It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:55 am

Free Newsletter

How to start eating Vegetables?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How to start eating Vegetables?

Postby counrikke » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:54 am

Alright, I'm new here, so please don't flame me straight away. This has nothing to do with "put food in mouth, chew vigorously and swallow"

Now, I'm trying to start some sort of healthy eating. Yes, that's right, I've never really ate vegetables. I was never fed them as a child, well, maybe in mushy form, but thats nothing like the real thing.

This has been my biggest problem. I can't really EAT healthy foods, which are pretty much required, at least as far as I've read in.

Now my plan to tackle this situation is that, what "STARTER" vegetables do you recommend? Those with not too different texture, taste, or what not. Or even, what should I have "Vegetable A" with to make it taste better.

I'm hoping to find someone else who's been in this predicament before.

Thanks in advance :)

Re: How to start eating Vegetables?

Postby counrikke » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:02 am

Ignore this, I realise this is the wrong forum.

Postby bluet » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:21 pm

You can make a vegetable puree and add it to your food like pizza or spaghetti. Or you can mix it with some ingredients that you like? A chopped vegetables in the bbq sauce or rice curry maybe.

Postby Gordz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:25 pm

counrikke... there are so many very similar forums here it really doesn't matter. Try looking up 'hokkien stir fry noodles' I ordered one n lite and easy one week by accident, and fell in love with it. And there are sooo may veggies in there that I had never previously heard of, but the combination of them and the oyster sauce (and oysters are the last thing i'd ever willingly try) was just magical. Give it a look?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go

Postby mumnbub » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:35 pm

Be creative, there are so many ways to eat veggies, look online for vegetable dishes and you will find plenty to keep you going. But I think as far as weight loss goes there is nothing better than steamed vegies, if need be, steam your veggies and add maybe a cheesy sausce until you get used to the taste.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

Postby electrongirl » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:44 am

Try things like this:

If you like spaghetti bolognese, grate some carrot & zucchini up and add it to the sauce mix. You won't even taste it once you have all the other ingredients in there.

Steam broccoli, carrot, zucchini etc and add a little low fat sour cream on them, same with a baked potato

chop up some sweet potato and put in a baking dish with a drizzle of olive oil, bake until crispy. SOOOO good

Lemon pepper seasoning is nice on steamed veges too.

Just get creative and try things. The options for seasoning's and sauces are endless
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby Tarz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:03 am

My suggestions are roast some vegies, carrot, onion, pumpkin, zucchini etc all you need to do is cut them up, spray a little baking spraydds some herbs or seasoning if you want (you don't have to) chuck it in the oven for 2 hours and yum. You can even make up some gravox for on top.
Make stirfry, add some bok choy, carrot, corn, capsicum etc and put a honey soy sauce, yummy!
If you have curry for dinner, boil some cauliflower and half what you would normally have of rice and replace with cauliflower, you won't notice the difference an dyour having a lot less carbs.
Just like electrongirls suggestion about the bolaignaise sauce you can grate carrot and zucchini and add to meatloaf, you don't notice. Maybe try that deceptively delicious cookbook, its all about adding vegoes to meals and not being able to tell the dfference.
I still love steamed vegies out of everything, steamed vegies with sweet chilli sauce drizzled over the top, or you can do a cheesy sauce, there are so many different ways to cook vegies.

Postby bluet » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:48 pm

You can try a different recipes or buy some useful all-in-one ingredients, like spices and curry powder. I dont like to eat vegetables in their real taste, but I can eat them when they are spicy.

Postby flaminjo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:25 pm

the simples way to start eating vegetables is, cut them down to small pieces, and boiled them gently, add little salt and pepper, start with a bvery small quantity as a side meal and keep on increasing the quantity. you will get used to it.

**Edited my moderator - Please do not link to commercial websites in this forum**

Postby sarahloveshoes » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:57 pm

Well the most bland of vegetables is potato, i love roast pumpkin and sweet potato. You could mash sweet potato and normal potato together. Adding just a little bit of butter and honey to carrots is awesome to!

Never eat more than you can lift. - Miss Piggy

Return to Weight loss Talk