It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:27 am

Free Newsletter

Am I burning lots of calories if I............

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Am I burning lots of calories if I............

Postby MissMinx » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:11 pm

.....clean the house for 2 hours straight ???

for example, on Friday I cleaned my house all by myself and it took me 2 hours exactly..usually 1 hour with my bf's help but this time I did it on my own and I was pretty nackered! Fridays is usually my day off from exercise but I still end up cleaning the house for an hour or two every time every week - am I burning a few good calories? I end up in sweat 9/10 times.

:)
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Re: Am I burning lots of calories if I............

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:15 pm

you would be, but I don't know how many. I'm sure there'd be calorie estimators out there that would know...
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby MissMinx » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm guessing house cleaning would burn some even though its very low impact movements, its still continuous and a good amount of time. Thanks :)

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:you would be, but I don't know how many. I'm sure there'd be calorie estimators out there that would know...

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Postby danni_bella » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:53 pm

Of course you're burning calories hun, I included my 5 minute vacuum as part of my exercise routine yesterday :P

I thought it would've been a bit too much if I included shopping in there tho, lol.
danni_bella

Postby lollilova » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:43 pm

Good on you for applying yourself for a whole 2 hours to cleaning!!! :shock:

There was an article in a magazine a few years back on how many calories you burn off with different jobs, like vacuuming, doing the bathrooms etc. Shouldn't be too hard to google. :D
Bianca x

lollilova

Postby ali76 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:46 pm

Check it on Calorie King!!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby MissMinx » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:46 pm

ok shall do!

ali76 wrote:Check it on Calorie King!!

MissMinx

Postby Strawberry » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:28 pm

personally i wouldn't count cleaning as part of exercise - it's something you have to do. Yes it's incidental exercise, are you going to rely on cleaning 2 keep the weight off?
Strawberry

Postby Strawberry » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:30 pm

Strawberry wrote:personally i wouldn't count cleaning as part of exercise - it's something you have to do. Yes it's incidental exercise, are you going to rely on cleaning 2 keep the weight off?

oops.....yes it does burn calories, any body movement burns calories just wouldn't be many.
Strawberry

Postby MissMinx » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:26 pm

hehe but strawberry you havent seen how I clean my house...im a cleanaholic! heheh nah i aint relying on cleaning the house to keep weight off hehe I just wanted to know cause a 2 hour cleaning job should shift a few calories on my day off from exercise.

Strawberry wrote:
Strawberry wrote:personally i wouldn't count cleaning as part of exercise - it's something you have to do. Yes it's incidental exercise, are you going to rely on cleaning 2 keep the weight off?

oops.....yes it does burn calories, any body movement burns calories just wouldn't be many.

MissMinx

Return to Weight loss Talk