It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:44 pm

Free Newsletter

Weird Results

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weird Results

Postby G-Man » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but would appreciate some feedback on my recent weight loss results.

I started going to the gym about 4 months ago with the help of a personal trainer and between April and June I lost 10kg's due to exercising regularly. Anyway, yesterday I weighed myself on two separate scales and both results showed a gain of 5kg's and a gain of 15% body fat. How is that possible? I haven't changed my eating habits at all since I started at the gym and I also continue to do regular exercise at the gym. Plus the percentage of body fat on the scale shows more now than it did when I started at the gym.

Is it possible that the extra weight gain is muscle? But then if it is because of the muscle, why do the scales show a gain of 15% extra body fat compared to my June weigh in? My clothes are literally still falling off me and I feel like I have lost weight, not put it back on.

Any explanations on the above would be great.

G-Man

Re: Weird Results

Postby Strawberry » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:03 pm

all i can think of is what time of day did u weigh yourself? had u eaten before hand? did u weigh in on a different set of scales? if ur clothes are falling off you take measurements instead of going by the scales. with my digital scales it says to weigh in at night if u want an accurate body fat % reasoning so if u did it during the day it could read out an inaccurate reading.
Strawberry

Postby Mandie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:18 pm

Body fat percentages are often inaccurate - the best time to weigh is at the end of the day actually...

If your clothes are falling off you and you feel healthier - you're doing the right things. The scales will catch up eventually! It's tough to ignore them, but you have to - look in the mirror and SEE the changes - trust that more than some silly number!
Mandie

Postby surfchick33 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:17 am

I agree - go by your measurements, technology can get it wrong. If your clothes are looser, than your losing weight!
surfchick33

Postby G-Man » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:19 am

Cool. Thanks everyone. I thought the scales were wrong but wanted other opinions.

Best of luck with everyone's weight loss.

G-Man

Postby Strawberry » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:38 am

another thing - are your scales accurate in good working order?
Strawberry

Postby SarahC » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:43 am

Yeah sometimes they can go a bit haywire, particularly if they're low on batteries. Also if it's not a digital one (you know, one with the needle that goes round and round :oops: ) make sure that the needle is on zero before you step on - someone may have knocked it.... :?
SarahC

Postby G-Man » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:07 pm

I've used the scales at the gym (digital ones that calculate body fat % and all that stuff) plus I've used ones at home that is also digital. Both scales have just had their batteries replaced and I'm assuming the ones at the gym would need to be in good working condition. Besides, the ones at the gym and the ones at home both displayed the same results.

G-Man

Postby curvygirl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:24 pm

Muscle does weigh heavier than fat so I would say its just an increase in muscle. If you have been drinking lots of water lately that may be the culprit for the higher fat percentage. I wouldnt stress about it if you havent changed size. You would know if you had put on 5 kilos. Good luck with your journey.
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby teddybear17 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:37 pm

I don't know, but if you see the BMI of even the healthiest football players, it shows a lot of them are obese, and that is definetly not the case.

This is my first major goal.
Next one is to get under 80kgs.
Finally, somewhere around 60kgs.
teddybear17

Return to Weight loss Talk