It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:31 pm

Free Newsletter

how many meals to eat?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

how many meals to eat?

Postby 8039 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:09 pm

Is it better to have 3 healthy meals at 600 calories each or 6 healthy meals at 300 calories? I honestly find it impossible to do 6 and if anything it leaves me thinking about nothing but food which is something I don't need. I cut out junk food and most processed food which makes it even harder to eat 6 times (all the time spent preparing)

Re: how many meals to eat?

Postby Freddy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:37 pm

I'm always trying to do 3 meals, with a snack in between. I guess that way you could even cheat on your diet, and eat even less than 1800 calories ;)
Freddy

Postby beanie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:44 pm

I try to eat breakfast(cereal) morning tea(fruit) lunch(baked beans on toast) snack(rice crackers) dinner(meat and salad/veg) and thats it. I try not to eat after dinner at all. Its hard but I wake up feeling much better if I dont eat after 8pm. I also try to aim for 1300 cals per day max, I have been around 1150-1250 everyday this week (thats with exercise subtracted)
BRINGING SEXY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

SW - 74.7kgs
CW - 73.7kgs
GW - 60-64kgs

1st mini goal-crack into the 60s by 11th Oct-besties 30th
2nd mini goal-65 by Christmas
beanie

Postby Rosie Peters » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Eating small meals often helps boost your metabolism, if you are eating the right things.

I eat similarly to beanie, except I have fruit and low fat yoghurt at night (at least an hour before bed, though). 6 or so small meals work for me and keep the food cravings away. (a meal could be an apple or a protein bar - so no prep needed :D )
Rosie Peters

Postby MissMinx » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:37 pm

I've been eating 3 meals per day, carbs only for breakfast and lunch and none for dinner on meat & veggies.

Then between my meals I have little snacks like a small tub of Jalna low fat yoghurt (really great nutrition wise), then in the arvo I either have some chic peas and raw almonds or like 3 boiled eggs (eating only 1 yolk) and a little almonds.... keeps me going.

I eat quite late because ive been working out so intensly lately so by the time I finish and have a shower and then cook meat & veb...then its at least 8.30pm - but I do let it settle before I sleep and no other food after that meal at night at all.

MM
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:34 am

Im with most people here. I eat 3 main meals with snacks in between although I normally dont have a morning snack because I eat breakfats at 9ish then lunch at 12-1 (the joys of being stuck at home) Though I might have 2 snack between lunch and dinner (which is between 6 and 8pm). Most of the time I dont eat after dinner but I will sometimes have a salada with some peanut butter or a choc o'lait (jarrah) hot drink. This is finally working fo me so Im happy.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby jessica86 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:43 am

i eat 5-6 small meals a day, between 200 & 300 cals each meal, but lunch & dinner are usually a bit more. i usually space them out so 2-3hrs between each meal.

example-
meal 1- protein shake & banana (300cals)(5am)
meal 2- apple & low fat yogurt(200cals)(9am)
meal 3- muesli with soy milk & a V8 juice (300cals)(12:30pm)
meal 4- grain crackers with cottage cheese(200cals)(3:30pm)
meal 5- tofu with steamed vegies (400cals)(6:30pm)
meal 6- 4 pieces of chocolate(50cals)(8pm)

i find im less hungry all the time, and i dont tend to overeat at 'main' meals because ive just had a snack 2hrs before!
jessica86

Postby mythril_hawk » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:47 pm

I actually spoke to my doctor about this same issue recently, I have just started out on losing weight and had read lots of articles etc online claiming that eating 5 smaller meals a day speeds up your metabolism and therefore you burn more fat during the day than if you ate 3 bigger meals...

After asking my doctor if that was true he told me that it is and it isn't...

He said basically the essence of losing weight is burning more calories in a day than you consume, if you are eating 2500 calories a day and burning 3000 calories a day then you will lose weight, its impossible not to.

He said that the 5 meals a day would speed up my metabolism to some degree but the effect would be so minimal that it is not worth changing for the sake of it, he suggested I stick to my regular routine and just as long as I burn more than I eat then it doesnt really matter if I have 9 meals a day or 1 meal a day.

That put my mind at rest a bit as he is a very experienced long-serving GP and former heart surgeon.
mythril_hawk

Postby jessica86 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:16 am

weight loss is achieved by calories out exceeding calories in, so yes it doesnt matter how many meals a day you have, its how many calories u have. everyone is different, some people work better with 5 small meals, and some with 3 bigger meals. it totally depends on the individual & their lifestyle. for me, i prefer 5-6 small meals a day because i feel less hungry, i feel more energised, and i get less reflux, plus it suits my lifestyle.

you go with what works well for you

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby Johnny_walts » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:36 pm

Hey jessica86,

Nice diet chart. I feel hungry.
Johnny_walts

Return to Weight loss Talk