It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:19 am

Free Newsletter

trying to quit coke zero

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

trying to quit coke zero

Postby sunshine » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:56 pm

I drink coke zero every day or every second day. I want to quit as I have been reading how dangerous it is. Would drinking bundy ginger beer occasionally be okay, is this safe to drink? I know it is not good for weight loss, but for a soft drink treat, how would it go?

Any one else struggling with the coke monster :mrgreen:
sunshine

Re: trying to quit coke zero

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:32 pm

If you can just try and drink water instead. Or even soda water until you lose that lust for bubbes.

Waterfords make a nice light flavoured soda water maybe that would be nice for a treat. Its not perfect but there have VERY yummy fruity flavours and if you use your bubbly treats on your drinking night the waterfords are great with vodka and gin as well.

Like I said not great but probably better for you than Coke :) Hope Im helpful

oh and Ive NO idea about ginger beer.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby BeyondBeauty » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:52 pm

yoyogirl88 wrote:waterfords are great with vodka and gin as well.

Wow, thanks for the tip - I had NEVER thought of using Waterfords for that before and I was wondering how exactly I was going to get through the summer season with regards to alcohol. As you probably know, I work in the mining game and miners are big drinkers, we do it for fun, we do it to be social, we do it to relax and it's something I don't want to give up entirely as it's my favourite part of summer... but mixing Waterfords with Vodka could be a great option!

BB x x
Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:26 pm

My mum got me hooked on it but I only drink it on the rare occasion still. Im not a Huge fan of soft drinks anyhoo.
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Alexandra » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:29 am

Hi

I totally get where you are coming from - I am a coke junkie from way back, although you are one better than me and are at least drinking the zero version - only full strength for me up until my latest health turn around. I've gone completely "cold turkey" on the soft drinks at the moment - so far (but then again it's early days!) and am only drinking water but my two treats on the odd occasion include tonic water (no idea how safe or healthly this is - I'd suspect given I like it, it can't be all that good for you!) but the other thing I like to do is a bit of cordial in a glass of soda water - home made soft drink really. You can even choose a diet cordial if you prefer.

Hope that helps. I can really appreciate the soft drink monkey on your back! It's one of my demons as well! Good luck

Alexandra
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby mythril_hawk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:38 am

Any drink with the artificial sweetner Aspartame (such as Coke Zero) will give you brain cancer.

... ok so maybe not.. But you stopped drinking it didnt you :wink:
mythril_hawk

Postby Tarz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:24 am

The occasional coke zero is okay, one a day is okay as long as your drinking your 2 litres of water as well, coke zero only has 4 cals compared to the 200+ cals a normal coke has.

I love having my waterfords with vodka _if i have to have a drink otherwise i will just have waterfords on its own. Tastes just like a cruiser. i love the lemon lime and bitters flavour.
Tarz

Postby yoyogirl88 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:17 am

I love the Pink one mmmmmm. I dont know the flavours.
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Tarz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:21 am

In my fridge i currently have mixed berry, pink grapefruit and the lemon lime and bitters, they are all pink or pinky coloured! So i think its safe for me to say i like the pink one too! :lol:
Tarz

Postby chucky » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:21 pm

Why is coke zero dangerous?? I have been drinking quiet alot of it.

I love my soft drink, its defintatly something I am not looking forward giving up.

I suggest making a few different flavoured diet cordials so you have a variety of drink in the fridge
MELANIE

13/10/08 - 88KG
GW: 70KG
chucky

Postby HealthyLiving8 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:32 am

whats the difference between coke zero and diet coke, as they both just seem to be coke with no sugar?
HealthyLiving8

Postby Shalimar » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:16 am

For the Waterford lovers, there is also a light green one that is kiwifruit and mango, Its my favourite one :D .
If I'm not mistaken Woolies has it on special this week.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby mythril_hawk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:28 am

The difference with Coke Zero (and for that matter, Diet Coke, Pepsi Max, Diet lemonades etc) compared to normal Coke is that it is sugar-free (this is where people think yay, great!) however, instead they use an artificial sweetener known is Aspartame. Aspartame is not good for you at all, and has been proven links to cancer, brain tumors & is known to slow the body's metabolism and increase the body's hunger. (Seriously how many SKINNY people do you see buying cartons of Diet Coke???).

I would suggest that you google the dangers of aspartame, but I don't recommend it because some websites do go a little bit overboard with the panic about it, they will have you thinking you will die if you touch it which is obviously a load of crap, but it is still bad for you none the less.

Many nutritionists will actually steer people towards regular soft drink than diet soft drinks if they really MUST drink it, because the sugar poses less of a threat then the long term effects of Aspartame...

A bit of information - Aspartame was actually banned from being used in foods by the FDA (US Food & Drug Administration) due to the long term risks is posed because when digested it breaks down into 3 components, one of which is phenylalanine - a known carcinogen (chemical that promotes the growth of cancer).

After several years of being black-listed by the FDA it was eventually approved to be used, but here is where the controversy starts... It was approved the year after a new board was appointed to the FDA, one member of which was one of the co-owners of Nutra-Sweet, the main aspartame producing company...

Make of that what you will, I'm not trying to fill your head with propoganda, I love my coke zero & chewing gums etc that contain aspartame, and I believe that a lot of the flak it gets from people is total stupidity, but its still not good to be consuming a lot of it because the long term effects are still unknown as it is a relatively new product...

Just my input :P
mythril_hawk

Postby Tarz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:06 am

The only chemical difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke is that Coke Zero has about half the aspartame but has more ace-k (acesulfame potassium).

Also the tests that have been done have been conducted on lab rats and at much higher doses then normal. And pretty much proved that yes you can get cancer from it if you are drinking a few litres a day. The food boards and government wouldn't let it be sold to consumers if it was going to give us cancer in 10 years (but with saying that they are still selling cigarettes). Best option drink water.
Tarz

Postby MissMinx » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:47 pm

OMG well id say every few days Id drink pepsi max or like sprite zero...i just get awful cravings for them :(

What about plain mineral water - all good?????
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Return to Weight loss Talk