It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:17 pm

Free Newsletter

Any advice?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Any advice?

Postby misskarissa » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I was just browsing the net and found this forum- What a great idea!

I was reading some of your posts and thought you all sounded like you knew what you were talking about so I thought I'd ask for some advice! :P

I really need to change my eating habits- as I've just given up smoking and am putting on weight. :o
I've re-joined the gym, but would like some advice as to what diet's have worked for you? And what you've used as motivation to stick to it?

Thank you for taking the time out to read this and look forward to your replies! :)

Karissa xxx
misskarissa

Re: Any advice?

Postby dimples » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi Karissa,
I am new to the forum also and noticed noone has replied to you yet, so thought I'd say hi so you stick around :lol:
Well done on quitting smoking!!! That's an even harder habit to kick than junk food. The difference with food of course if we need it to survive.

I have been doing a low carb diet which has worked well. It will work even better for you starting the diet with your gym membership (I did it with very little excersize so it took nearly a year to lose 20kg)

I suggest eating lots of vegies, raw or cooked. Eat meat, fish, chicken, eggs (I hope you aren't vegan ;) )
I always snack on nuts if I get peckish.
Stear clear of diet dairy products as they remove the fat and replace with higher carbs.
Cruskits are a good alternative to bread.
Have pasta no more than once a week and make sure you have a gym workout planned straight after LOL same goes for rice.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wDbTEaF/]
[/url]
dimples

Postby Shalimar » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Hello, welcome and the best of luck to you both :D .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby willty » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi.
I just started the KM diet today after having gone to the gym for the last 3-4 months and actually gaing 3 kilos.
I ran into a mum from school and thought she had lost a bit of weight. Turns out 22 kilos in about 8 -9weeks. couldnt bloody believe it. So off iwent to the chemist to grab a weeks worth of shakes.
I weighed 86.3 kilos when i got on the scales down there today. I must say i am pretty tall (168), but the chemist girl said im just over the borderline obesity line. I dont think im THAT fat and my partner said thats bloody ridiculous. I have weighed 92 about 10 years ago and lost about 15 thru taking duromine and cutting out fat. Although i wouldnt reccomend this to anyone who wants to continue thinking strait. It also wreaks havoc on your body.
I think im going to miss my wine the most. Getting into the warmer weather means BBQs and lots of bottles of wines with friends.
Goodluck with it all and keep me posted.
Oh the good thing about this weather is salads. YUM. get a sald cookbook and go to town. WE just made a seafood salad fpr tea and it is delish!!!
Willty
willty

Postby dimples » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:36 pm

mMMMMMMMMmm nom seafood salad

Why is it we gain weight at the gym? I've put on a kilo in 2 weeks working out and I mainly do cardio :( it's so dissapointing.

willty wrote:Hi.
I just started the KM diet today after having gone to the gym for the last 3-4 months and actually gaing 3 kilos.
I ran into a mum from school and thought she had lost a bit of weight. Turns out 22 kilos in about 8 -9weeks. couldnt bloody believe it. So off iwent to the chemist to grab a weeks worth of shakes.
I weighed 86.3 kilos when i got on the scales down there today. I must say i am pretty tall (168), but the chemist girl said im just over the borderline obesity line. I dont think im THAT fat and my partner said thats bloody ridiculous. I have weighed 92 about 10 years ago and lost about 15 thru taking duromine and cutting out fat. Although i wouldnt reccomend this to anyone who wants to continue thinking strait. It also wreaks havoc on your body.
I think im going to miss my wine the most. Getting into the warmer weather means BBQs and lots of bottles of wines with friends.
Goodluck with it all and keep me posted.
Oh the good thing about this weather is salads. YUM. get a sald cookbook and go to town. WE just made a seafood salad fpr tea and it is delish!!!
Willty
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wDbTEaF/]
[/url]
dimples

