It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:03 am

Free Newsletter

Serving sizes and snacks

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Serving sizes and snacks

Postby ranger 2 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:37 pm

At meal times how much should I have on my plate because I know I over eat at meal times that is another reason why I am putting on weight. I eat more than I should I eat it cause it is there and not because I am hungry.
Also what can I eat for snacks. I have been eating all the wrong foods eg.chips, cake and biscuits.

I really would like some help on this I want to be eating enough so that I am feeling full. Thanks for your help.
Jodi
ranger 2

Re: Serving sizes and snacks

Postby yoyogirl88 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:00 pm

At woolies you can buy a healthy portion plate/bowl/tuppaware type thing. I just go off half veggies, palm sized peice of protien and if you need/want it a small amout or carbs.
Hope this helps.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby bluet » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:12 am

Eat more vegetables and fruits, and its better if you buy the organic one. The fiber will make you full, and you only need less snacks than the usuall portion. Some chocolate cake from a skim milk could taste good.
bluet

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:28 am

This site has an explanation of recommended food portion sizes: Making Sense of Portion Sizes.

Weight Watchers also has an article about it: Portion Control

I hadn't heard of the healthy plate that YoYoGirl spoke of but you can follow that rule using a normal plate and just eyeballing values. Make sure half of your plate is steamed veggies or salad, with a quarter carbohydrates and a quarter protein. Filling up on veggies means there's not much room for high-calorie food.

As for snacks, I find that flavoured rice thins are a low calorie, low fat snack with lots of crunch and flavour. They're the perfect substitute for potato chips.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Czarina » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:55 am

Maybe you could try counting calories and weighing your food, that way you can't get it wrong. :)
Czarina

Return to Weight loss Talk