It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Free Newsletter

Coffee/tea intake - is it a no no when dieting?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Coffee/tea intake - is it a no no when dieting?

Postby MissMinx » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi all,
Just a quick one, I usually have 2 coffees a day and about 3 white teas a day - all with skim milk - is this not such a good idea when trying to lose weight?

I'm drinking 1.5 litres of water per day on top, plus 3 green teas.
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Re: Coffee/tea intake - is it a no no when dieting?

Postby loveat116 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:08 pm

Are you using instant coffee or coffee's that are made with ALL milk?

Coffee's with skim milk are around 400kj for a regular, so they do add up during the day. That is without adding sugar.

A tsp Nescafe blend 43 and a dash of milk will only set you back around 100kj so maybe you could swap them for instant?

A good tip with tea is reducing the amount of milk you have each time, until you get to black tea.

Remember, it is total calories at the end of the day, so if you can fit them in go for it!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby MissMinx » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi there,
Yes its mainly instant but occasionally I go out to buy one.

I think overall I may be over consuming with the caffeine dont you think in general? white tea has caffeine in it too.

loveat116 wrote:Are you using instant coffee or coffee's that are made with ALL milk?

Coffee's with skim milk are around 400kj for a regular, so they do add up during the day. That is without adding sugar.

A tsp Nescafe blend 43 and a dash of milk will only set you back around 100kj so maybe you could swap them for instant?

A good tip with tea is reducing the amount of milk you have each time, until you get to black tea.

Remember, it is total calories at the end of the day, so if you can fit them in go for it!

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Postby Mandie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:09 pm

I think you are overdoing the caffeine a bit - it probably won't affect you too much in terms of weight loss (aside from the extra calories) but excessive caffeine can lead to heart palpitations, headaches, dehydration, etc. It's best to limit to two cups of caffeine-related beverages per day - so cut out the tea or maybe have one tea and one coffee? and otherwise you could switch to decaf, or just drink some water, hot milk or something similar.
Mandie

Postby SarahC » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:46 pm

This is an oldie from a while back. Hopefully it's useful :D
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2141

I'm the same, need to cut back... badly! I generally have at least 3 or 4 coffees (two big teaspoons each), plus another 2 or three cups of tea. It's bad. Blame it on bad sleep, too much excercise and working in an office :oops:
SarahC

Postby surfchick33 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:14 am

Coffee ... cant live with it, can't live without it! I love my coffee & used to drink 3 cups a day. Once I gave it up though my weight came off easier. :lol:
surfchick33

Postby MissMinx » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:33 am

I know what you all mean..

I find it helps me fill up a bit and is a different taste to plain old water!! I will try the decaf range, I think that will be the best option because I like to drink hot drinks throughout the day...especially at work too in an office just like you Sarah.

Thanks for your replys :)

MissMinx

Return to Weight loss Talk