $3,000+ to do it through a clinic in the US)... and for the first time in her life, and much to my surprise... 3 years later she's kept to her goal weight. It was never unusual to see this lady lose large amounts of weight as she always had great determination to stick to every diet that came along, but within a few months of reaching her goal she'd be back to her old weight or even heavier. Which is precisely what I expected to happen again when she finished with this "crazy" program she'd told me about. But this time that hasn't happened. My partner's mother has also recently lost 25kgs+ on Cohen's and despite not following the program to the letter of the law and breaking the diet prior to the "refeed" she hasn't put on any additional weight over the past 6 months. And that's why I've decided to try it myself. I want to stop my own personal yo-yo.

I haven't stepped on the scales yet to complete my application... but I would guestimate that I weigh approximately 67+kgs. I don't have a drastic amount of weight to lose... but I do want to make a drastic change and stop the yo-yo weight cycle I've put my body through over the course of my life (I'm 31). The past few years especially, I have fluctuated between 72-52kgs... and have stablised at around 65 the past year, but it's a very unhealthy 65 and it FEELS too much for my frame. So I've decided to take this drastic step to make a change.

I would love to hear from anyone here who has done the program themselves :) Any tips, advice or feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

I've decided to join a forum like this as a way to try to inspire myself to keep going. I find hearing the success of other people is really motivational, but most of my friends can't relate to trying to lose weight as most of them are naturally very slim. So I hope to read through the forum and get my mindset ready to tackle what's ahead :)
WaddleBottom

Re: About to Start Cohen's Program

Postby warriorcat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:49 pm

I know someone that did Cohens and she lost about 16kg. She looked fabulous and she did it with her work (they worked in a canteen) and they all supported each other and found it easy. But she ended up putting the weight back on when she changed jobs because she felt out of wack and out of routine. So she got back on that horse and has now lost 11kg and is nearly there again. She has learnt a lot about eating and stuff and fitting it into everyday life.

Good luck with it! I'm sure you will do well on it! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wkR2Tlx/]
[/url]
warriorcat

Postby WaddleBottom » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks so much Warriorcat :)

I definitely want to avoid doing the yo-yo, which is the only reason I'm prepared to shell out this much money ($750 :| ). Having seen two of the worst yo-yo dieters I've ever known lose so much weight and stabilise long term (even when they've gone back to a "normal" eating habits) has really given me a lot of faith that with some effort and changing a few life-long bad habits, I can break the cycle too.

I'm guessing this goes against what everyone is told about weight loss... but I actually think trying a regimented program will HELP me. I've never stuck to a particular diet in my life. I've lost weight before (over 15kgs) which didn't include a set diet at all, just more exercise and cutting out bad foods... but as soon as I reached my goal and relaxed it was so easy to incorporate a few bad things here and there and I felt as though I was still being "good". And over the last 12 months my weight has just crept up and up slowly again.

I know I could do it again the way I did it last time... but I think my mind needs a serious "snap" to break some bad cycles. I also feel as though I'll feel more commited to this due to the financial investment. I HAVE to take this seriously and stick to it. There's no grey area with this diet... and it sounds odd, but I think that's what I need at this point.

I'm not actually starting the program until the beginning of September because I'm going away for a long weekend and I asked them if I'm best to start now or wait until I'll be able to start the first few weeks at least without upsetting the program and they suggested I wait.

If I can do as well as your friend (and not fall off the wagon) I will be VERY happy :)

Thanks again for your feedback. It's always good to hear other people's stories!
WaddleBottom

Postby warriorcat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:41 pm

Don't worry Waddlebottom, as long as you have the right attitude, you can achieve anything in the world. :)

I think sometimes these diet programs are good because they can be quite educational. I don't know too much about Cohens, but my friend said that it was like Atkins but not as fatty or as extreme. I think the problem with so many of the past diet programs over the years is that they teach how to lose weight, but not how to maintain the weight.

I did the shakes diet (Celebrity Slim) at the start of the year to give me a kick and i found it really useful. Now that i'm not on it i still incorporate what i've learned into every day life and i'm sure you will be able to do the same on Cohens.

You totally sound like me in regards to when you've lost weight! It's easy to get complacent when you're thinner and think it's okay to skip a walk or eat chips etc.

I think you'll be fine on Cohens, because you've lost weight in the past, gained it again but you recognise what when wrong and why you gained it all back and now you're looking to change that and you've learnt from your mistakes. I think that is really important on this journey!

Good luck! I'm sure you will flourish! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wkR2Tlx/]
[/url]
warriorcat

Postby WaddleBottom » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks so much WarriorCat; you're so sweet! :mrgreen:

You've totally hit all of the nails on the head... for me it's so much about attitude... I really DO need to avoid becoming complacent and I really do need to make life-long changes and adapt my eating habits so that I use food as a fuel to help me lead a great life, rather than using food as a crutch and letting it control my life.

It all sounds so simple... living by it will be the hard (but hopefully fun) part! :)

It sounds as though you've already turned that corner... congratulations!!! I think that's probably more important than any kg's lost on the scales... because long term it'll make the biggest difference to our lives and well being.
WaddleBottom

Return to Weight loss Talk