It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:48 pm

Free Newsletter

Can someone tell me...?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Can someone tell me...?

Postby iris » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:46 pm

Can someone tell me if it is possible to lose 10-20 pounds in a month just by eating fruits and vegetables, exercising around 3-5 times a week and drinking lots of water? Please tell me only if you are very sure. I know all about the health disadvantages but I just want to know if it's possible. Thanks!

Re: Can someone tell me...?

Postby Lexi_1987 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:11 pm

So... you could consider cutting off a limb or two? Then you'd have no trouble.
Yes. It is possible. But i urge you against it. Please be sensible, setting such unrealistic goals is a great way to trigger an eating disorder and trust me... They're no fun at all. Aim for 8-10lb (or around 4-5kgs ) to start with.
Good luck.

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:51 am

Im with lex. Although possible its not healthy and can cause major health issues (not to mentions once you go back to normal eating you will just put it all back on) Id aim for a longer time frame or a smaller loss if i were you.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9

Postby Littlegirl » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:27 pm

In a desperate bid to jump start weight loss for myself i started a 10 day fruit and vege detox a few years back, intially i think i lost about 3 kgs that week, but after that i was too lethargic to continue with that way of eating and had to incorporate other foods that were healthy also like brown rice and rice breads and fresh juices. Like the others have said, it probably is possible, but i dont know how healthy it would be to continue for a month on it.

Postby SarahC » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:15 pm

I agree, a month might not be the best idea. Besides anything else, you would be lacking protein so you might find you are losing muscle, particularly if you are excercising.

I'm sure a week couldn't hurt though, just as a kickstart. The 7-day soup diet is not bad. Here's some useful links...
:arrow: Sacred Heart Diet
:arrow: Soup Diet

Postby growler » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:00 pm

I am absolutely certain that this is achievable. BUT I am with the others. PLEASE don't go there. It is far from a balanced diet, and I can tell you know that a balanced diet is what we all need.
Do yourself a favor and google search "starvation instinct". This is what you will send your body into. In summary, your body will react to this type of diet by storing your food intake as fat and will start drawing its energy source from your muscles and if you keep at it long enough from you organs. This is what leads to the sensation of lethargy.
As a matter of interest the target you have is not unachievable with a VERY tight but well balanced diet. If you can be disciplined you can expect to lose up to 2kg a week without going to the extremes you are suggesting.
Good luck. :D
Remember persistence pays off, so get over it and get on with it!

Postby carinna » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:59 am

Sure, it can be done. But it's not worth it if you ask me. The risks are too great. :(
*Check out my BEFORE and AFTER pics*:
**Comments are always welcome!**

Postby Rosie Peters » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:57 pm

Hang on a minute. You are asking about 10-20lbs, which is about 5 to 10kg. That's one hell of a variation. What do you want - 5kg or 10kg? If 10kg, you are going to be in hospital on a drip by the end of a month if you're not careful and a diet of fruit and veggies sounds very healthy, but, as Sarah C points out, where is your protein? :(

Protein gives you long term energy, (enough to work out briskly 5 times a week) prevents sickness and infection, makes you feel fuller longer and builds and repairs your muscles (whether you hanker for lean or bulky muscles, you have to have plenty of protein).

Please don't think Protein = Atkins diet.

That man gave protein so much undeserved bad press. Lean protein and plenty of complex carbs with some mainly unsaturated fats is the go to lose weight get fit, feel healthy and happy and have a diet you can stick to for a lifetime.

On a balanced diet with sensible regular exercise you might well lose around 3 1/2 - 4kg in the first month. This is because in the first week you can lose around 2kg which is mainly water weight, then lose 1/2 kg a week after that. It may seem slow, but 1/2kg off most weeks, allowing for a few setbacks, is going to get you permanent results.

On a diet of fruit and veggies, you will not have the energy to be able to exercise efficiently, so forget the planned workouts 3-5 days on that type of fad diet. You'll leave yourself wide open for sickness and infection. You will feel bad (grumpy and snappy) and look worse - think dull hair and spotty skin - not the look you were after, I'd reckon.
Rosie Peters

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Well you can in fact get sufficient protein (and iron before someone jumps on that bandwagon) from fruit and veg (mostly from legumes and pulses - beans, lentils etc - and grains like rice rye wheat etc) but you DO have to know your stuff :wink: If you were trying to live on garden salad and steamed veg, then yes, protein would be an issue (except if you don't rid your salad of slugs... mmmmm, extra protein.....!)

And yes, I was just wondering what those lb's would translate into... I think I initially read it as kg, which would be wwaaaaayyyy off possible healthily. But 5kg (10lb) is within the realms of possibility, particularly if you're just starting. 10kg in a month is 2.25kg per week which is not as recommended. If you aim for the 10lb loss (5lg) that's about 1.25kg per week. Much better rate of loss.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Return to Weight loss Talk