It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:07 am

Free Newsletter

Question about ways of eating

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Question about ways of eating

Postby BlueEyesMelb » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:33 am

I'd been eating to lose weight mid this year. About August I read up more on the low carb diets, that they are the best to do so I switched from not so much the diet I was on, just sensible, healthy eating and the occassional treat (which for me was ice-cream, the peters no sugar added brand) about 4 times a week. It was working I was losing weight. After 2 months on a low carb I was getting no where, at first I stopped losing but wasn't gaining then from Sept-October I gained almost 3 kilos.

I have since gone back to just sensible, healthy eating with a wide variety of food choices, probably close to the weight watchers style eating. The weight is finally coming off and quite easily. I also exercise 1-2 hours 4 times a week. On off days I make sure I do some walking.

I don't deny low carb is great for some people but why didn't it work out for me. The science behind it (carb restriction) made sense but I am just confused as to why low carb didn't work for me and just sensible eating works out better for me? I am indeed happy about it, glad I can enjoy toast for breakfast or a sandwich for lunch again. I also feel a lot more alive, have more energy and feel happeir again.

Re: Question about ways of eating

Postby cherry847 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 am

Hi BlueEyes,

I guess one reason that it didn't work is because we all hit a plateau when our bodies get used to something, and that might be why you stopped losing weight. The other reason is that our bodies need carbs for energy, and that includes the energy to lose weight!!! And from what I've seen low carb diets tend to be higher in fats and sugar. I think that cutting out refined carbs like white bread, cakes, biscuits, rice, etc and replacing them with grainy, wholemeal carbs is better for you than cutting them out altogether because you will be getting the energy, vitamins and minerals you need to keep going. Plus eating a wide variety of foods means that a) you won't get bored and b) you have less restrictions so it really is a lifestyle change instead of a "diet".

Just my two cents! :D
This week's goal... control portion sizes!

Postby MissMinx » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:27 pm

I'm with need to have grainy and wholemeal carbs!

My diet consists of oats in the mornings for brekkie and a sandwich for lunch with wholemeal bread - all really good carbs. For dinner no carbs at all just protein and green veg - this diet is working for me like a dream and im not missing out on carbs for breakfast and lunch at all infact i really enjoy these meals.

Hope you've made some more progress with your diet!!
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)

Postby HealthyLiving8 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:02 am

Low carb diets are an excellent way to lose the short term, as long as you don't go below your BMR in daily caloric intake. Where people run into problems is taking all cals to too low of a level and choose low quality nutrients, and unfortunate component left over from Atkins days when the diet allowed for any and all types of fats and proteins. Anything lower than 20% of your daily caloric intake coming from carbs can be considered low carb.

As for the long term, once you reach the desired goals, you don't want to continue back on the diet that got you into trouble in the first place. This means cutting out the processed foods, especially processed carbs, which are so prevalent in the modern diet. A diet high in lean proteins, low GI carbs and good fats spread out over the day will always produce optimum results, along with a consistent exercise regimen.

Postby BlueEyesMelb » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:32 am

Thank you all for the insights and your opinions.

I was definetly getting bored with low carb and felt down b/c of the restrictions. It feels good to be able to include some bread in my eating plan (I go for either wholemeal or grain). The most important now I don't feel like I am on a diet, just a healthy way of eating.
I've never been one to like sweets or crave them, except for the peters no added sugar ice-cream I sometimes eat, my Dad eats regular ice-cream and to me it tastes too sugary.

Atm I've been eating either yoghurt (Nestle diet) w/1 hard boiled egg or toast for breakfast, lunches are either a salad (include things like dark lettuce, celery, carrot, olives, tomato and half a can of tuna or salmon in springwater previously I had the whole can or 3 plain biscuits), dinner lean meats palm size along with some vegetables -- even potatoes but limit the potatoes to 80-90g size). About 4 times a week I have a small serving of ice-cream. I do snack b/c I eat small meals and my snacks include celery sticks, carrot sticks (I don't use mayo on them now), olives, strawberries and plain biscuits (waterthins) but no more than three.

I am pleased to say it's working, I've dropped 1.5 kilos and can see that I've lost weight where I needed to. Of I expect the weight loss to slow down, but I am happy I don't need to restrict carbs to lose weight.

Postby bluet » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:11 am

If you feel comfortable with your way of eating, you can just cut some portion of your meal and eat fresh fruits or fruit juice. Instead of starving yourself, you can add some workouts in your spare time

Return to Weight loss Talk