It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:54 pm

Free Newsletter

To walk fast or jog?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

To walk fast or jog?

Postby fat_ass » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:47 pm

Me and friend have a dilemma every time we go to gym. He says that he can burn more calories walking on the "dreadmill" at a fast tempo then jogging. Is this correct? I mean isn't the amount of calories you burn directly proportional to your heart rate and always my heart rate is higher than his and we are about the same weight. Also, I have the idea that jogging exerts more pressure on to your body meaning the toning of muscles possibly.
SW=99.7
CW=95.6
GW=80.0
fat_ass

Re: To walk fast or jog?

Postby miranda*jane » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:33 pm

That's a good question...I always thought you'd burn more jogging...cause you got faster, right?...hmm
. . . when the rich wage war . . . it's the poor who die . . .
miranda*jane

Postby lucyd » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:03 am

No, it's not true. You burn calories mainly according to the distance you travel, the temperature, and so on. Of course, doing more strenuous activity like running will result in burning more calories in a shorter time. It is better to jog than to walk
lucyd

Postby SarahC » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:14 pm

I don't know how reliable the calorie readouts are on treadmills, but according to what the treadmill says, I burn calories at the same rate (about 700cals/hour) either:
- walking at 7.3km/hr at 15% incline, or
- running at 10km/hr at 4% incline.

So, I think if you walk really fast and have maximum incline, then you could burn calories just as fast as if you were jogging.... (but that's just if you believe the calories the treadmill tells you :wink: )
SarahC

Postby matchbox » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:18 pm

7.3 is more of a jog for me :lol: damn short legs!
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby fat_ass » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:29 pm

If 7.3 is a walk for you then you must have damn long legs.

Since we are on the topic of calories, are you saying that the calories stated on the treadmill are not accurate? Inaccurate that it shows more than you burn or vice versa?
SW=99.7
CW=95.6
GW=80.0
fat_ass

Postby SarahC » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:48 pm

No, I'm just saying that I don't know if it's accurate or not... :?

I don't think I have exceptionally long legs, I just hang on tight haha. It's quite a fast walk, I can't do it with no hands!
SarahC

Postby BeyondBeauty » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:18 pm

SarahC wrote:No, I'm just saying that I don't know if it's accurate or not... :?

I don't think I have exceptionally long legs, I just hang on tight haha. It's quite a fast walk, I can't do it with no hands!

I would have thought you'd be better off slowing it down to a speed where you are able to exercise whilst swinging your arms, as adding arms to the workout helps increase heart rate....

BB
Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Postby fat_ass » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:52 pm

BeyondBeauty wrote:
SarahC wrote:No, I'm just saying that I don't know if it's accurate or not... :?

I would have thought you'd be better off slowing it down to a speed where you are able to exercise whilst swinging your arms, as adding arms to the workout helps increase heart rate....

BB

You make a good point.

SarahC wrote:I can't do it with no hands!

That's what she said!
SW=99.7
CW=95.6
GW=80.0
fat_ass

Postby cherry847 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:32 am

I've read somewhere that apparently you need to take off 10% off the calories burnt on exercise machines because they're not accurate, and you burn more working out outside then you do on a machine, for example walking/jogging outside than you would on a treadmill as you are propelled forward a bit. Only negative with this is it's easier to slow down outside as you have no idea how fast you're going!!

But the lucyd is right, you will burn approximately the same calories per distance, but walking will take you longer to get there than running if that makes sense to anyone other than me!
This week's goal... control portion sizes!
cherry847

Return to Weight loss Talk