It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:18 am

Free Newsletter

How do/did you determine your goal weight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How do/did you determine your goal weight?

Postby shark » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:33 pm

What the title says!

I'm interested to know how you decided on a goal weight. Was it based on BMI or one of the "ideal" weight for height charts? If so, did you adjust it to take into account your frame (ie if you are "big boned" or not), your genetics (eg everyone in your family is curvy), your age (women naturally tend to gain padding with age, while men tend to get scrawnier, except for the beer gut!!) and so on?
Or did you pick a weight that you used to be, such as when you last felt healthy / happy with your figure, or maybe the lowest weight you've ever been as an adult?
Or some other way?

I've got no idea what my weight "should" officially be, but I'm trying to get back to what I was the last time I was fit and felt really healthy - that was before having kids, so don't know whether it's going to happen, but it can't hurt to try improving my diet and exercise can it ;)
shark

Re: How do/did you determine your goal weight?

Postby Zoe2312 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:22 pm

well i chose my goal weight on a bit of a combination of the things you mentioned, my healthy weight range is supposed to be 58-65kg (i'm 165cm tall). I used to be a rower at school, and very fit and healthy but i still weighed more than I looked like i did, i hardly had an ounce of fat on me, and I weighed 65kg then! so i'm aiming for 70-75 kilos, because I am reasonable big boned (i think!!) and i have a naturally curvy figure (big boobs, wide-ish hips). so we'll see how i go!
my mother has a completely different figure from me, as does everyone else in her family, they are all REALLY tall, and thin - very straight up and down. i guess i must get it from my dad's family! :D :D
Zoe2312

Postby Sussy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:12 pm

I decided because i've been this weight before. I've been more (am more..hehe) and i've been less but this is a weight i'm happy with. Also having seen photos at this weight and i like them, and a mainatenance issue, of not being unrealistic and struggling to maintain my weight. This is achievable for me...hopefully.
Sussy

Postby Shalimar » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:13 pm

I just based mine on my sisters weight and what she looks like. I think, technically, that my chosen weight is still considered overweight for my height but I will worry about that when I get there. I do want some curves left though :D .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Zoe2312 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:44 am

it's one of those things, isn't it, it's hard to kow what you'll look like and how you will feel at the goal weight! You might find you hit a weight higher than your goal and are perfectly happy with that, you never know! or you may hit your goal and decide you want to go a little further.. i'm going to do what you're doing Shalimar, and re-assess when i'm there :D
Zoe2312

Postby Shalimar » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:12 pm

That's the best way I think Zoe, for me anyway :D .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby matchbox » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:44 pm

i just took a random stab at a number :lol: to lose 30kg, but i've chnaged it to lose 25-27 instead (don't think i'd be able to maintain 55kg)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby shark » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:32 pm

You all sound very sensible about it!

I remember when I was a teenager I used to make the most ridiculous goals, like I decided I "should" be around 60kg because that was "normal" and completely failed to take into account the fact that I'm extremely tall and couldn't possibly be healthy at less than 70kg. Then I thought it would be nicer to be under 60, as 59 would look so much better with that 5 in front of it. Next thing I thought was, well 59 is dangerously close to 60, so I'd better go for 58kg just to be safe. Hmmm, obsessive body image and control issues anyone :lol
shark

Postby Zoe2312 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:44 pm

:lol: we all do/think silly things when we're teenagers don't we! when I was 15 i decided I needed to lose weight (I didn't need to). so i went on a self imposed fruit box diet. all i had was fruit boxes. and at a rowing regatta, I passed out after a race. gee, i wonder why! :lol:
Zoe2312

Postby Strawberry » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:58 pm

i've been 60kgs in my adult years so i know what i look like & is achievable 4 me.
i'm 167cm tall so falls within a healthy BMI range 4 me.
i also have a small frame - determined by size of your wrist (thanks WW, i learn that while doing WW lol)
Strawberry

Postby Zoe2312 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:47 pm

oooh Strawberry - what's the go with the wrist thing? how do you work it out? :D
Zoe2312

Postby MissMinx » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:23 pm

Like others, Ive been 60kgs last year (Jan to May). I know what I looked like and felt like and going shopping for clothes was a breeze, so thats why I'm aiming for that weight again.
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Postby Cac33 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:27 pm

Zoe2312 wrote:oooh Strawberry - what's the go with the wrist thing? how do you work it out? :D

Yeah what's that all about strawbs??
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby surfchick33 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:23 am

I looked back at old photo's of myself & decided on a goal weight that I had been happy with in the past. I had a lot of weight to lose, so I started with the good old round figure of 30kg & narrowed it down to the last few kg when I got close.

I'm not sure that getting too mathematical about it helps in working out what you "should" be - to me it was more important to be heading in the right direction!

Good luck
surfchick33

Postby Strawberry » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:36 am

Cac33 wrote:
Zoe2312 wrote:oooh Strawberry - what's the go with the wrist thing? how do you work it out? :D

Yeah what's that all about strawbs??

you measure your wrist to determine your body frame. i can't remember the exact measurements i'll have to dig up - that's if i still have it. i think they have it in the back pages of WW mags. Lets you know if you have a small, medium, large frame.
Strawberry

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk