It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:22 am

Free Newsletter

Help pls, what is wrong with my diet/exercise regime???

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Help pls, what is wrong with my diet/exercise regime???

Postby MissMinx » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:46 am

Hi everyone, just thought this was a good time to write and get some much needed advice. To give you a bit of background, I am 31 yrs old, 69 kgs and 165cm tall (or short hehe). I am going overseas in EXATLY 3 months time and want to loose 9kgs beforehand so I think I have just enough time to do so. I have started my diet 4 weeks ago and weigh myself every Saturday night – I lost 2.2 kgs in the first couple of weeks and just last Saturday night I weighed myself and I’m back up to 69kgs….I’m very confused, worried that I wont reach my goal and need some advice.

This is my typical exercise regime every week – I work out 6 x a week, having Friday as my free day.

- Six mornings of every week, I would do a nice brisk ride (sometimes more intense) on my exercise bike for about 20-30mins.
- Three evenings of every week, I would walk fast/run for around 10kms on my treadmill at home.
- Three evenings of every week, I would do an indoor circuit training session in my home using hand weights and toning exercises for about 40mins and then following that do a 40mins cardio session on my treadmill.

So my exercise regime has kept me pretty busy lately…

As for my food intake, I’ve been eating pretty clean cut…maybe I’m not eating enough…I don’t know. This is my typical day during weekdays and whilst at work. I’ve hardly eaten any carbs at night time in the last 4 weeks.

Breakfast:
Oats with skim milk, touch of honey, sprinkle of flaked almonds
1 x coffee with skim milk

Snack:
Yoghurt (low fat, low GI)
6-7 raw almonds

Lunch:
Sandwich with 2 x dark rye bread, 5 slices of supreme chicken ham, low fat cheese, lettuce

Snack:
Small container of chick peas with a tablespoon of cottage cheese
OR
An Up&Go (203 cal)

Dinner:
Grilled fish or grilled chicken (200-250g) with 2 types of steamed veggies
Lemon Tea

Water intake is 2 litres+ per day. I do drink diet coke and other sugar free drinks sometimes.

Am I getting too ahead of myself, its only been 4 weeks since I’ve completely changed my lifestyle – I think I’m doing the best I can yet in the last 4 weeks I have actually gotten anywhere. Have I put on muscle and that’s why my weight went back up… I don’t know. I do see a different in my body it does look better but I still weigh the same.

Any advice would be really fantastic!! Thanks heaps.
Cheers from
MissMinx
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Re: Help pls, what is wrong with my diet/exercise regime???

Postby WaddleBottom » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:07 am

Hi MissMinx :) I'm by no means an expert but a few years ago I started a similar sort of healthy/steady weight loss plan. I started at 75kgs. The first few weeks I lost about 5kgs (I retain a lot of fluid, so I think most of this may have been fluid). For the first time in years I was doing exercise every day and feeling great, but from week 3 to week 7 I put 2kgs back on which didn't budge for a month!!!

I assumed this was probably due to suddenly doing regular exercise and perhaps starting to build muscle mass, and also hormones (which effect my weight a LOT).

Perhaps it's also partly to do with where you are in your "cycle" right now?

For what it's worth, despite getting very discouraged during that 4 week period where my weight had gone up and not moved... I stuck with it and after that 4 week period I started to lose weight consistently until I reached my goal (a few months later) of 58kgs... and by choosing to do it the healthy way (like you) it stayed off for years (even when habits became slightly less healthy :oops: ).
WaddleBottom

Postby Shalimar » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:11 am

Hi, I won't comment on your diet because mine is far from perfect, I truly believe what works for one wont work for another.
I will comment on your weighing in though :D .
You say you weigh in on a Saturday night, from my experience you will weigh more at night as you have eaten during the day. You would be better off weighing in in the morning when food had had some time to digest a bit.
The weight difference could be due to eating different things, 1 Saturday you may have eaten less or more than on the previous Saturday.
Make sure when weighing in you are either in the nude or at the very least wearing the same thing each time (I weigh in in my pjs :D ).

Good luck with your goals.

Sue.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Tarz » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:21 am

Hi, what your doing sounds like a good exercise and diet plan. All i can suggest is don't focus on the scales, focus on the tape measure. You have gone from fairly inactive to a very active daily plan which means you are going to build a lot of muscle as well as lose fat. Remember muscle weighs more then fat so the scales may stay the same or go up slightly but you will be losing cm. Take some measurements and monitor it that way.
Tarz

Postby MissMinx » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi there!!
Thank you for your reply. I think you're right, I may be getting too eager too soon!! Its only been 4 weeks and I still have 3 months to loose that remainder 8-9kgs so I think this is a good amount of time to do it in - im always worrying time is passing and not much is happening quick enough - i guess its normal to feel this way.

WaddleBottom wrote:Hi MissMinx :) I'm by no means an expert but a few years ago I started a similar sort of healthy/steady weight loss plan. I started at 75kgs. The first few weeks I lost about 5kgs (I retain a lot of fluid, so I think most of this may have been fluid). For the first time in years I was doing exercise every day and feeling great, but from week 3 to week 7 I put 2kgs back on which didn't budge for a month!!!

I assumed this was probably due to suddenly doing regular exercise and perhaps starting to build muscle mass, and also hormones (which effect my weight a LOT).

Perhaps it's also partly to do with where you are in your "cycle" right now?

For what it's worth, despite getting very discouraged during that 4 week period where my weight had gone up and not moved... I stuck with it and after that 4 week period I started to lose weight consistently until I reached my goal (a few months later) of 58kgs... and by choosing to do it the healthy way (like you) it stayed off for years (even when habits became slightly less healthy :oops: ).

