It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:38 am

Free Newsletter

Afraid of turning out like my mum!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Afraid of turning out like my mum!

Postby danni_bella » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:32 pm

I know this sounds mean, as my mother is a great asset to society - being a triple certified registered nurse in intensive care.

However she is soo fat now! And she can't see it, and it makes me sad because she doesn't want to do anything about it :(

Ok, I'm exaggerating. She's not obsese (well she can't be anyway, as her job is too damanding), which is good. However she IS overweight, and looks bad.

She divorced from my dad like 10 years ago and she still hasn't found anyone, it's like she could but she can't be bothered to move her ass, and diet.

Also - more importantly (haha) 8) I don't ever wanna become overweight like her, is this a cruel and shallow way to think? I'm currently in the healthy weight range, but I feel scared that one day I might turn out like her :shock:

I am, however, comforted by the fact that although female, I take after my dad in terms of looks and he is still THIN!!! :mrgreen: Yay. Maybe I might become half-fat, hahaha :lol:

Re: Afraid of turning out like my mum!

Postby MissMinx » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:51 pm

Hey danni_bella,

Everyone is in charge of their own lives... my mum who passed away 6 yrs ago, she also was overweight for a very long time and I know that I could potentially be overweight in my later years too but all we can do is try our best not to go overboard with indulging MOST of the time.

I think we need to look forward to treats every now and then and they will be so much more enjoyed that way instead of having them all the time - the benefits will show too.

Hopefully your mum starts to substitute some bad foods with good foods with a bit of encouragement from her daughter ;)

Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)

Postby danni_bella » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Thanks babe.

Oops, went a bit too far there in my first - I guess I'm just scared for her health tbh.

Well I'm seeing her tonight, so might try to subtly bring this up. Not sure how though!!!

Postby lollilova » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:39 pm

I know what you mean... although my mum is the opposit and too skinny!

She has always been obsessed with her weight, and everytime I see her (she lives interstate) she ALWAYS tells me 'oh I look awful at the moment, I have just put on weight' blah blah blah...

I think thats the reason why I think I can eat what I want, when I want because I don't want to be like her! Although that has backfired, as I want to shift some of the weight now. Catch 22! :lol:
Bianca x

Postby Strawberry » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:35 pm

genetics play a small part, u control what goes in & how u look after yourself.
u can talk 2 ur mum, tell her ur concerns but she won't change unless she wants 2 change.

Postby Rosie Peters » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:33 pm

I agree with Strawberry. My mum was huge, as was her mum and her grandma, so you could say it's genetics - a bit - but in our family it was the passing down of bad eating habits over the generations. My family on both sides started out labour intensive farmer types and once they got older and the hard physical work stopped, the food intake was not decreased or changed for the better, resulting in a family of fatties.

You could suggest to your mum that you spend some quality walking time together maybe once a week and she might catch the habit on the days you are not with her, but as the others have said, your mum has to want to change for herself. You can only look after yourself. :)
Rosie Peters

Postby hippy_shake » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:48 pm

My advice would be to help her out in that area if at all possible (like going for walks etc), and tell her you are concerned about her. Being a nurse I'm sure she will understand from a medical point of view the damage she is doing to her body. But most of all if you can encourage and support her it will make a great difference :)
Jane :)

SW:80- 21/05/08

Return to Weight loss Talk