It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:37 am

Free Newsletter

I'm 21 and a fatty.. Need help please

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm 21 and a fatty.. Need help please

Postby mattcooper » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:36 pm

Hey everyone
My names matt and im 21. Im fat.... I'm 178cm tall and weight about 97kg......

I need help.. whats good technquies can I use to lose weight.

The past week I have been doing a jog around the block that takes about 15-20 mins to do.. Is this plus an effective diet going to work?

What tips should I use?

Im thinking about starting to take those shakes??

Thanks in advance

From a guy crying out for help
Matt
mattcooper

Re: I'm 21 and a fatty.. Need help please

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi Matt,
Welcome! Good on you for getting out and doing something! It's a great way to begin. Try not to go out too hard too soon - you don't want to do yourself an injury or put yourself off. You want to do this for the long haul.

So some tips. Exercise and diet control. Eat healthy and sensibly and up your activity levels essentially. The shakes diets may be a good aide, but remember that unless you want to go back to where you started from, you are going to have to change your eating and activity patterns for the long term.

Make small easily achievable goals so you can track your progress. Food and exercise diary's are very very helpful too.

This forum is full of wonderful supportive, inspiring people and I hope we can help you get to your goals!
cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby mattcooper » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:20 pm

thankyou
mattcooper

Postby Shalimar » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:58 pm

Hello, welcome and good luck. It sounds like you are off to a great start :D .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby yoyogirl88 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:27 pm

Welcome hun,

Good luck and good on you for the jogging- that will definately help.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Rosie Peters » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:04 pm

Protein shakes are a handy meal substitute or a boost for sustaining good health and energy levels.

But I think leave the shakes till you get your diet a bit under control. It will take a few weeks to get into a routine of preparing good food (the night before) and eating it instead of stuff that keeps you overweight.

I can't believe you can just get up and jog. Really well done :D , but as Butterfly Dawn says, go easy on yourself - don't burn out.

Some things you could consider

Decide on your goal weight. It depends a bit on whether you're fine, medium or big boned (check out your wrist size - for a man, the medium boned
physique is around 17.8cm or 7inches at the wrist.) Your goal weight depending on whether you are fine,medium or big boned is somewhere between 63-79kg at your height.

How long do you plan to take to get to goal? Aim to lose about 1/2 kg a week, though you'll lose around 2kg in the first week (water weight). Slow and steady progress keeps the weight off.

Give yourself some benchmarks to aim for as short and medium term goals to reach and celebrate.

Keep an accurate daily food and exercise journal as Butterfly Dawn also suggests - yes it's a bit of work, but it keeps you honest and alert. The calorie king has good (and cheap) ones. He's an aussie from Perth, just google him.
Rosie Peters

Postby Freddy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:08 pm

Besides that, when you stop using shakes your metabolism will change again to accommodate the regular food you eat again, bringing you back to the original problem.
Freddy

Postby ansonteo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:49 pm

Hi Matt

If you can cut down your daily calorie intake by 500kcal a day, you will lose about 0.5kg a week. Not fantastic but it is a start.

Jogging is a form of moderate exercise, which burns about 33% fats and 67% carbohydrates. Your appetite will actually increase immediately after the exercise.

Avoid vigorous exercise like high impact sports (basketball, high impact aerobics, running, etc) as you will burn only 100% carbohydrates and 0% fat. In fact your appetite will decrease immediately after the exercise but increases over the next 3-5 days.

Instead focus on light activity workouts like walking (at least 30-60 min), grocery shopping, walking up stairs, doing household chores, babysitting, etc. This type of activity will burn 100% fat.
ansonteo

Postby Tarz » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi Matt, Theres some great advice here already for you, here's my 2 cents worth:

First of all keep track of what you normally eat over say 3 days. Have a good look at it and see what sort of habits you have and what foods can be switched with lower fat, lower sugar foods. If your drinking a can of coke a day, switch it to coke zero etc
A big difference can be made by just changing your diet. A guy in my office has gone on a health kick and just by cutting out the hot chips at lunch, the choccy bar in the arvo and switching his pepsi to pepsi max he has lost 6kg already.

There is no need to start on shakes. Try it the proper way first otherwise when you get there and go back to a normal diet you'll put the weight back on again. You can just lose weight without changing your habits.

Next you want to look at exercise. Running is great and if your doing it around where you live its even better then on a treadmill. Is there a sport you like to play? touch, soccer ets maybe its time to join a team sport again. Try an go for a run in the morning and arvo and eventually youu will want to start doing some sort of strength training. Muscle burns calories.

Most importantly, don't go in too hard too soon, as the others have already said, it will burn you out.

Start a thread on here with your goals and write your progress. If you keep one people can then comment on ways you could improve etc.

Good luck and i hope to hear how your doing.

