It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Free Newsletter

what was your "lightbulb" or OMG moment?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

what was your "lightbulb" or OMG moment?

Postby matchbox » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:59 pm

What or when was it that you realised you had to do something about your weight? what was your "lightbulb" moment? or oh my god moment? when you really decided that you had to get serious and do something.

mine was when i went shopping in melbourne for the first time, i was so excited, as my favourite shop was there (GUESS), which we don't have here in perth. i had realised in the first couple of days that not a whole lot would fit me or look nice in most of the shops, however my moment was when i was shopping i guess and not a whole lot would fit me. the sizes do run slightly maler, but when a size L singlet was a very tight squeeze i realised i had to do something. i also told myself next time i went back to melbourne i would try it on and it would fit, and that has been my motivation - a shopping trip!

(PS - i went back in june and tried a similar one on - it was too big! and it looked terrible on me, maybe because it was so big (i don't think they have the style i liked anymore) but it was the motivation i needed to finally do something for myself for once)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Re: what was your "lightbulb" or OMG moment?

Postby mum2james » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:37 pm

Mine was when I was meeting up with some forum mums i'd never met at a playcentre. It was cold outside and I was trying to find a jumper to wear. They were all too small and the one I had just bough showed all my rolls, but to me look good in the change room! :-(
I was so shattered that I almost didn't go. :roll:

Now all my jumpers are too big. :lol:
Stacey - 25 and mum to a beautiful 5 year old boy. :-)

Current weight: 76kg
Goal Weight: 70kg
mum2james

Postby ali76 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:34 pm

I fulfilled a lifeling dream of travelling to Egypt. I had photo's taken out the front of the Grat Pyramid of Giza and the Sphinx - photo's that i thought I would print and put up in my house when I got home, photos that i thought I'd be showing evertyone.

When I got home to Australia about 4 months later (i'd lived in scotland for 2 years) I looked at those photos in disgust....I'd put on so much weight in the 2 years I'd been away. All my lovely summer clothes I'd left here were miles too small.

I was determined that the next time I went on a holiday, I'd have pictures I'd be proud of....

Egypt 2005

Hawaii 2008
ali76

Postby kangagirl » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:49 pm

ali76 wrote:I was determined that the next time I went on a holiday, I'd have pictures I'd be proud of....

yep ali76, photos always do the trick! that was my lightbulb moment, seeing recent photos of myself with my new gorgeous baby, but still looking like i was 5months pregnant!!

you look great in yr hawaii foto so well done - u must be proud of yrself. :wink:
kangagirl

Postby mindy32 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:22 pm

The first time around it was photos for me too: my 18th birthday photos. I cried when I saw them, and when mum was out one day I took them all and threw them out, don't think theres a single one left. I was soooo embarassed and upset. I love my 21st photos and wouldnt dream of throwing them out, though im certainly not perfect, I felt comfortable and happy!

This time it was the numbers, realising it had crept back up over 80, I freaked out that I might end up back at 96 where I started!
*****Belinda*****
'Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'
mindy32

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:38 am

Photos for me too!

I spent ages preparing for my sister's wedding. I fretted over what to wear, how to do my make-up and how I should do my hair. I was determined to look terrific on the day! And I had myself believing that too until I saw the wedding photos. I went home and cried and didn't eat for a day. Then I realised I was being silly. If I wanted to lose the weight I had to find a healthy way to do it, not a moping sulky unhealthy way like locking myself in a room and refusing food! It's been a long road since then but I am feeling so much better about myself and so less ashamed of photos now!

Then

Now

(Granted I'm wearing a steel boned corset in the second photo - but I'm also wearing one in the first! :shock: )
EvilWombatQueen

Postby ali76 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:07 pm

I LOVE that pic Ali - you look HOT (I love your style too)!!!

The difference is amazing....you look so much healthier and alive....but you also look so much younger!!!

xoxoxo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks! You're looking absolutely brilliant yourself, Ali. And what's more, you're looking brilliant in a bikini! I'm certainly not at a bikini stage yet, unfortunately. Not unless they create them with steel boned corsets built in! :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby soontolookdamhot » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:37 pm

EWQ: wow what a great difference between the photos, what did u do to lose your weight?
Ali: u must of felt so good in your 2nd photo, i hope to one day wear a bikini.
everyone else: im still waiting for that light bulb moment, i have MANY photos that make me cry but every time i get started and really forcus on eating enough, drinking enough water and exercise daily i get sick or me and hubby fight and gets me off track but i guess its something i need to deal with as its a part of life that things will get u down but u must get up. congrats to everyone.
soontolookdamhot

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi Soontolookdamhot (LOVE your name!)

