It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Free Newsletter

Duromine HELP!!!!!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Duromine HELP!!!!!

Postby kittyhello » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:51 am

Hi everyone !

I am new to this forum....i want to explain my situation and would love advice!

My name is Jemma, I am 22 years old living in Melbourne . I currently weigh 73 Kilo's. I am not sure whether people see this to be overweight, but i do know i weighed 15 kilo's less , less than 5 or 6 months ago! And i think by the end of the year i will be another 15 kilo's extra! I hope not! I have been eating well and excercising and looking after myself!
I have tried every diet possible and cannot seem to get back to my normal weight! At the moment i really hate myself when i look in the mirror- and am starting to feel very depressed about this :(

So....I have been reading forums and trying to do my own investigations! And i have read about this drug called duromine! I would never intend on rely on this but thought it may be a good kick start! i have been to a couple of doctors now but they will not prescribe me to duromine! Due to that fact that they disagree with the use of this drug.
Has anyone else had trouble getting this medication??

I have considered buying it online from overseas, but i really don't want to risk being scammed and have heard to many stories of pple loosing there money! And i cannot afford this!

If anyone is in the same boat and could make any suggestions as to how i could get some of this , please let me know!

And, by the way no, i am NOT a druggy or a weirdo- as i know some pple who take this drug may abuse it. I am just simple melbourne girl- looking for answers!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks everyone

Jemma.

xx
kittyhello

Re: Duromine HELP!!!!!

Postby SarahC » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:58 am

Do you know what has caused the weight gain? Have you been eating more than usual, or is it completely unexplained? I would say maybe head off to the doctors and see what they can do. You would have to go there to get a prescription for the duromine anyway. If you are not eating excessive amounts of food, then it could be a hormonal imbalance, or some other kind of medical problem - get it checked out! :wink:

I know how you feel as I stacked on a bit of weight (about 4kgs though) very quickly and can't shift it either. I'm scared it may just continue no matter what I do! So, I understand, you do get very desperate and almost willing to try anything. Keep your chin up, there WILL be an answer!
SarahC

Postby Tarz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi Jemma, welcome to the forum.

First of all i would just like to say to gain 15 kilos in less then 5-6 months is not normal. Maybe you should go see the doc incase there is a reason for this.
I have no experience myself with Duromine but i have heard alot of horror stories about extreme mood swings, depression and hullucinations so you would want to be very careful if you were to take it. If doctors don't like to prescribe it then there is usually a very good reason for that. Maybe go see one, ask them questions and become very well educated on them. If the doc does not want to prescribe them and you have done alot of research into them and are completely aware of all side affects then persue it another way. Also be aware that if you go on it and do happen to lose weight then come off it you will gain all the weight back. Going on the tablets does not teach you how to look after your body, how to fuel it and end exercise.
What you chose to do is completely your choice and you will get support whatever you choose , just make sure you make the right desicion for you.
Good luck, let us know how you go.
Tarz

Postby WaddleBottom » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:10 pm

I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice in relation to Duromine, but I just wondered if the Dr's you have been to have offered to do any tests to help you determine why you've put on more than your normal weight even though you've been exercising and eating right? There could be an important underlying reason perhaps? One of my friends gained quite a lot of weight a couple of years ago, which was just out of the blue and didn't seem to be related to her diet (which hadn't changed). After a few months of Dr's visits they found she had a chemical imbalance which was causing it... she got some medication and the weight fell right off. Sometimes I think our bodies can be responding to so many different things going on which we don't realise... there may be a simple reason for your struggle the past few months?

I wanted to offer my support too. 3 years ago I was also at about 73kgs (that was the last time I looked at a scale, I'm sure at my heaviest I was considerably more), which was about 20kgs more than my normal weight (and much too much for my small frame). Mind you, the situation was a little different and it was entirely self-inflicted in my case :oops: But how I felt about myself and how I felt when I saw myself in the mirror every day was really hard to contend with. I think regardless of your weight, if you're not feeling your best at the weight you are... it's hard.

I'm sure there is an answer to what you're experiencing right now... and I'm sure you'll find it. Just please don't be too hard on yourself in the meantime.

Good luck!
WaddleBottom

Postby sherry40+ » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:35 am

I totally agree with the others that there could be an underlying problem. For weigh increase on a sensible exercise and diet lifestyle is not normal, has your doctor checked any other possibilities for the problem? I would suggest you need to ask about Thyroid problems. You would be amazed at how many people have this problem. It's a simple blood test to start with and once diagnosed the treatment works quickly.

As for the drug Duromine, I'm currently taking it and have had no problems, but not to say that someone else might find they have huge problems with it. It works differently for each person, and depends on how that person is taking it, what their health is like and why they are taking it. If you already have a healthy diet and life style then it wont work for you. The whole idea of the drug is to switch off the part of the brain that craves food, and helps you then to re-educate yourself with just the health things. I look at forums and see how some people are taking this drug and OH MY no wonder it's not working. Not eating isn't the answer, of course once you stop you'll pack the weight on, there is no life style change and for others if you have underlying health problems it wont work.