Postby yoyogirl88 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:33 pm

Because if you havent exercised in a while your muscle shrink and when you start any exercise (hehe cardio uses muscles too) the muscles start to grow again.
And Muscle is heavier than fat which is why we should measure and use our clothes to check our progress.
My Dr said to be any waist measurement loss is worth a LOT more than any kg loss.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby yoyogirl88 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:36 pm

Oh and Hiya Hun and welcome to the forums.
I myself and trying the "eat well exercise more" method :) hehe. Its taken me 2 months ( I wasnt working or doing any exercise before I started so I had a LOT of muscle to get back) to start losing weight but I feel so much healthier already.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Rosie Peters » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:42 pm

I've re-joined the gym, but would like some advice as to what diet's have worked for you? And what you've used as motivation to stick to it?

A really simple diet of mainly lean protein, unsaturated fats and complex carbs (carbs mostly in the first 1/2 of the day) plus 3 days cardio and 3 days weights a week. But the most important thing for me was to give up alcohol (full stop). My motivation, willpower and stamina are all due to being alert rather than relaxed in attitude. (I did drink a lot every day, but even if you are a moderate or social drinker, having a drink often means you've got a salty snack or worse, a ciggy, in the other hand :( )
Last edited by matchbox on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no advertising please
Rosie Peters

Postby cherry847 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi Karissa,

Welcome! There's so much great support and advice here you are bound to reach your goals in no time!

I haven't followed any 'specific' diets like Atkins or shakes or anything like that because essentially I have the knowledge and know what I need to do, I just didn't do it. Like for example veges every day, stop eating chips and chocolate so much, etc. So I researched my foods using Calorie King (really helpful website and book if you'd like to look at calorie counting) to figure out how much I should be eating per day and how much I actually was eating per day which needless to say was way more than I was expending :shock:

So what I basically did is this, and it worked for me! My calories per day were about 1500 (but everyone's different), so I would break it down - 300 for breakfast, 400 for lunch and 500 for dinner, and the extra 300 cals were for snacks so I could either have that all in one go if I was having a 'treat' like dessert, or break it down and have 3 x 100 cal snacks in between meals. It helped me stay on track. And also did 3 cardio sessions per week and 3 toning sessions per week.

Also, one more tip - just watch how much you're eating after starting a gym workout because your body will naturally be hungrier after expending more energy than it's used to so you might be eating more than before without realising.... took me awhile to figure that out for myself! :D
This week's goal... control portion sizes!
cherry847

Any advice?

Postby misskarissa » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Hey Guys,
WOW! Thanx for the prompt response!
It seems to make things so much easier when you've got the support of others.. :D
So I'm going to go with the Low Carb diet-
I've bought a few of those 'Celebrity Slim' shakes for breakfast for the week.
I've gone low-carb before and it worked quite well (with regular exercise of course), however I just wanted to hear what worked for you and whether you had any yummy recipes (because unfortunately I'm a fan of McDonalds!) :(
I'm not a big girl, but I'd like to lose about 5-6kgs and tone up a bit so we'll see how we go!
I'll keep you all posted and please do the same.
xxx
misskarissa

Postby emily.john » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:31 pm

Hey there,

I was looking for personal trainer as I was out of shape after my car accident. After Googling, I came across a website called averageguyworkouts.com. Their online discussion forum was great help to me. Their staff helped me personally for all the queries. I highly recommond their help and support.

http://www.averageguyworkouts.com
emily.john

Postby miranda*jane » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:20 pm

misskarissa wrote:I've bought a few of those 'Celebrity Slim' shakes for breakfast for the week.

Hey Karissa.

I'm also on Celebrity Slim. The shakes take a bit to get used to...at first, I didn't look forward to having them at all, but now it's all good. I went off them for a little and was stuck for what to have for breakfast in the morning. It's an easy enough diet to stick to, but if you need any help at all, let me know. And good luck!

<3 M
. . . when the rich wage war . . . it's the poor who die . . .
miranda*jane

Return to Weight loss Talk