It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Free Newsletter

Foods to avoid for a suspected thyroid condition

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Foods to avoid for a suspected thyroid condition

Postby Littlegirl » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:40 am

Hi There,

I was just wondering if anyone knows the foods that you need to avoid when you have a susected thyroid condition? My mother and grandmother both had an underactive thyroid and my mother was treated with medication and a radio active dye i think from memory. My blood tests came out in the fairly normal range but i know that my body has definatley changed. I am mostly a vegetarian, tho i do eat fish and occasionally chicken. I am contemplating seeing a dietician and/or naturopath.

p.s i dont wish to join up with any advertised weightloss program. :)

thanx!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNU4AQX/]
[/url]
Littlegirl

Re: Foods to avoid for a suspected thyroid condition

Postby Jisgone » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:31 pm

i have a slightly underactive thyroid but didnt want to be on thyroxine for the rest of my life and the doctor told me to eat foods high in iodine cause that affects your thyroid function...

so off to the health food shop i went and im now on micro genics kelp 1000 (seaweed in a tablet)
it says on the back
Kelp 1000 contains trace minerals including iodine which can help maintain a healthy thyroid function and metabolism. Kelp ios also rich in alginates, which can help maintain a healthy bowel and digestive function.

im also on nutra life thyro guard which basically provised the building blocks for a healthy thyroid gland, it has the minerals and nutrients the thyroid needs to be able to form the hormones that make it work efficiently

my bf's mum has worked at health food shops for years so i have my own expert :)
Jisgone

Postby Littlegirl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:27 pm

thanx Jewles :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNU4AQX/]
[/url]
Littlegirl

Postby surfchick33 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:22 pm

I see a naturopath and I was told to avoid goitrogen foods such as broccoli, brusel sprouts, soy etc. but I had an underactive thyroid. But then my friend has Graves disease and she was fine with goitrogens but had to avoid iodine rich foods. I guess you need to find out if you have an overactive or underactive thyroid before you start doing anything. Perhaps chat to your GP. :)
surfchick33

Postby Alexandra » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:56 am

Hi. I have a chronically underactive thyroid function (from Hasimoto's Disease) and take large doses of thyroxine to correct it. It has taken 2 years and I still don't have the correct function as yet and from that perspective, I need to look at other alternatives. My husband has recently bought me Dr Sandra Cabot's book called "Your Thyroid Problems Solved" and the book recommends (amongst other things) sticking to a gluten free and dairy free diet to help or correct thyroid function. This does seem drastic to me and I must admit I am yet to try it and am not sure if I will. I am not a doctor and I don't know anything about it and I don't want to give you bad or incorrect advice. However, you might want to look into any link to gluten and dairy in your diet and thyroid function and see if it has any merit and maybe give it a try (I might do the same!).

Good luck with your weight loss goals and staying well!

Alexandra
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby bluet » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:20 pm

You can found the seaweed in a japanese restaurant. They use the seaweed in sushi, noodles, and many more. Or you can have a potatoes and broccoli with non-fat melted cheese
bluet

Postby sheena » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:12 pm

The best advice is to not get worried in advance and be Prepared as much as possible when that time comes.
It is a great tasting fruit drink with powerful anti-ageing benefits. It reduces inflammation, and free radical damage in the body, increases your vital energy and boosts your immune system, helping to protect against numerous diseases and so much more. It contains no artificial colours, sweetners or flavourings and.....is clinically proven to be the most powerful antioxidant drink on the market.
sheena

Postby callmerae » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:58 pm

I wouldn't guess on this and would have blood work done to check it. When I got my bloodwork back it showed a low thyroid..apparently you are sick if the dr. puts you on meds cause I was at the lowest number in the range it was suppose to be and she said she wouldn't medicate for it? I started isagenix 30 days ago and was told to add isapro to my program which is a whey protein..you could buy whey protein anywhere...or add high fibre foods to your diet!
Attachments
hiddennov18.JPG
hiddennov18.JPG (116.29 KiB) Viewed 633 times
callmerae

Postby sheena » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:57 pm

IsaPro Supplemental Whey Protein with 1½ scoops of your IsaLean Shake. Extra protein intake is especially useful for growing teenagers and athletes to promote lean body mass. It’s also ideal for those who have reached a stubborn weight-loss plateau or simply have difficulty losing weight due to thyroid challenges
sheena

Postby bluet » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:10 am

The best thing is organic foods. You can try organic can food if you want, but raw fruit and vegetables is the best.
bluet

Return to Weight loss Talk