Tara
Tarz

Postby Jisgone » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:19 pm

everyone has given some great advice :) i think the most important thing is doing something that is sustainable for you
if you cant spend 2 hours a day excercising dont try and make it something you will do..if you cant do it youll feel like youve failed
calorieking is a great resource to teach yourself better eating habits..you learn about portion control and what foods are really best avoided because the calories just arent worth it
and always remember, slow and steady is the best way :)
Jisgone

Postby PenM » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:52 pm

mattcooper wrote:Hey everyone
My names matt and im 21. Im fat.... I'm 178cm tall and weight about 97kg......

I need help.. whats good technquies can I use to lose weight.

The past week I have been doing a jog around the block that takes about 15-20 mins to do.. Is this plus an effective diet going to work?

What tips should I use?

Im thinking about starting to take those shakes??

Thanks in advance

From a guy crying out for help
Matt

Hi, yes, a jog is effective. After the first month doing it, try run for 15-20 mins. Then later you can try go to gym and ask for more advices from your gym buddies.
Last edited by Butterfly_Dawn on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed
PenM

Postby Simo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Hey Matt,

On the 4th of September 08 (about 3 weeks ago) I weighed 97.2kg which is around the same as you said you are and I am also very close to your height at 177cm. In about 3 weeks I have lost 5.5kg (still steadily dropping too :P ) and I feel great so far, it hasn't even been that hard. Clothes are fitting me perfectly that haven't fit in years.

Here's how I did it:

Tip 1: I drank water and nothing else
Tip 2: 3 decent sized healthy meals a day and a couple of snacks in between such as a carrot or piece of fruit
Tip 3: Daily exercise, I have to admit I haven't really done much exercise but still managed to lose 5.5kg, I usually do 15 minutes of walking or jumping on trampoline a day and weight training twice a week, more is always good
Tip 4: If I need to fry something I use spray extra virgin olive oil
Tip 5: I do my exercise right before lunch that way my body has used most of the energy from brekky and I'll be burning straight from the fat stores when I exercise
Tip 6: Drink 1 or 2 glasses of water in the morning to rehydrate your body from the night
Tip 7: I didn't eat anything past 9pm you want your body to recover during a nights sleep, not process food
Tip 8: Weigh yourself in mornings only after going to the toilet (if you need to go) and before eating/drinking that way you get the most accurate weight in compared to after a big meal

Drinks lots of water whenever you want, no limits

Typical Breakfast for me:

2 Weetbix in fat free soymilk
or
Fruit Salad (watermelon,rock melon, apple etc

Lunch:
2 Tuna (in springwater) salad sandwiches (tomato, lettuce and cucumber) which tastes tops
or
Salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber etc)
or
Fruit Salad
or
4 eggs scrambled on 2 pieces of toast no butter

Dinner:
Heinz spaghetti or baked beans on 2 slices of toast with no butter on toast
or
Marinated Roast chicken, potatoes in their jackets and fresh boiled and steamed veggies
or
Chicken Stirfry
or
Homemade fried rice

(of course don't limit yourself to those particular foods, their just some examples of what I've been eating, eat what you want as long as it's healthy 8) )

As for snacks I don't really eat them much since I fill myself up from the meals and don't really feel that hungry til the next meal but if you do get hungry help your self to a piece of fruit or carrot etc and after you've had it you will feel much better.

I hope this in some way has helped, it's up to you if you wish to use some of the advice but all I can say is that's what I've done, its been easy and fast and worked wonders.
If you want to talk more don't hesitate to ask and I'll pm you my email

Daniel

177cm Male - 19 years old
----------------
04/09/08 - 97.2kg
11/09/08 - 94.5kg
18/09/08 - 93.3kg
24/09/08 - 91.7kg
04/04/09 - 83.5kg

GW - 80kg
Simo

Postby syc » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi:
According to the table of ideal weight for a specific height, the ideal weight for your height is about 70-75 kg. In order to lose weight, the total amount of calories taking in in one day has to be less than the total amount of calories the body requires in one day, so the body will break down the fat tissues to provide enough calories for the insufficient amount from taking in.

According to the average for male, the amount of calories that a male requires per kg per day, is about 35 calories for light worker, 40 for medium worker, and 45 for heavy worker. So for example if you are a medium worker, then the amount of calories your body requires per day is 40 x 97 = 3880 calories. Therefore in order to lose weight, the total amount of calories you take in in one day has to be less than 3880 calories.

I am wondering if you are serious about losing weight, and if yes about how much weight do you want to lose? If you are interested in some information about effective diet for weight loss or some health related articles, then please contact me and I will help you.
syc

Postby Johnny_walts » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:35 pm

For lose the weight fast,safe and easy you have to go on a simple way.Like
1.Take light food.
2.Take nutritional food.
3.Do exercises for weight loss.
4.Avoid fast food.
5.Avoid junk food.
6.Avoid Non.veg.
7.Take fruits & vegetables.

Hope this will help you.