It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Safe rate of weight loss?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Safe rate of weight loss?

Postby mythril_hawk » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a new member here, only just signed up, mainly in the hope that talking to other people sharing the experience of weight loss would make the journey easier to accomplish :)

I have a question though that has been on my mind for a few days now and I was wondering if anybody could help me with some advice...

I started my weight loss campaign a few weeks ago when I signed up to my local gym, since then I have been going every weekday for approx 1 hour a day in the afternoon as well as doing a 45min walk every day before attending the gym.

I am fairly tall, 193cm (6'4 in the old scale) and at the start of going to the gym i weighed 128kg and currently am 120kg, a loss of 8kgs so far.

My fear is that I may actually be losing weight "too quickly" if thats possible, for example, in the past 2 weeks I have lost 3.8kg and in the 2 weeks before that I lost 3.4kg, so roughly I am losing 1.7 to 1.9 kg a week, which I have been told by a few people is too much to be healthy.

I would like to add that I have changed my diet as well, but not a great deal, I still enjoy pizza every Friday night, hamburgers & rissoles regularly (home made with low fat mince etc though, not from fast food shops) as well as toasted sandwiches for lunch some days (once again, home made with low fat products etc), so I don't think I am eating an unhealthily low amount of food, I do eat much less than I used to before I started going to the gym (as I am just not as hungry as I used to be!).
I have been trying to cut out Carbs as much as possible though.

I would also like to point out that previously I NEVER used to excercise, I have an office job so get very little exercise in my daily work, and I used to always finish work at 4pm, go home and eat and watch tv... But now I go for my 45min walk and then do an hour at the gym 5 days a week, so thats roughly 5+ hours of exercise a week that I get now that I never used to, plus I am not sitting at home eating what I used to eat.

So basically, after all that, my question is: Is losing 1.9 kgs a week too much? Because the last thing I want to do is have all this weight come back on after all those hours slaving in the gym....

I'm sorry for such a long post, I just thought that filling people with as much background info as possible would help with any answers...

Any thoughts / opinions would be greatly appreciated as it is something that has been weighing on my mind :(

Thank you all :)
mythril_hawk

Re: Safe rate of weight loss?

Postby yoyogirl88 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:01 am

Hi hun, It sounds as though you are well on your way down the right track. Its not wonderful to lose weight so quickly BUT... you have just started on your journey and will lose a lot of fluid at first which will show as big losses. It will start to slow down shortly so do not fear. If it doesnt though I'd suggest taking a closer look at your diet and seeing the doc about it. Also there is a site http://www.calorieking.com.au that is BRILLIANT. you can record your food each day and see if you are putting in the right amount of cals each day.

I hope I have been helpful :)
Good luck on your Journey.

Yoyo
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Mandie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:35 am

Your weight loss will slow down... so don't worry too much! if you are killing yourself to lose weight that fast (eating less than the recommended minimum of 1200 calories per day, exercising for hours each day), then yes, it's not good - just like the people from "The Biggest Loser", you'll have loads of loose skin and you are in danger of putting it back on when you can't sustain that level of exercise/dieting.

However, it sounds like you are being relatively sensible, so don't worry too much.. keep doing what you are doing and don't be discouraged if your weight loss drops down - it wouldn't be unusual for you to hit a plateau soon or even gain a little as your body readjusts itself - but keep eating healthily and exercising and the weight will continue to come off, at a slower rate - which means you can keep it off, and you shouldn't have too much loose skin!
Mandie

Postby PenM » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:51 pm

It's safe. Losing that fast is safe unless if you are doing low carb diet. It might be your muscle which is losing.
PenM

Postby mythril_hawk » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:22 am

Thank you very much for the replies :) They are much appreciated!

As for the low carb diet thing, I am trying to avoid foods that are high in carbs (potato, rice, bananas etc) but I don't think I am on a low-card diet so to speak... Well not that I specifically know of haha, I'm very new to this weight loss thing, so I'm pretty naeive with it all sorry :oops:

I certainly hope it is not muscle I am losing as every 2nd gym session I do about 30 mins muscle work on my upper body using the weights machines, so if I'm losing all my hard work there then I won't be happy! :lol:

Anyway thanks again for the replies, its great to have people to talk to about this, theres no-one in my life that I can really discuss it with, so cheers :D
mythril_hawk

Postby Johnny_walts » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 pm

include fruit in your diet.
Johnny_walts

Postby Tarz » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:49 pm

I'm throwing my 2 cents in:

Like Mandie said it will slow down, you won't continueously lose large amounts every week. If you were then something would be wrong. The healthy amount to lose is generally between .5kg to 1kg a week but with saying that you are losing large amounts because you have only just started, alot will be water weight then once thattles down and you find your self building muscle from the gym it will seem like the weight loss will slow down dramatically but don't be put off by it. Muscle weights more then fat but is alot denser. So maybe take some measurements of stomach, chest, arms and thighs and watch your progress that way.
Theres no need to cut carbs right out but only eat them if you think you will use them. If you have a big dinner at night full of rice or pasta then thats not a good idea. have your carbs for breakfast or at lunch time so you have the day top work them off. Remember carbs are your bodys first source of energy so if you cut them out you'll feel your energy levels drop. If you like your foods like curry just replace 1/2 to 2/3 of the rice with cooked veg. Great filler they are.

