It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:44 pm

Free Newsletter

Burn more calories than i take......?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Burn more calories than i take......?

Postby Karnak » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:28 am

hyuj wrote:
Karnak wrote:To be honest I'm actually a little disappointed over how few calories are burnt with exercise. I know its about regular exercise consistently over time etc etc blah blah but last weekend I did 2.5 hour 17km jog to Jells Park and back (it was supposed to be 12km but we got lost) and it burnt a total of 1500cal's. This equates to what, a meal of pizza ?. A Quarter Pounder Meal deal ?. Considering how buggered I felt afterwards I really thought it would be millions upon millions of calories and as a reward I should of lost 15kilos of fat. In reality it burnt what - 200grams ? (using a rough guide of 7700cal = 1 kilo).

are u serious about basically exercise burns LITTLE calories>.?????

But does it make a lot of difference if i exercise until my wholte t shirt is soaked with sweat??

Hang on Hang on - look with exercise you have to look at it from overall perspective. Its not what you do in one session, its what you do over the course of a week, a month, a year. Take walking for 45 minutes a day. If your carrying a bit of extra weight and walking briskly you can burn about 400calories each time. Do that everyday and theres almost 1/2 kilo ON TOP of your dieting.

EXERCISE IS GOOD - IGNORE WHAT I SAID, I was just having a whinge.... :wink:

Postby sarahloveshoes » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:26 am

Of course 1500 calories doesnt look like much when we think of it in junk food, considering anyone can scoff a mcdonalds cheese burger meal in under 30 mins. 2000 calories is the amount ur body burns just to keep you alive, think about it that way. Life isn't easy, its a whole lot harder to burn off fat then it is to gain it lol. Just try and not over do it, you really shouldnt be burning 1500 calories a day all that often unless your training for a marathon or your an athlete.

Sometimes its not always about calories in, calories out either, were not machines. Have u ever thought about trying resistance exercises, or weight training? i was browsing a weight training forum once and i came across this women that looked like she lost about 15kg but in reality she had only lost 7kg and cm's off of her body and she did this through weight training. Its not possible for women to get big from weight training, muscle is also known to burn fat, and even after u stop weight exercising for the day your body continues to burn fat! 1kg of Muscle is also smaller then 1kg of fat.

Never eat more than you can lift. - Miss Piggy

Postby Fireball » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:03 pm

At the end of the day it is a simple equation. To lose weight you need to use more than you consume.
Our bodies consume 1500-3000 at rest and this amount is individual.
Additional exercise will assist in burning off extra energy/fat.
If you start to do regular exercise of a reasonable duration eg 30-45 minutes exercise 3 x a week, you will over a period of time build up your muscle mass, and increase your level of fitness. Muscle does consume more energy than fat so this is benefical to maintain your weight loss. You will also feel healthier.
You will need to adjust your exercise as your body gets more efficient to ensure you keep losing weight.
This is about changing your lifestyle - improve your diet a bit and your exercise a bit and over a period of time. Voila. A new healthier you.
But Karnak - I do agree and sympathise - you know the old saying, "Life wasn't meant to be easy." :lol: Well the quote actually is, "Life wasnt meant to be easy, my child, but take courage: it can be delightful!" That's the bit I'm looking for..

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan

Return to Weight loss Talk