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Postby MissMinx » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi Sue,
I've been told to weigh myself every few weeks and stop concentrating on the scales so much.. I'll take this into account aswell as weighing myself first thing in the morning...hopefully some weights starts to come off in the next coming weeks. I feel like im doing it right, eating throughout the day and exercising really well - it should work and hope it does.
Thank you.

[quote="Shalimar"]Hi, I won't comment on your diet because mine is far from perfect, I truly believe what works for one wont work for another.
I will comment on your weighing in though :D .
You say you weigh in on a Saturday night, from my experience you will weigh more at night as you have eaten during the day. You would be better off weighing in in the morning when food had had some time to digest a bit.
The weight difference could be due to eating different things, 1 Saturday you may have eaten less or more than on the previous Saturday.
Make sure when weighing in you are either in the nude or at the very least wearing the same thing each time (I weigh in in my pjs :D ).

MissMinx

Postby MissMinx » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:00 pm

You see, last year I got down to 60kgs which I was really happy about..BUT i didnt eat as well and as often and I did no weights so I built no muscle and concentrated on cardio... I didnt feel the best, I was hungry etc most of the time but I really pushed myself and lost it all.. This time around I want to do it the smart way and I can see such slower progress after week 4 compared to my regime last year... I guess I'm not use to doing it this way and not seeing the same results but I know in the long run Im doing it properly now.

For now I should be proud that my body has slighly changed and clothes and the tone of my body is starting to look better...well it should very much be on its way Im working hard enough heheheh!

Tarz wrote:Hi, what your doing sounds like a good exercise and diet plan. All i can suggest is don't focus on the scales, focus on the tape measure. You have gone from fairly inactive to a very active daily plan which means you are going to build a lot of muscle as well as lose fat. Remember muscle weighs more then fat so the scales may stay the same or go up slightly but you will be losing cm. Take some measurements and monitor it that way.

MissMinx

Postby growler » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi,
It sounds like both your exercise and diet are fine.
It may well be your focus that is out of kilter. As has been said by a few of the others,your focus needs to be on what is happening with your body shape and not on the scales.
I assume that like the rest of us you are really more interested in what you look like than what you way. Hopefull that perspective can help you to get the tape measure out and put the scales away.
The only other thing I noticed was that you had no listing of any alcohol. Sorry to be picky but this can make a huge difference and sometimes we forget to count this sort of thing. So I suggest just for a day or so if you keep a really good track of EVERYTHING you eat and drink, to make sure there are not some items that you are not counting.
One final point, it is somewhat of a normal convention to weigh in in the morning, and it does tend to give the best indication as your body has had a chance to get rid of any excesses you may have had the day before.
The problem with weighing in at night is you have less control over the influences of an extra glass of water prior o weighing in. If you do it in the morning, just after you go to the loo, this is about as consistant as you can get it.
Good luck and I am sure if you stick at your regime and use your tape measure you will notice the results.
Cheers
Steve
Remember persistence pays off, so get over it and get on with it!
http://mmolbiz.com/howtolooseweightfast/
growler

Postby MissMinx » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:22 pm

Hey Steve,
Thanks for your reply. I completely forgot to mention alcohol hehe! Basically I drink once a week, pretty much every Saturday night I like to have something. For example my partner and I may share a bottle of white wine and then we start on the vodka with sugar free mixers. On other Saturdays we may not have any wine at all and just stick to the vodka and sugar free mixers.

This Saturday morning I may do a weigh in and see how I go...I havent weighed myself for two weeks and I'm glad I havent bec Im starting to feel better about it. I'm noticing slight changes in the past 2 weeks again, my legs and arms especially are starting to shape, my bone structure at the front of my shoulders are really starting to pop out ! I have 12 weeks until my trip and this is crunch time for me!!

Tomorrow my Lite N Easy dinners arrive..im giving them a go. Basically I picked meals that were anywhere between 440g to 500g and all ranged between 350 - 390 calories. This will be interesting in the weeks ahead how much weight i loose and it will allow me to concentrate on my exercise and not have to rush it at night time after work bec I had to prepare dinner!

Why is it oh so hard hehe.

MissMinx

Postby Shalimar » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:29 pm

You've got me looking forward to your weigh in MissMinx, I always seem to get excited by others progress. Good luck :D .

Shalimar

Postby MissMinx » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:22 am

Hey Shalimar and everyone else!
I just weighed myself this morning and lost 0.5kgs last week so I'm now sitting at 68kgs on the dot which is ok for me.

This week is going to be yet again another tough week of exercising! I'm on the lite n easy dinners now and its amazing the portions are really good and so tasty. I'm hoping next Monday mornings weigh in, 1kg drops off Id be really happy with that.

Hope you're all well!!
Cheers from
MissMinx

MissMinx

Postby Shalimar » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:23 pm

Well done MissMinx, it's a great feeling to see the scales move in the right direction :D .

Shalimar

Postby MissMinx » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Thanks heaps! How is your regime going? Its so tough and I find the toughest around 'that' time of the month! i crave and feel like eating cereals when I get home after work LOLL!!! :oops:

Shalimar wrote:Well done MissMinx, it's a great feeling to see the scales move in the right direction :D .

MissMinx

Postby Shalimar » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi MissMinx, my plan is going well although there have been a day or two of late that I have had a hankering for something but I just go to my pocket calorie counter and find a lower calorie/fat substitute :lol: .

Shalimar

Return to Weight loss Talk