The amount of exercise your doing is a great start, and its unlikely you'll be losing your muscle.
Your quite tall so your ideal weight is probably around 100kg, check out calorie king like others suggested. Its got some great information and suggestions and can give you an idea of where your weight should be.

Don't stress about putting it on again afterwards, with all the information you are going to learn and getting hooked on the exercise you will be saying goodbye to it forever. Hope some of this helps and i haven't been thinking faster then i tyupe again. :lol:
Tarz

Postby mythril_hawk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks heaps Tarz, thats a great informative post and certainly helps put my mind at rest, cheers! :D
mythril_hawk

Postby mythril_hawk » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:00 am

Hmmm well it doesnt seem to have slowed down :?

I weigh myself every fortnight and in the last 2 weeks I have gone from 119.6 to 114.4, so a loss of 5.2kg in 2 weeks, making my total loss 14.4 kg in 10 weeks, however 12.4kg of that has come in the past 6 weeks (since I started attending the gym).

Still seems rather quick to me, and to be honest I can't see much of a difference in my body, even after going from 128kg to 114kg.

I have people commenting on me saying gee you have lost weight, but when I look at myself in the mirror I honestly cannot tell much difference, which makes me sad and wonder whether or not the people around me are just saying that I have lost weight because they know I am trying to and are just saying it for the sake of cheering me up...

Ive tried taking measurements but I scrapped that plan because I dont know how to do it correctly, I can put the tape around me and get a measurement and then do it again in the exact same spot 5 seconds later and get a totally different measurement lol.

Anyway just a bit depressed at the moment, hard to keep finding motivation!
mythril_hawk

Postby Tarz » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:33 am

Do not lose motivation! The only person you'll be sabotaging by thinking like that is yourself! Think about the fact that you have lost nearly 15kg. Just because you can't see it yet doesn't mean you should stop or give up. You see yourself every day so you won't actually notice the small changes but the people who have commented probably haven't seen you everyday so its easier for them to notice.
Your doing great.
Tarz

Postby mythril_hawk » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:48 am

Thanks Tarz, much appreciated :)

I guess it just plays on my mind a bit and I sometimes get a bit paranoid with the whole weight loss thing...

I am going to keep trying and my goal is to get myself to 100kg, I am fairly tall (6'4) so I think 100kg would be a nice weight to hold if I could manage it, I figure that if I manage to get down to 100kg then I will be able to notice the change myself in the mirror and that will keep me motivated to maintain that weight...

Id love to hit double figures one day as well, even for just an hour to see the scales read 99kg... I swear I would take a photo of the scales, have it blown up to size A3 paper and have it framed for my wall! :wink: :lol:

Thanks again :)
mythril_hawk

Postby Tarz » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:14 am

mythril_hawk wrote: I swear I would take a photo of the scales, have it blown up to size A3 paper and have it framed for my wall!

Hey thats what i plan to do if i ever see myself in the 60's. Even if its 69.9kg :lol:

You just gotta keep going, even if you get to a point where you aren't seeing anything you gotta keep going and find new ways to motivate yourself.
100kg would propably be a good weight, like you said your pretty damn tall.
Tarz

Postby miranda*jane » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:48 am

mythril_hawk wrote:Still seems rather quick to me, and to be honest I can't see much of a difference in my body, even after going from 128kg to 114kg.

I have people commenting on me saying gee you have lost weight, but when I look at myself in the mirror I honestly cannot tell much difference, which makes me sad and wonder whether or not the people around me are just saying that I have lost weight because they know I am trying to and are just saying it for the sake of cheering me up...

Trust me, it'll be showing. I lost 20kgs and I still look the same to myself in the mirror. Everyone keeps telling me "Wow, you've lost so much weight!" etc, but I keep thinking...well, why can't I see it. Then I look at photos of myself from January (when I started losing weight) and think...damn, you can notice it...It's because you look at yourself everyday, do you don't notice the tiny differences that happen from day to day.

So here's my advice...take a few photos...then compare them to some older ones...see if you can see a difference that way.

'Grats on such an awesome job so far and good luck for the rest of the journey.

<3 M
. . . when the rich wage war . . . it's the poor who die . . .
miranda*jane

Return to Weight loss Talk