It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:08 am

Free Newsletter

Is Pasta ALWAYS a disaster?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is Pasta ALWAYS a disaster?

Postby ClareG » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:34 pm

Hey Everyone. Is pasta a complete no no if you are trying to lose weight? I stayed within my calorie allowance today, but I had pasta for dinner (someone else cooked it for me). It was not a huge serve and it had a tomato based chicken sauce with it. Maybe it's just a case of everything in moderation, or maybe it's a case of "Diet Disaster!" Whatd'ya think? :?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGP41gj/]

~:~Clare ~:~
ClareG

Re: Is Pasta ALWAYS a disaster?

Postby BeyondBeauty » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:42 pm

I don't think it's always a disaster, although you're probably better to go with brown pasta's than white... just make sure you control your portion sizes, maybe had half a serve and supplement with a salad. I was on the Lite n Easy program for a month and some of their lunches and dinners include small serves of pasta.

BB x x
Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:07 pm

It is my opinion that no food is a 'no no' in moderation. That said, there are some food I just don't eat. Maccas for eg. And it's not because it's banned, but because I don't like it anywhere near enough to justify the caloric intake.

So, you probably wouldn't want to have pasta every day or every meal (and who would want to?) but you're not going to suddenly become 500kg heavier overnight because you had a bowl of linguini, now are you?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby mythril_hawk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:22 am

Its not the end of the world, I still have pasta, pizzas, sausages etc, all the "bad" things... As long as you don't go overboard on it then its ok :)

If your that paranoid about the carbs from pasta, just add 15 or 20 mins excercise to your next day's schedule, you have roughly 24hrs to burn off excess carbs, if you do that then they don't count.
mythril_hawk

Postby ClareG » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:08 pm

Thanks Guys. All great responses. I guess the proof will be in the pudding. (Weigh-In on Wednesday)
Cheers :)

ClareG

Postby Tarz » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:17 pm

Heres a little carb info that should help you:
Weight gain comes from eating too many calories
The basic principle of any low carbohydrate diet is that carbohydrates cause weight gain. This is misleading. You gain weight if you consume too many kilojoules (or calories) - it doesn’t matter whether they are from carbohydrates, proteins or fats.

There’s nothing special about a low carbohydrate dietLow carbohydrate diets cause you to lose weight because they restrict kilojoules or energy. This approach to eating starves the body of the nutrients it needs and can cause major metabolic disturbances to the body. There is nothing special about the proportions of protein to carbohydrate - there are just fewer kilojoules consumed in these diets, which causes the weight loss.

Low carb weight loss is mainly water in the short term
The body stores excess glucose as glycogen and converts glycogen back into glucose to use as fuel if there is not enough carbohydrate in the diet. Around 3g of water is needed to release one gram of glycogen, so the rapid initial weight loss on a low carbohydrate diet is mostly water, not body fat.

When a normal diet is resumed, some muscle tissue is rebuilt, water is restored and weight quickly returns, mostly as fat. This can contribute to the problem effect of dieting called the ‘yoyo’ effect.
Tarz

Postby ClareG » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:47 pm

I think I get your point - a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Whether it comes from pasta, or chicken or lettuce. I should concentrate on my calorie intake and not get hung up on carbs.
Good on you and thanks :)

ClareG

Postby Freddy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:44 pm

I've found that pasta isn't a disaster when I do my daily 25km to work or home. Last week I ate an entire microwave meal of spaghetti and lost weight that day. In my humble opinion, if you can't eat pasta, you don't exercise enough (however that is a bit narrow minded, I know)...
Freddy

Postby mum2james » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:25 pm

I've lost 16.1kg on WeightWatchers and every week i've had at least one pasta meal. I used wholemeal/wholegrain pasta and don't use creamy sauces. Instead I use tomato based once or make my own from vegies, herbs and a can of diced tomatoes. I also never add salt to my pasta as it makes me feel bloated.

Hope that helps. :)
Stacey - 25 and mum to a beautiful 5 year old boy. :-)

Current weight: 76kg
Goal Weight: 70kg
mum2james

Postby aga » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:55 pm

Pasta is actually very good in your diet as along as it's a brown pasta. But practically all the pasta does have low GI so it keeps you full for much longer :D
Because you don't have to be a hippopotamus
http://www.life-stinks.com
aga

Return to Weight loss Talk