It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:48 pm

Free Newsletter

what have you achieved so far this year?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

what have you achieved so far this year?

Postby matchbox » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:14 pm

so this is a thread for us to realise exactly how far we've come so far this year :) if you haven't had any achievements so far, this is to realise that there is still time to achieve something great :mrgreen: there's just under 5 months left for the year, so let's kick some butt!! :mrgreen:
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Re: what have you achieved so far this year?

Postby WaddleBottom » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:25 pm

I love this idea for a thread.

I was just chatting with a great friend of mine the other day. 3 years ago we first connected as friends. Amongst many other "issues" we had to address in our lives... we both wanted to stop the vicious cycle of bad food and no exercise that we'd fallen into over the previous years. I was about 75kgs (I'm only short and this was the most I'd ever weighed in my life, as I'm usually around 55-60). My friend was also heavier than she wanted to be and as beautiful as she was/is she was unhappy that she was quite young and couldn't buy clothes in "normal" stores and was only able to make purchases from plus size stores.

The other day, she was lamenting the fact that she hasn't gotten under double digits yet (even though she's lost maybe 20kgs!!!). And I was lamenting my poor behaviour food/health wise over the last year. Then I reminded her AND myself of just how far we have come since those days.

We really do lose sight of the changes we've made, the progress we've made and the success we've experienced. It was great to get some perspective again and realise we should be PROUD of ourselves. Especially my friend who now shops in the mid size range of "normal" stores!!! It's almost as though we forget how much has actually changed.

So far this year it's been all downhill for me really :oops: But joining this forum is part of my resolve to be where I want to be by the end of the year... and more importantly to make the mental/lifestyle changes needed to stop the yo-yo. I'm taking control and I'm determined not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

I think that's been my one achievement this year; recognising and coming to terms with the emotional/mental wiring that is my downfall... and being prepared to face up to rewiring it all. I think that will be an invaluable help during this next chapter (which is to get back to my old weight and STAY there happily and HEALTHILY).
WaddleBottom

Postby Strawberry » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:03 pm

weight loss wise i haven't achieved yet - early days yet. Ask me again in december and i hope, no i will reply losing 10kgs and being happy with my body.
food wise - this is an ongoing progress. I am stoping the yoyo cycle, i'm working on ditching the diet mentality, i'm working on eating and enjoying food in moderation & portion control.
exercise wise - needs improvement. i need to push a little harder. I'm aiming on making this a lifelong habit too.
Strawberry

Postby SarahC » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:26 pm

So far this year... I worked myself silly from Jan to June and managed to lose 2.5kgs. Then in June, I went overseas for 2 weeks and put on 4kgs. So for all of July and still now, I'm trying to lose it but as yet it's not budging!!

I am learning:
- to cope emotionally with sudden weight gains
- to relax!
- all about hormones and the effect of those on weight gain
- what foods I can eat that might help
- to try and reduce the amount of excercise that I do (very hard!!)
- to eat in response to my body's needs
- to not binge, overeat, or eat for emotional reasons.
SarahC

Postby Tarz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:46 pm

I have lost about ...wait let me calculate...(88 - 73) 15KG
i have gotten back into playing hockey
i have decreased the size of my butt (battle not quite over yet)
I have found my love of cooking again
i have learnt more about nutrition and living healthily
i proved to my fiance that its not just a temporary thing i am doing
i have proved to myself that i was just lazy before.

Still to achieve:
satisfaction with my body, that i can keep a good habit going for longer then 3 months.
Tarz

Postby Athena » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:06 pm

I have achieved:

Stability in my life that allows me to eat well.
I have lost everything that I put on last year.
I have learnt to understand the reasons why
I have survived over a year now doing hard travel time every day. (Only other hard traverlers understand that)
I understand that I am not so ugly as to be unlovable
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby ali76 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:22 pm

Great thread!

- OK, so I've learnt a lot about food, what to eat when and the nutritional value (or lack thereof) in different foods. I've learnt to look at calories not just fat!!
- The value of protein.
- Learning to cook!
- I've got back into exercise after my accident.

Personally though, I've got a job I love, a partner I adore and I've stopped saying I'm going to do things....and actually doing them! I'm now a blood donor, I'm learning Italian AND I'm going to jump out of a plane before the end of the year??

Biggest thing though, I'm starting to learn how to look after ME!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby warriorcat » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:27 pm

What a marvellous, uplifting thread! :)

So far this year I have acheived a whole new perspective on my life. I have learnt to nourish my soul instead of destroying it. I have learnt to recognise that my body is not some hateful ugly fiend, but the vessel in which carries my soul and allows me to experience all the joy and magick of life.

I have lost 7.5kg since January. It doesn't sound like very much but i'm getting there slowly and i'd much rather be the size i am now than the size i was at the start of the year!

This year has been quite good so far as i have really mellowed out and don't stress out about things anymore.

The only thing i could ask for is to meet new people that have the same interests as me in life. But one step at a time! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wkR2Tlx/]
[/url]
warriorcat

Postby GumBoots » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:57 pm

This year has been a great year for me.
Firstly my weight loss so far is a great achievement of mine
also
I have been more social. More lunches with girlfriends and such.
My financial situation has improved greatly... Oh I could go on. Everything is great...
[/url]
GumBoots

Postby WaddleBottom » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:18 pm

warriorcat wrote:I have learnt to recognise that my body is not some hateful ugly fiend, but the vessel in which carries my soul and allows me to experience all the joy and magick of life.

That is one of the most beautiful things I've heard in some time :)

I'm sure with a spirit like that you'll attract wonderful new friends to your life in no time!
WaddleBottom

Postby Frangipani7 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:45 pm

So far this year I've realised that if people are able to love me, then I should be able to love myself.
I've met the man of my dreams and he adores me and I can't wait to call him my husband (6 months to go!!)
I've lost about 9kg's and I'm pretty proud of that! I've still got more to go but I'm more determined than ever and if I slip up, then I'll dust myself off and keep going.
I've realised that anything is possible, you just have to have the guts and determination to see it through.

Well done and good luck to everyone else :D
SW: 80.6kg
CW: 80.6kg
GW: 67kg's

Frangipani7

Return to Weight loss Talk