If your doctor is just dismissing you that NO you can't have the Duromine and not looking at WHY you are asking for it, then I think you need to either demand he checks you for other health problems or look for another doctor. I think a lot of doctors are so over worked and are seeing way too many patients that they really aren't stopping and looking at the underlying cause. There are a number of doctors who look at people with weight problems and dismiss us as if it's just our fault and not look at the cause. I was lucky my doctor talked about the problem, did a complete health check on me before I took my course of action.

What ever path you follow I hope you find the answer. :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wV5w5se/]
[/url]
sherry40+

Postby Jisgone » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:53 pm

i believe doctors will only prescribe duromine to people who are obese, and having more than one doctor say it isnt for you means maybe you need to try other methods, i dont think buying it online from another country would be the way to go!
if youve given other methods a good try and arent seeing results then ask your doctor to look into what the problems could be, theres a load of medical problems that can prevent weight loss so its important to know all the facts before embarking on a diet :)
Jisgone

Postby grllee1983 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:00 am

Hi Jemma,

I agree with everyone.. there is probably an underlying problem as to why your putting on weight so fast. If you take something like duromine when there is an underlying problem you may end up doing yourself a lot of damage. Doctors will only prescribe Duromine to you if you are obese. It is addictive and the only reason they give it to you is if being overweight is putting more strain on our body than what the drug will. I don't think you are at this stage..
I do know how you feel though.. i have put on 13 kilos since summer 2006/07 and i hate what i see when i look in the mirror.. but duromine is not the answer.. i have tried it before and you only end up putting the weight back on afterwards.

Go to your doctor and get them to check things like your thyroid, etc. They know what they are doing and they will recommend the best thing for your health. If you really want a pill to help you along the way try something off the shelf first and see how you go.

Good luck and keep smiling.. you will get there..

Lee
:)

SW = 83
CW = 81
GW = 63
grllee1983

Postby warriorcat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:09 pm

I am currently on Duromine at the moment. I am not Obese at all, but i have had trouble losing weight (due to some problems) and the doctor tried me on Reductil but that didn't work for me. You still need to eat healthy and frequently with Duromine because it makes you not hungry and you have to remember to eat and more importantly eat the right things. Duromine has worked for me but some people have hideous side effects. I have been fortunate enough not to have any side effects. The main thing Duromine has helped me with is cutting out sugar in my diet and it has given my metabolism a boost plus given me energy so that i can exercise. I believe a lot of is is a placebo as well, as i am wanting this to really work for me so i am being proactive as well.

Duromine is not a wonder drug and it definitely is not for everyone, i think if there is some other issues than you probs need to sort those out before going on Duromine or any weightloss drug/program otherwise the problem will always be there. I have a friend who goes on and off Duromine and Reductil, but she doesn't eat much at all (like only eats dinner which will be mcdonalds or a chocolate bar) and does too much exercise, she loses heaps of weight and then when she stops taking it she stacks on twice as much weight, gets depressed and then goes back on the weightloss drug which she also mixes with anti depressants! (which she takes because she's depressed because of her weight!) really you need to be smart and proactive, and healthy eating and exercise is the best way to do it.

It's like any weightloss program/drug, if you go back to your old habits you will put the weight back on. I don't anticipate putting weight back on because i have changed my whole eating program and lifestyle but my friend goes back to eating junk and puts even more back on!
Feel free to message me if you have anymore questions :)

Hope this helps.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wkR2Tlx/]
[/url]
warriorcat

Postby sentinal » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:10 pm

Here is my story.

I have been on Duromine for 2 weeks an 2 days. I am male in late 20's and started at 121kg's and 6ft 2inches tall.

Here is my experience..... 17kgs lighter after just over 2 weeks

In the first 2 days it was alot like speed. I had heaps and heaps of energy and couldnt get to sleep unitl about 2am. I then altered the way I took it. I got up and took the tablet at 6am and since the 2nd day I have been able to go to sleep easily at about 10:30 - 11:30 each night which is normal for me.

I had to remind myself to eat for the first week as I was not hungry at all. Also you need to drink plenty of water to keep up your fluids.

Since then I have had minor dry mouth - extra is excellent - and also some bad headaches on a few of the days.

Despite this I am into the 3rd week and have lost 17kgs already. None of my clothes fit and I am getting comments from people I know everyday. I want to lose another 17kgs and that is wherre I want to get to. I will post another update after the following 2 weeks to let you know how I have gone.

Again this is just my experience and I have seen and ead lot about this drug. I researched it for ages on the net but mainly only found women that werre taking the drug. Men usually lose weight quicker than women and this has been my experience on this drug. I am on Duromine 30 and it cost $90 form the local chemist prescribed by the doctor.
sentinal

Postby SarahC » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:51 pm

Wow, 17kgs!! Yeah I have a male friend who takes it from time to time... and he just shrinks! But then he grows again after he stops taking it :(
SarahC

Postby Kelsbels » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:35 pm

I lost around 20 kilos very quickly on Duromine, since going off it i have gained 45 kilos....However it work great for my sister she lost about 35 kilos and has kept it off even after having another kid.. It generally depends on your body i guess. There would be know harm in giving it a go just have a chat with you DR.
Kelsbels

Postby jillysmith1 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:35 pm

Hey guys im 24 and I started taking duromine today for the first time after much consideration, i have also enlisted a personal trainer for the last 2 months or so but just seem to be putting on muscle and not losing weight. Im really intersted to see the results of others and see how its affecting them so i can compare to my results. I weigh 90kgs and hope to lose 20.
Today i havnt been hungry in the slightest but i realise that i have to eat or my metabolism will be shot by the time i come off the persciption- i feel like its going to give me time to consider what i eat instead of being starving so going to the fastest and fattiest thing avavliable. i am going to eat lots of small meals of healthy food and let the weight come off at a heathly speed instead of dropping off. i am very weary of putting it all back on!!!