I have tried anything and everything to lose the weight. It's been a very long journey of two years to get to this point. At first I did Weight Watchers, which was really good and worked for me but I had to stop going because as a student I simply couldn't afford it long term. I tried to keep following their plan without attending the meetings but ended up slipping back into old habits. I tried the food combining diet and lost a couple of kilos but found it impossible to keep up as it was so restrictive. I tried counting calories and that worked for a while, but I ended up getting too obsessive and cutting down my food too much which sent me into a plateau. So I've been dithering around for quite a while not achieving a hell of a lot! Recently my motivation has come back with a vengeance. I've managed to lose two kilos over the last few weeks by grim determination. I've cut back on my drinking considerably, I'm not having ANY crappy food like chips or chocolate, and I'm double checking what I'm eating in Calorie King to make sure I'm not eating too much 'good' food either (portion sizes and a raging appetite have always been my undoing in the past!)

So I understand how you're feeling at the moment, Soonie*! For the last few years I've wanted to lose weight, but wanted to do so on my terms and how it would be convenient to me. And it's worked, but it takes a very long time to do it like that! I'm seeing more results now that I'm utterly obsessed and driven, but I don't think there's any way to force yourself to get to that moment. I think it's just a light switch that suddenly goes off in your head and makes you take a hell of a lot of action.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get there. Especially now you have the forum to support you in your journey!

*I hope you don't mind the arbitrary nick-name, but DAMN your full username is long to type! :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby soontolookdamhot » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:04 pm

EWQ: its all good about shortening my name as i had done to urs, im been thinking every since i wrote the post about how much i think about losing weight but yet i never do anything about like i have SOOOO many health magazines where ive marked out workouts and 'healthy' recipes but omg these magazines go back more than 5yrs ago omfg (cuse the language). Yeah within this time ive had a couple of kids but all this time since i met my hubby 6yrs ive been what my bmi classes me as extremly obese :cry: thats omg, so ive decided its enough and with all these magazines looking me in the face ive decided to have 3 main meals and track with calorie king (will sign myself up for), hmm exercise well that will be the hardest but will do some measurements and go through my womens health and fitness mags and compare my stats with people my height and that im sure will get me the kick up the bum and im gonna (trys to run and hide) ask my hubby for help, to not buy me junk food, to kick my butt outside to go walking, to tell me its time to do my weights workout etc, thanx ewq ur post was my light bulb moment and im off to do some crunches, squats,some jogging on the spot and hmm no lunges HATE those will do those tommorow, yay its time to say goodbye to this fat.
soontolookdamhot

Postby soontolookdamhot » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:19 pm

omg i did 20 girlie push ups, 20squats (i struggles and know ill be feeling it tommorow), 20 crunches and 2mins of jogging, im ready to join u all, omg its been ages since i did any exercise and i forgot how good it feels even if i didnt do :D :D :D
soontolookdamhot

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Woo hoo! Yay Soonie! Good on you for starting exercise straight away. It's amazing isn't it, we put it off for so long then enjoy it so much while we're doing it we can't figure out why we avoided it in the first place!

You've certainly made a good start with your exercise. If you don't have much time for dedicated exercise maybe the key is to work it into your everyday schedule. I know I avoided housework at all costs, but then I found out that it's classified as light exercise. Suddenly by cleaning my house I was getting a low impact workout! And I always walk to do the shopping and to go to uni (I'm lucky that I live close-by). That adds between 40 minutes and 80 minutes medium cardio exercise per day. If you go to the park with your kids maybe a game of chasey with them for five minutes or so would be a good idea. That'll certainly get your heart rate up!

I'd like to say again good on you! I'm so glad the light switch has been flipped and you're as keen as the rest of us now! (Geez, it's starting to sound like a cult isn't it? :lol: )
EvilWombatQueen

Postby kangagirl » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:08 am

OMG EWQ!!!!!!! I AM SPEECHLESS - you look SO different it is nothing short of amazing. we've been chatting a lot on my xmas challenge and when u mentioned u were 80kg at one point, i thought 'not so bad, how bad could she have looked before?? [afterall that's what i weigh NOW], but to see the actual photo of you then, my god, u look so much better and younger now, the difference is nothing short of miraculous. i aslo think blonde hair really suits you from yr avatar foto..WELL DONE!!!! I feel soooo inpsired........

awe-struck kg
kangagirl

Postby soontolookdamhot » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:29 pm

wel ewq ive decided from tommorow im gonna start walking everyday its not raining with my kids and my hubby can walk our dog(hasnt had a walk in a while), ive rejoined c.k so i know my new cal range and got a new book to write it all in, ive got out my exercise book to write down my exercise ive done, o and last night i worked 10pm-6am this morning and my head was not all over the place, im having a fruit salad tonight mmm its one of the best things in the world hehe, o i see u've recuited kangagirl as those who find u to be a inspiration woop woop wtg to u. well im off to finish my second 600ml bottle of water and do some jogging around the house, star jumps, crunches, squats hmmm and will do my upper body workout, yay .
soontolookdamhot

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk