It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:18 am

Free Newsletter

what was your "lightbulb" or OMG moment?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: what was your "lightbulb" or OMG moment?

Postby kangagirl » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:12 pm

hey soontolookdamho!! i also have 2kids and know how hard and crazy it can get sometimes, what ages r yr children? i bought a twin stroller last week so that i can walk them to places and for eg i did 6hrs with them last week - nearly killed by and i prob overdid it but boy it felt good!! my kids are 1 boy (nearly 3) and 1 girl (6months).

good luck, and keep up with the momentum!!

kg
kangagirl

Postby soontolookdamhot » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:26 pm

i have 3 kids, 1 girl whos 4, another girl whos 3 and a boy who 18months so its time to stop looking like im 6months pregnant (yes people have asked if im pregnant) and i was 87.6kgs this morning so im hoping to be 85kg or 84kgs would so make my day by jan 1st but will see what happens, any goals in mind for xmas anyone???.
soontolookdamhot

Postby mumnbub » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:49 pm

mine was after my son was born and i hoped on the scales and was almost 100kg, It was not how i pictured myself as a mother. It was being a mum that made me change my lifestyle. Due to medical complications it was not until he was about 8 months old that I could start exercising and started to lose weight. I am determained to be a yummy mummy :)
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Fireball » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 pm

Wow the Ali shots both look great. You look much more at home in your own body if that makes sense. Good on you ladies. Certainly is inspiring.

My lightbulb moment:
Over a period of time photos have motivated me but then I slip back. In the back of my mind I am always still planning on losing the weight.
My adult daughter is morbidly obese. I feel sad for her. I wasn't that heavy at her age and I want to help her but haven't managed to do it myself.
Recently my doctor warned me that I'm not going to keep getting away with it, i need to lose weight. My sister in her early 50s had a heart attack last year, fortunately she is ok. I'm a lot heavier than she was, although she did smoke.
..... I have to do it.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby kangagirl » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:39 pm

mumnbub wrote:mine was after my son was born and i hoped on the scales and was almost 100kg, It was not how i pictured myself as a mother. It was being a mum that made me change my lifestyle. Due to medical complications it was not until he was about 8 months old that I could start exercising and started to lose weight. I am determained to be a yummy mummy :)

Yes I agree with mumnbub and soontolookdamhot - being a mum makes you want to look and feel good esp when u have young kids...and there IS nothing worse than when u still look pregnant. i couldn't believe my parents asked me if i was pregnant again!!?? and my mum normally says i am too thin, so that really hit home! :shock:
kangagirl

Postby soontolookdamhot » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:40 pm

i cant wait for the day when my family etc can say u look really good, i brought some pjs today and there a little tight on my thighs but fine everywhere else but my mum picked them up off my lounge and looked at them and looked at me in that whole 'theres no way u can fit in them and it will be a long time befor u do' look i was so not impressed, y can people just support u and encourage u like i love being on here but its so hard when the outside world just keeps bringing u down, well bad luck outsiders im getting thin.
soontolookdamhot

Postby kangagirl » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:49 pm

soontolookdamhot - go girl - that's telling them!
:wink:
kangagirl

Postby matchbox » Wed May 04, 2011 1:57 pm

bump :D
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby ganymede » Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 pm

Yay! Thanks Lexi! Now I have found this amazing thread!!! :)

OMG moment...well, gee, I've had about a bazillion. Usually from eating ridiculous amounts and being so embarrassed about it that I hide Tim Tam's in my cupboard because I was so ashamed that I caved once again :cry: I'd do that a lot or buy bad things I didn't need to refridgerate so no body would know that I had bought bad food. Which is obsessive and ridiculous!! Food is always on my mind but most of the time I just don't care and eat what I want. Many many OMG moments and many lightbulb moments.

My latest lightbulb moment is due to this site. There are SO many amazing people on here who have lost a ton of weight and who have not given up no matter what!!! I want to be one of these people and when I get down to the weight I started at, I hope to KEEP GOING and maintain it!

I guess I'm just afraid, who isn't!? I'm so use to being like this, I freak out when I think too much about the future.

Anyone else have this problem!?
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Talien » Wed May 04, 2011 11:18 pm

I found mine on the scales.
Mine wasn't a lightbulb moment or an OMG moment I don't think.
Now I saw it creeping up, over a few weeks. And I had just been told by the doctor that I might have PCOS. This scared the crap out of me.
But that didn't do it.

No it was strange I stood on the scales and I was 121kg. And my head kinda calmly said "yep I'm done". It wasn't a stamping of the foot, just a calm reasoning thought.
I've had a lot of random self discoveries lately (my bipolar is coming under control, this might be helping im not sure) and I think this is one of those gentle discoveries I've made.Like quitting smoking (1 month!) I decided I didn't have to be overweight. I choose not to live this way anymore. It's hard to explain, but it's working!
*~*~* BMR: 8,155 *~*~* 5,500kj Food Plan *~*~* Aim: 70kg *~*~*
MAY CHALLENGE:
Starting Weight: 117.6kg
Weekly Weigh-in: Monday 2/5: 117.6; Monday 9/5: 116.6
Talien

Postby KittyMul » Thu May 05, 2011 12:24 am

I had two "lightbulb" moment, the first one was more traumatic but I think the second has had more lasting effect.

The first happened about six months ago when I was at a party with my boyfriend. We were both quite drunk and I was saying how I didn't think his mum liked me. He said she did, she was just worried because she thought I might have a heart attack or something. I was so distraught that I tried to break up with him because I thought I didn't deserve him. Instead, I decided to do something about my weight. I went out and bought some scales and weighed myself and I was delighted that I had only put on about 2kg since I'd last weighed myself, bringing me to 112kg.

So then I started losing lots of weight, which was wonderful, but I kept thinking, "The scales say I weigh Xkg but I feel much bigger than I felt last time I was Xkg". So I was sure they were weighing light, maybe 5kg or so. I got my boyfriend to come in and weigh himself and they weighed him about 20kg light! He pointed out that you shouldn't put scales on carpet. So I weighed myself on the tiles and there was a 15kg difference. It then hit me that when I weighed myself in the first place I could have actually been upwards of 125kg. I was so horrified that I let myself get so big - all the photos and my clothes had been telling me I was getting bigger but I'd thought I was ok because the scales said I'd stayed the same. That realisation has spurred me on like nothing else. I never, ever want to be that big again or give my health so little priority. I want to feel confident standing next to my boyfriend and to look his mother in the eye!
SW: 121kg
CW: 96.4kg
GW: Less than I weigh now...
KittyMul

Postby BeeXo » Fri May 06, 2011 6:26 pm

I havent really had a "light bulb moment"! I put on 25 kgs with my eldest pregnancy, lost most of it due to a lot of stress. Then after a while it just slowly crept back on. At 20 I fell pregnant with my youngest, lost about 10 kgs during the pregnancy, felt great and then I was hit with PND. I then learnt I was an emotional eater. When my youngest was 2, the girls dad left us and from stress I went from 101 kgs to 82kgs in about 2 months, I moved back to Sydney and stay at the 85kgs mark for about a year, moved again and have put 10 kgs back on.

My bestfriend is a tall blond extremely skinny chick, she NEVER makes me feel bad about myself, but I feel like crap around her. I wont have photos taken, unless they're only face shots (you know the angle lol)

It's been 2.5 years since I moved back to sydney..

I want to lose this weight to get my confidence back, and so my kids dont have the "fat mum at school".

I need to lose this weight due to health reason.

Light bulb moment = I have them constantly..but nothing that actually sticks...

I guess this post was kinda useless hahaha sorry for my ramblings...
BeeXo

Postby lindtcrazy » Fri May 13, 2011 9:58 pm

[quote="matchbox"]What or when was it that you realised you had to do something about your weight? what was your "lightbulb" moment? or oh my god moment? when you really decided that you had to get serious and do something.

When I had to be weighed for minor surgery, I nearly fell of the scales I got that much of a shock, not because of huge amounts of weight, but the fact I can get in a false sense that I am not that over healthy weight.
Oh, the cottage cheese thighs, much to a lesser extent now I shed 8 kilos.
lindtcrazy

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk