It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:00 pm

Free Newsletter

better way to lose fat, help pls

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

better way to lose fat, help pls

Postby sunshine » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:46 pm

Could I just grab some advice please. I have been doing gym 3 times a week, usually a weights programme followed by 1/2 hr on the treadmill, doing a fat burning level. I have also started doing a spin class (wow that was amazingly sweaty), but wanted to know if I want to drop fat faster, should I concentrate more on cardio, like a good spin class, hill climbs on the treadmill etc and only do my weights once a week??

I have completely cut out alcohol, haven't had any wine for 2 weeks, and am trying to eat healthily but still am sneaking in a little chocolate most days. Would just this little treat a day, make a lot of difference in losing noticeable weight? I am just not seeing a big noticeable difference in the mirror, like I did a couple of months ago, when I first started. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
sunshine

Re: better way to lose fat, help pls

Postby Tarz » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:05 pm

If you have been doing the same thing for a while it could be that your body has gotten use to it, mix it up, increase your cardio, step up the intensity, shock your body into losing again. DOing the spin class does apparently burn alot of calories so doing that could make a big difference.
Tarz

Postby Karnak » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:24 pm

My two cents worth :

Take some measurements if you haven't already, that way you know for sure the changes that are taking place.
Muscle helps with Metabolism so perhaps still include one or two toning sessions
I agree with Tarz - shake things up a bit. Perhaps the ecliptical machine at the gym alternating with the tready.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the interval function on the treadmill has helped me a lot, and I've read articles that support that too.
Hills, Hills, Hills - increase the intensitiy on the treadmill, is the 1/2 hour on the treadmill still an effort for you ?. if not then make it one.

Do the makeup test - if its still intact at the end of a workout you didn't workout.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby sunshine » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks guys, excellent replies. Yes I agree with you both, I need to get things moving again. Just got back from the gym, did one round of my weights then 40 mins on the treadmill, at interval, so the tready was going up and down constantly. Started the speed at 5.5 and worked up to 6 which is fast walking on this one. Got up a sweat and felt it at the end. But it still seemed too easy. I may have to do some jogging which I hate and am hopeless at.

Doing a spin class in the morning, that is amazing. Good workout. Thanks again.
sunshine

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:46 pm

I agree with the above. If you've been doing it a while, your body may have adjusted so you need to either up the intensity or frequency or change entirely the things you are doing.
As for cardio v weights, both have their place. Cardio is more energy intensive (which is why you puff and sweat more doing it in general) so it will burn more while you are doing it. Weights is about building muscle tone which increases your basal metabolic rate (i.e. so you burn more calories sitting around). It also tones you so you've got a bit of firmness under there to reduce the jiggle :wink:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Karnak » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:35 am

You don't have to jog - but it'll burn more calories if you do :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby MissMinx » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Tarz is always on the ball! Definitely need to step it up a notch all the time.

Tarz wrote:If you have been doing the same thing for a while it could be that your body has gotten use to it, mix it up, increase your cardio, step up the intensity, shock your body into losing again. DOing the spin class does apparently burn alot of calories so doing that could make a big difference.
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Return to Weight loss Talk