I have a 2 month perscription but will re access after the 1st month and see how i go (im a student so its bloody expensive) and i would rather spend more money on a trainer because i think fitness is way more important that weightloss.

please keep updating your progress i am very intersted.
thanks jilly
jillysmith1

Postby KatMartin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi,
I have been on Duromine in the past. It did make me a little moody. I have recently been through the same thing as you.
I gained about 30 kilos in 12 months. The doctors didnt believe me when i told them i wasnt eating. I had a glucose intollerance test and the test revelled that i dont actually matabolise glucose. When i eat anything sugary my body automatically stores it no matter how much i eat. Now i am on a drug called diabex and its really helping me.
From Katrina
KatMartin

Postby mihza » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:44 pm

Hiii,

i just started taking duromine and am on my 2nd day and am starting to have second thoughts about it. i have done a lot of research on it and can see nothing but negative points! i didnt even no it existd till i went and saw my dr who didnt really hesitate to prescribe it. altho i did have polysistic ovaries which makes it extrmly harder for females to lose weight (me currently being 19 yrs, weighing at 94kgs and jus over 160cm in height)

Has anyone heard of any good outcomes from duromine ? such as losing the weight and keeping it off! All i keep reading is how once u stop taking it u gain all the weight back maybe even double wat was lost . . is that because the body is so used to drug and you hardly eat all day ( where as i still try to have 2 or 3 small meals even if im not hungry) or is it because people are so used to there old eating habbits/lifestyle that they slip back into it not relising and before they no it they are gaining weight ??

That seems to be my main worry atm and the weight i do lose i just want to maintain.

so if anyone has any positive feedback about it or advice besides GET OFF DUROMINE lol, can u please let me knw

thankssss everyone =)
mihza

Postby warriorcat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:43 am

Hi Mihza!!

I am on Duromine and am having no problems or side effects. I did a lot of research on the internet and like you, found mostly negative comments because the people who tried Duromine didn't find that it agreed with them.

I also heard a lot of people say "you put the weight back on afterwards" as if somehow that's all Duromine's fault and not the eating habits of the person taking it. It's like any weight loss tool you use, if you start eating crap and reverting back to your old eating patterns then, yes, of course people are likely to put on weight. I think what people find hard about Duromine is that because it is an appetite suppressant they don't eat very much or forget to eat then when they stop taking it they are starving because they probably haven't been having enough calories and so their bodies were probably in 'starvation mode'.

I took Duromine for a month, then had a month long break and then started again. I didn't have any problems with overeating or gaining weight in my month off, so really i think the weight gain is more the users fault and not the drugs.

What I am doing is maintaining a 1200-1400 calorie diet a day, plus doing 20-30 minutes of exercise a day. Even though I am not hungry, I still eat. I have breakfast quite early and then have the Duromine and I make sure I have a big salad for lunch, 2 pieces of fruit and dinner. The best thing Duromine has done for me is reduce my sugar cravings and allowed me to follow a healthy eating routine. You can probably do this without taking Duromine though, but I have found that Duromine has also helped me with my depression as well.

I know one person that has taken Duromine and lost about 25kg, she didn't do anything crazy and only lost 0.6-1kg a week and she has kept the weight off for 14 months.

I know another girl who has lost about 25kg in 3 months but she is an idiot, and doesn't eat much if at all. Also when she does eat (usually at dinner time) she eats a cheese burger or bar of chocolate. Honestly what's the point of that? She has been on and off Duromine and Reductil for 5 years, ballooning up and down. She loses the weight quickly through not eating, but like other people, because she hasn't learnt new eating habits or actually changed anything, she puts on even more weight than before.

Other people say it's "like speed" and that they have become moody, can't sleep, and have heart palpitations. I never had any of these problems before, but saying that I wasn't obese or anything. I just was finding it hard to lose weight and had a BMI of 27. I think you'll have to try and see. Do things sensibly, ie don't starve yourself or eat little amounts of crap, allow yourself a treat within your calories allowance and if you find that the side effects aren't agreeing with you, then talk to your doctor about stopping or changing to Reductil or consulting a dietitian or something.

The thing is, the people that have had bad experiences wit hit are all going to say "Don't take it, it's like speed!" etc but I know a few people that have had good experiences on it and found that it has worked really well, myself included. :) I think you need to make up your own mind up, because if i had listened to everyone else I would have been too scared to try it!

Good luck with it :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wkR2Tlx/]
[/url]
warriorcat

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk