It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:45 pm

Free Newsletter

Is being over weight just a bad habit?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is being over weight just a bad habit?

Postby Fireball » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:44 am

I walked from my laundry into my kitchen
I automatically turned my head towards the cupboard that often contains biscuits
I thought "I shouldnt" but I did open the door to have a look and see what was there
I looked into the box to see if 1 of the 2 packets was open.
Don't! Stop! I said to myself. Phew. That was close.
I walked towards the lounge.
I automatically turned my head towards the fridge and wondered if there was a little savoury snack
I didnt think
I looked in the door to see if there was some cheese and spotted the ham, oooh I had forgotten that was there
Don't! Stop! I said to myself. Phew. That was close.

This happens 100 times a day
Most times I realise in time and resist and feel pleased
A few times I don't resist
Ooops I just put on weight again
I'm not weak, I'm strong. I think about food all the time, but most times I resist.

It suddenly occured to me - Is being overweight just due to a bad habit?
So much of this is about habit
Why do we look? Why do we thhink about food? Why do we tempt ourselves? Why do we make it so hard?

This is self sabotage

Replace the bad habits with good habits
Think about your goals
Exercise
Develop new habits

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Re: Is being over weight just a bad habit?

Postby HealthyLiving8 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:46 am

Being overweight is bad your health, yes...but there are just those people who can't lose it. Sometimes, you just have to stick with exercise and stuff long enough [some longer than others] and you'll gradually start to see results. It depends on where you are carrying the weight and how healthy you are otherwise. Do you exercise? Do you eat a healthy, balanced, relatively low calorie diet? Are you pear or apple shaped? If you have good blood pressure and healthy levels of cholesterol and can work out and feel good about it, then you are absolutely fine. And beauty, unless you are extraordinarily emaciated or morbidly obese, exists independent of size. As far as health goes... it's actually worse to be underweight than it is to be overweight.
HealthyLiving8

Postby aga » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:02 pm

It's not a habit - it's an addiction. When you eat (good stuff) you get those happy chemicals flooding your brain. So you eat. Would you snack on something what tastes like crap just by habit?
Pick your favourite vegetable (not fruit - too much sugar) and keep the big supply. Snacking on the carrot is the best as
1> it takes ages to chew :x
2> you get all this betacaroten in your blood
Because you don't have to be a hippopotamus
http://www.life-stinks.com
aga

Postby Tarz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:10 am

For some i think being overweight is a bad habit or addiction where as some people it isn't something they can control.
I know for me its been from bad habits. Since i was little, when i watched tv i would get up during the ad break and go to the fridge to see what in there i could eat ( i am now so thankful my mum never boughts chipc and chocolates), i did this every ad break, i noticed this 3 years ago and i got out of the habit but started to slip into it again. Another bad habit i had was every morning in the office we'd gather up at 9am and go down for coffee and a muffin, or after lunch we'd all grab a chocolate bar.
Another habit was after a smoke i'd go get something to eat to change the taste in my mouth. All bad habits that you need to recognise and do your best to prevent. If you've got a habit to munch at a certain time go brush your teeth, if you normally have something after a certain activity have some veg cut up or have a tic tac. Its a case of learning new habits to replace the bad habits.
Tarz

Return to Weight loss Talk