It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:54 pm

Free Newsletter

Panadol's fattening?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Panadol's fattening?

Postby mythril_hawk » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:11 am

Ok this may appear as a weird question, but has anybody heard about panadol being fattening?

I know it has a very high sodium content (400 or so mg per tablet) but is this the only bad factor with taking them?

I know sodium causes water retention which I assume would only be temporary, but there is no information available which actually says whether or not Panadol's are bad for weight loss or not, nor does it say on the packet how many calories are in them.

The main reason I ask is that recently I have had to take a lot due to a very bad sore throat problem (I had 12 panadol's yesterday alone, including 3 just before bed so I could actually get to sleep).

Thoughts?
mythril_hawk

Re: Panadol's fattening?

Postby Mandie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:12 am

Seriously? I don't want to trivialise your question... but Panadol is paracetamol.. it's a protein, yes, but it is a chemical pain killer. The tablet dissolves when it hits your stomach, the ingredients are digested, and used up - it goes to work on your pain! It is completely "burnt off" after about 4 hours, which is why your pain might come back and you might have to take more. Theoretically there may be a calorie in them, but it would be VERY small and it would be immediately burnt off - therefore paracetamol does not make you gain weight.

On a related topic, tablets do not make you gain weight. Some tablets can make you retain a bit of water. Some tablets can increase your appetite, and some tablets can even decrease your metabolic weight - making it easier to gain weight or harder to lose it. But the tablet itself cannot make you gain weight - the way you gain weight is by eating more calories than you are burning off - yes it is really this simple. If your metabolic rate changes, you may gain weight without changing how many calories you take in - this is because you are burning off less.

Frankly, there are no tablets that make you lose weight either. They assist YOU to eat less by decreasing your appetite, or they assist you to burn off more by increasing your metabolic rate. But they don't do it themselves, and if you are taking a weight loss pill, and still eating more calories than you burn off, then you will continue to gain weight.

But no-one has to worry about calories in tablets! Only if you took 1000s of sugar pills in a day... or perhaps took all your tablets smothered in chocolate!
Mandie

Postby Mandie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:17 am

Oh, and on another note - please read the packet regarding maximum doses! The usual dose of panadol is 1g (that's two tablets) and you can have these MAXIMUM four hours apart (no closer!). You can only have a total of 4g in 24 hours - which means no more than 8 tablets in a day! If this is not sufficient for your pain, try alternating with some ibuprofen (nurofen or advil) - check the packet for instructions, but you can usually take 400mg at a time (1-2 tablets depending on the strength of the tablets you buy) and you should only take these four times a day - preferably with food as they can upset your stomach. If this isn't working, see your doctor or after hours clinic to get some stronger prescribed pain killers.

Paracetamol seems like a very safe drug because you can buy it in the supermarket.. not so! Even overdosing by a little bit can affect your liver, and if people already have a degree of liver damage and don't know, exceeding 8 tablets per day can cause liver failure, which will leave you on the transplant list, or dead! I don't want to scare everyone off - if you have less than 8 tablets per day, it's fine, and you can even do this for the long term. But increasing the dose can be very dangerous.. I've seen lots of teenagers in the emergency department who thought they could take an overdose of 15-20 tablets and they would be fine - and they end up waiting for a new liver... some of them can't wait. So be very careful, and ALWAYS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and NEVER EXCEED THE MAXIMUM DOSE!
Mandie

Postby mythril_hawk » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:26 am

Thanks for the replies Mandie, it has put my mind at rest a bit knowing that there arent any calories in the panadols I was taking. It was panadol rapid as well if that makes any difference? I dont think it does, it just absorbs into your system quicker somehow...

I guess just the warning about the high sodium content on the side of the packet scared me off a bit, but maybe thats just there for the benefit of people with medical conditions.

Anyway thanks again :) and I was also unaware that panadol could cause "that much" damage as far as taking more than the recommended dose is concerned, I always thought of those recommended doses on the packet as just basic guidelines to stop them being sued by someone, 8 per day isnt that many!

When playing rugby league I get some really bad headaches afterwards and have been known to have 12-15 tablets in the space of 7 or 8 hours after a game, so I might need to get out of that habit! :oops:

Cheers for the help :)
mythril_hawk

Postby Mandie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:39 am

Yep, definitely don't have that many panadols! Seriously, having some nurofen handy and just alternating with that works well, that's what I do - you can still take a tablet every 4 hours or so but you are keeping to the right doses!

And Panadol Rapid works faster because it has a touch of caffeine in it - helps the tablet absorb quicker and speeds up your metabolic rate slightly so you get it into the system faster!
Mandie

Postby mythril_hawk » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:48 am

Caffeine in Panadol Rapid, really?

Learn something every day :)

I guess that balances out the water retention that the sodium gives you then, as caffeine is known to dehydrate the body, so with the Panadol Rapid tablets having both sodium & caffeine they might rule eachother out and a normal hydration level maintained :)

Thanks again.
mythril_hawk

Postby Mandie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:53 am

No worries, any time :)
Mandie

Postby Shalimar » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:06 am

That paracetamol business has scared me off now. I have overdosed on it twice before and it wasn't nice. I have no lasting effects but at the time I was vomiting, had a very bad case of the shakes and generally felt crappola. Oh well it won't happen again thanks to Mandie :D .
Just a quick question if you don't mind Mandie :D , if someone can't take nurofen etc. due to asthma what ,apart from paracetamol, is suitable?

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby mythril_hawk » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:59 am

So you can't take Nurofen because of the Ibuprofen Shalimar?

If you want to avaoid Panadol (Paracetamol) and Nurofen (Ibuprofen) then the only other options for pain relief are Aspirins such as Aspro Clear & Bayer, and Cartia to a lower degree (mainly for blood conditions, not pain).

Unless theres something else I'm not thinking of, which would probably require a prescription.
mythril_hawk

Postby Shalimar » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:44 pm

I'm pretty sure I can't take aspirin and dispirin either mythril :) .

Shalimar

Postby jessica86 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:53 pm

shalimer, are you allergic to NSAIDS(non steriodal anti inflammatory drugs) or just brufen alone?

im a nurse, and i reckon at least once a month we get people in for ODing on panadol- not intentionally either. so many people think, oh its just panadol, but it can kill you!

mythril hawk, if ur taking that many panadols a day, perhaps u need to see ur doctor for some more adequate pain relief. brufen is a good choice, but alot of people can have reactions. i myself gained 60kg in 3 months from it!

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby Shalimar » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:22 pm

Hi Jessica, as far as I know I'm not allergic to either but I don't want to find out the hard way that I am. The last time I read the packaging it said for asthmatics not to use them and the chemist advised against me using them also. Just lucky I don't need pain killers too often :P .

Shalimar

Postby Mandie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:44 pm

Okay.. lots of issues here!

1. Ibuprofen does not cause weight gain. Ibuprofen tends to cause nausea, vomiting and can cause abdominal bloating and constipation. It has contributed to weight loss. It has lots of other potential side effects, but in the long list, weight gain is not one of them.

2. Ibuprofen (Nurofen) is not contraindicated in asthma - it is rather a "precaution". That's because it can trigger asthma attacks in some people.. as can aspirin. You can still take either of these, but talk to your doctor first.

3. If you stick to 8 or less tablets of paracetamol per day, you should be fine. If you experience side effects at this level, see your doctor.

4. Aside from paracetamol, aspirin and ibuprofen (or similar), there aren't any other over the counter pain relievers - you would have to see your doctor for a prescription for something.

All good? Any questions? :)
Mandie

Postby Shalimar » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:20 pm

All good, no questions :lol: .

It's pretty much as I figured Mandie, as I said before I don't often use a pain killer so it's not much of an issue, I was just wondering if there was an alternative :D .

Thanks again Mandie.

Shalimar

Postby Mandie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:54 pm

No worries, anytime :)
Mandie

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk