It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:55 pm

Free Newsletter

Where to Start? And how to stick to it..

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Where to Start? And how to stick to it..

Postby chocoholic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:34 am

Hello all =]
I need to start a weight loss plan, and stick to it.
I usually get motivated and eat healthy/exercise, but it might last a few days at that.
I feel like I just can't be bothered and I don't have time to do it.
Any suggestions?
=]
SW: 91 kg
CW: 94.7 kg
GW: 70 kg

Goals:
1. 91kg (my original SW)
2. 85.5kg (BMI in 'overweight' category)
3. 80kg
4. 75kg
5. 70kg (BMI in 'Normal' weight range)

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSKqVQ/
chocoholic

Re: Where to Start? And how to stick to it..

Postby holly80 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:20 pm

Maybe make some little goals for yourself, like eat fruit everyday and go for a few walks...

this is what I have started to do... I seem to have a phobia of the work diet i think, so i have worked around that and am thinking now it is a new lifestyle change... well thats what I am telling myself..

Its ok if we slip up, you just got to not do it to often...

sorry i wasnt much help

Holly

Every 5 kilos off= Pandora Charm

SW: 86kg 31/8/06
CW:
WL:
GW: 75kg

Rule your mind or it will rule you.You may delay, but time will not !!!
holly80

Postby chocoholic » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:35 pm

Thanks for your advice :D
I'm trying to drink more water, except it makes me need to go to the toilet every half hour, lol.

Goals:
1. 91kg (my original SW)
3. 80kg
4. 75kg

chocoholic

Postby Strawberry » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:38 pm

you eventually get used to it & toilet visits become less frequent.
Strawberry

Postby Athena » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:58 pm

Try to develope a mantra that you can go through whenever you can't be bothered. It sometimes works
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby Mandie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:44 pm

The best thing is to sit down and work out why you want to lose weight. Write a list of the reasons why you don't like the weight you are now, and the benefits of being smaller - and what you want to do at that weight that you feel you can't do now.

Then think of all the ways that will help you achieve that - break it down into diet, exercise, and psychological stuff.

With diet, you need to find your own way - whether it's going on a shake diet, following weight watchers or a similar program, following a diet book, or just trying to eat healthy and count calories - but set goals and try to stick with them. It's often easier to bring in changes slowly - so say, start eating 2 pieces of fruit a day this week, next week make sure you have 5 veg, and so on. Remember, the important thing is bringing in the changes - it doesn't have to all happen overnight, and if you flood your brain with too many new things it will rebel and not do any!

With exercise, figure out what you enjoy doing - if you look forward to it, you're more likely to do it! Try to recruit a friend or partner - this greatly increases motivation and your chances of sticking to it! Figure out if you like gym work - join a gym. If you prefer running, find an online running program with goals you can follow. You could join a pool for swimming, take up yoga, walk the dog more often, cycle to work - anything you like! Team fitness is good too - try a bootcamp or similar group fitness program, or a sport like boxing, netball, football etc. Personal trainers can be very helpful as well when you are just starting off.

The psychological stuff is the toughest part really - your head is the biggest cause of your current overweight condition, and the biggest barrier to losing weight. You need to sit down and figure out WHY you overeat/don't exercise. Do you binge eat when you are happy/sad? Do you eat when you are bored? Do you demonise food? Some people like to visit a counsellor or psychologist or GP to work these things out, or you can do it at home - there are lots of websites that can help you with "emotional eating" and various other issues.

Hope that's a decent guide of where to start!

Finally - this is all up to you. Others can motivate and help, but ultimately you are in control of your own destiny - whether you lose weight, whether you keep it off, whether you quit tomorrow - it's all you. You need a good driving force (that's why I said at the start - work out WHY you are doing this) to keep you going.

And remember, if you fall off the wagon, just jump right back on! Up and downs are what make us human, it's life - no-one does this without a few hiccups along the way! If you never quit, you can't lose.
Mandie

Postby chocoholic » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:13 pm

Thanks so much for all the info :D
I already eat 2 fruits and 5 veg a day, its just the fact I binge eat.
There is more to the story (long history of depression/panic disorder/social phobia, plus iron deficiency and pernicious anaemia, not to mention various medications) which caused me to find comfort in food to an uncontrollable level, but after doing this for over a year I can see that I am not healthy and not living a full life, I don't want to put myself at risk of heart disease, stroke, etc and having fat around my organs.
I'm sick of looking in the mirror or at photos and seeing what I look like currently, then back at photos from this time 2 years ago seeing a happy, healthy me. And it makes me mad that I've just let myself go and gained so much weight (about 20kg).
So yes, that's my little rant of frustration =P.
I have the willpower and this time I am going to stick with it and wear clothes without feeling like a beached whale.

Goals:
1. 91kg (my original SW)
3. 80kg
4. 75kg

chocoholic

Postby surfchick33 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:27 am

Yes, I agree binge eating is a hard one - we all do it from time to time but it can demolish aevery bit of hard work you do in a few small bites!

Have you spoken to your Dr about it? I took chromium to help with my cravings and it helped alot.

Good luck, you can do it. :D
surfchick33

Postby brendong » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:40 pm

I totally agree thats its a mental game.

I think:

1. Make the decision
2. Get the right advice
3. Take it slowly.. You didn't put it on over night so its not going to come off overnight.
4. ignore anything or anyone that says you can do other wise.

Above all Have fun with it,

Brendon
PS. I've been using life advantage myself
brendong

Return to Weight loss Talk