It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:38 pm

Free Newsletter

Burn more calories than i take......?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Burn more calories than i take......?

Postby hyuj » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:59 pm

Hey all how are ya :wink:

A lot of articles say if you want to lose weight/fat you have to burn more calories than u get, which makes perfect sense, HOWEVER:

We all know we have to eat some carb to get energy, BEFORE we play sport to lose weight. OK. But, it is confusing, because lets say we eat muffin, and lets say its 150 calories, and we work hard to lose 200 calories, IN the end, we only lose.....50 calories?????

You guys get what i mean right? We need to eat something before exercising to get a source of energy, yet at the same time we are also trying to lose weight? So lets say your aim today is to lose 150 calories, which can be done by, say, running 15 minutes, you have to eat something as a source of energy before, and lets say it is an energy bar containing 100 calories, therefore in the end, you work so hard only to lose.....50 calories?
hyuj

Re: Burn more calories than i take......?

Postby fat_ass » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:29 pm

By doing nothing you lose about 2000 calories.
SW=99.7
CW=95.6
GW=80.0
fat_ass

Postby hyuj » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:53 pm

Thanks for the reply man

well....that does nto really help, im asking a different question....not " how much calories will i burn if i do nothing"

:o thanks
hyuj

Postby yoyogirl88 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:11 pm

Basically Im not quite sure what you mean. But any calories you burn is good. Half an hour to an hour a few times a week should burn enough to help you lose if you watch your intake. If you still are confused I suggest you ask a proffessional.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby mythril_hawk » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:24 pm

your body is burning between 1500-3000 (depending on your censored/size etc) per day just to keep you breathing and alive...

so If your body requires 2000 calories a day just to function and you eat 2000 calories a day, then your going to break even without even exercising... When you start exercising you may burn off say 500 calories, that means for the day you have -500 calories and your body will take that -500 from your fat stores = losing weight.

Its pretty easy to understand :P
mythril_hawk

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:21 am

Well, yes you should eat some carbs before exercising but most of us have carbs during the day regardless. Only serious athletes who are more concerned with performance than weight loss would need extra food to fuel their training on top of their normal diet. A light breakfast of cereal an hour or so before exercise will be enough to power you for a morning run for example. There's really no need for an extra muffin unless your priority is athletic training and not weight loss.

Many people fall into this trap. "I walked to the shops so I deserve that chocolate eclair" is a common mantra among people trying to lose weight. Never mind the fact that they would have burned less than 100 calories walking and the chocolate eclair is worth 200 calories!

You can certainly add treats in and still lose weight, but you still have to make sure it doesn't exceed the calories burned during exercise. And of course you will lose weight quicker if you don't have those extra muffins! But many people need those occasional treats or they couldn't stick to their weight loss program. So it's just a matter of balancing it all out in a way that suits you.

The other thing to take into consideration is that your metabolism will be raised for some time after exercise. So using your example you may burn 200 calories while working out, but your raised metabolism is likely to burn extra calories in the hours after exercise. Another thing to consider is if you build muscle while working out your resting metabolism will also be raised since muscle burns more calories than fat. So 200 calories worth of exercise could end up burning a great deal more than that in the long term.

Hope this helps!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby hyuj » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:49 pm

mythril_hawk wrote:your body is burning between 1500-3000 (depending on your censored/size etc) per day just to keep you breathing and alive...

so If your body requires 2000 calories a day just to function and you eat 2000 calories a day, then your going to break even without even exercising... When you start exercising you may burn off say 500 calories, that means for the day you have -500 calories and your body will take that -500 from your fat stores = losing weight.

Hey

Its a pretty good news, however im not exatcly sure if i understand whaat u said.

Basically, JUST to keep me breathing and alive, my body burns 1500-3000 calories depending on censored/size etc???????Really? lol i never knew that!!! :o

So basically if i dont do anything, just eat normally, healthy, im already losing fat? that, PLUS me exercising is gonna lsoe more fat??
hyuj

Postby hyuj » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:52 pm

Im really sorry i cannot find the edit button so heres my other question:

In a normal meal, consisting of rice, meats, and veggies, how many calories is that meal? I dont know how much the rice is, its kinda hard to explain, so please, please just give me approxiamtely.

Thanks you
hyuj

Postby curvygirl » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:22 pm

Check out a website called caloire king and it will tell you how many calories in all foods. You may need to meaure or weigh or check out the portion size before you start. Its great help.
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby Karnak » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:47 pm

To be honest I'm actually a little disappointed over how few calories are burnt with exercise. I know its about regular exercise consistently over time etc etc blah blah but last weekend I did 2.5 hour 17km jog to Jells Park and back (it was supposed to be 12km but we got lost) and it burnt a total of 1500cal's. This equates to what, a meal of pizza ?. A Quarter Pounder Meal deal ?. Considering how buggered I felt afterwards I really thought it would be millions upon millions of calories and as a reward I should of lost 15kilos of fat. In reality it burnt what - 200grams ? (using a rough guide of 7700cal = 1 kilo).
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby hyuj » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Karnak wrote:To be honest I'm actually a little disappointed over how few calories are burnt with exercise. I know its about regular exercise consistently over time etc etc blah blah but last weekend I did 2.5 hour 17km jog to Jells Park and back (it was supposed to be 12km but we got lost) and it burnt a total of 1500cal's. This equates to what, a meal of pizza ?. A Quarter Pounder Meal deal ?. Considering how buggered I felt afterwards I really thought it would be millions upon millions of calories and as a reward I should of lost 15kilos of fat. In reality it burnt what - 200grams ? (using a rough guide of 7700cal = 1 kilo).

are u serious about this......so basically exercise burns LITTLE calories>.?????

But does it make a lot of difference if i exercise until my wholte t shirt is soaked with sweat??
hyuj

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:19 pm

True, what you eat has the biggest effect on losing weight. Exercise, however, helps keep the weight off. The people who are most successful with long term weight loss incorporate both healthy eating and exercise into their lifestyle.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mythril_hawk » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:51 pm

hyuj wrote:
mythril_hawk wrote:your body is burning between 1500-3000 (depending on your censored/size etc) per day just to keep you breathing and alive...

Hey

Its a pretty good news, however im not exatcly sure if i understand whaat u said.

Basically, JUST to keep me breathing and alive, my body burns 1500-3000 calories depending on censored/size etc???????Really? lol i never knew that!!! :o

So basically if i dont do anything, just eat normally, healthy, im already losing fat? that, PLUS me exercising is gonna lsoe more fat??

Yes thats correct, if you eat correctly and managed to eat less than your body requires per day then you would not have to excercise, but the best way would be to eat correctly (without starving yourself) and add exercise to your daily life.

Remember, excercise doesnt just make you lose weight, it strengthens your cardiovascular system (heart) and lung capacity, meaning you will get fitter and be more healthy overall, your body will be strengthening as well as losing weight must faster than not exercising.

Here is a link to a calculator which will tell you how many calories your body requires per day just to maintain its current weight, all you have to do is enter your censored / age / height / weight and select an option for how active your lifestyle is and it will tell you roughly what your daily calorie requirement is.

Remember this calorie requirement is just to maintain your current weight and does not include extra exercise you do, so yes you will lose weight by eating under it... but like I said earlier, your best to eat healthily AND exercise.

Link:
http://www.bcm.edu/cnrc/caloriesneed.htm
mythril_hawk

Postby HealthyLiving8 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:40 am

It depends on how much you take in. You body needs a basic level of nutrients and energy for daily functioning... burning to many calories can harm your internal organs and upset your equilibrium. A good weight loss program will have both caloric decrease coupled with an increase in output. Mr. Phelps had an intake of over 10,000 calories a day in Beijing, but there was no way he was gaining weight. 100 calories a day over a year is 10 pounds. Make little changes for the long run. Drastic changes over a short period of time don't work as well. It's all in getting into different eating and exercise habits.
HealthyLiving8

Postby mythril_hawk » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:06 am

Karnak wrote:To be honest I'm actually a little disappointed over how few calories are burnt with exercise. I know its about regular exercise consistently over time etc etc blah blah but last weekend I did 2.5 hour 17km jog to Jells Park and back (it was supposed to be 12km but we got lost) and it burnt a total of 1500cal's. This equates to what, a meal of pizza ?. A Quarter Pounder Meal deal ?. Considering how buggered I felt afterwards I really thought it would be millions upon millions of calories and as a reward I should of lost 15kilos of fat. In reality it burnt what - 200grams ? (using a rough guide of 7700cal = 1 kilo).

i lol'd...
mythril_hawk

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk