It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:16 am

Free Newsletter

Calories vs Exercise

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Calories vs Exercise

Postby Sussy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:09 pm

I know this has been asked before but in really simple terms, when you have a figure of how many calories you hope to consume each day ie: 1500 cals, is this before or after exercise?

Does that make sense?

SO if i consume 1500 cals per day and exercise for 1.5 hours, can i then add more calories to my intake (to make it back up to 1500cals because i've burned some up) or do i leave it as 1500 cals and the calories burned during exercise help me achieve my goal?

Thanks
Sussy

Re: Calories vs Exercise

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:35 pm

To be on the safe side I would recommend looking at your 1500 calorie recommendation as net calories not gross calories. In other words, calories after you deduct what exercise has burned off.

It's possible to exercise away extra calories and lose weight quicker, but how many extra calories you can safely burn comes down to the individual and the 'safe' zone for doing so differs depending on your current weight. The important thing is that you don't want too great a calorie deficit. If your body thinks you are entering famine conditions it will alter your metabolism to stop you losing weight so quickly. For most people 'starvation mode' where you metabolism alters is 1200 calories. While in theory that gives you 300 calories as wriggle room, if someone in an expert position has recommended you eat 1500 calories per day to lose 0.5kg to 1.0 kg per week then that's the safest zone to operate in.

Of course I'm neither a dietitian or a personal trainer so take this advice with a grain of salt. Others may have different views on this matter. This is just based on what I've read on the interweb. :wink:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Sussy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks EWQ, it's probably just common sense, but i wanted ask and make sure. :D
Sussy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:03 am

No worries! It's actually not a silly question at all. It's something I've noticed asked and debated across the internet repeatedly. So it's quite a sensible question really!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby bluet » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:17 pm

Its better to exercise about 2 hours after you eat. And don't worry to much about the exact number of the calories, there are no precise calculation about burning calories. Just workout on your pace and dont stress too much
bluet

Postby martin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:06 am

Average women calorie intake is about 2000 calorie and a guy about 3000 calorie intake a day. If you take about 3000 calorie a day then you need a 1000 calorie reduction from exercise.
martin

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:31 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:To be on the safe side I would recommend looking at your 1500 calorie recommendation as net calories not gross calories. In other words, calories after you deduct what exercise has burned off.

I have to say, that I have a bit of trouble understanding that argument. Say, for me, my ideal intake is 1500cal. Ok, so off I go to the gym and burn say 750cals (my average at the moment). That means that I should increase my intake to 2250cals!! :shock:

Me no see the point of eating excercise calories. I defeats the purpose of doing the excercise. Why don't I just not eat and stay at home on my couch?? :?
SarahC

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:53 pm

If your recommended calorie intake for weight-loss is 1500 calories then it means that there's still a calorie deficit (the difference between the calories needed to maintain weight and the calories needed for weight loss). This deficit will allow you to lose weight no matter how you eat or burn those calories. If you eat 1250 calories and burn 750 of them that still means you're getting 1500 calories in total. That will allow you, in theory, to still safely lose weight at a steady rate. And yes, it means that you can still lose weight by eating 1500 calories and doing no exercise because the same deficit is there.

So what 's the point in doing exercise? The way I see it exercise has other benefits besides faster weight loss. It allows you to eat more which can help people stick to their new healthy lifestyle if they don't want to deprive themselves quite so much. It increases your metabolism so that even when you're not exercising you're burning calories at a faster rate. It increases your fitness, health and life expectancy, all of which are powerful motivators. It makes you sleep better, gives you healthier skin and improves life in general. And from a weight-loss point of view it helps firm you up by building muscle so you have a lower fat percentage and appear more toned. Most importantly people who combine exercise with diet have been shown to keep the weight off more successfully than those who lose weight through diet alone.

If you are supposed to have 1500 calories per day and exercise away 750 of them it means your body is trying to get by on just 750 calories for maintaining heat, organ function, etc. According to what I've read that will put your body in starvation mode. It's probably best to talk to a health care professional about your calorie intake and amount of exercise just to make sure you're not overdoing it.

However I'd like to repeat I'm neither a dietitian nor a personal trainer! If you've found information that shows a different point of view I'd be more than happy to read it. Like I said earlier in the thread this is a pretty contentious topic on weight loss sites and there seem to be differing opinions out there.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mumnbub » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:45 pm

When i was counting calories I could not possibly eat 1500 calories in a day- I just dont eat that much and the only way for me to make that amount up would be to eat foods higher in fat, i eat healthy foods, i dont starve myself but when i work out how many calories it is it works out to be about 1200calories and thats without considering exercise. So why would that be bad when i am eating enough good foods? i know my diet is fine, i choose the right foods, i drink plenty of water i lose weight like this in small amounts if i dont exercise but i do have energy to exercise if i had the time. I still believe it is more important to just eat what is needed in the right quantities without going to the trouble of working out calorie intake. Maybe for someone who is used to eating 2000+ in a day but for a smaller eater it just means i feel like i have to eat more which i dont want to or eat more fatty foods which i dont want to.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Gordz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:07 pm

im with u there mum and bublet. i would have to eat my old diet / more than my heads weight worth of healthy food to consume the !!!2600!!! calories i'm supposed to have. I've had no more than 500 calories per day for the past 2 weeks (minus two alcholic bender nights) and i am shredding like no ones business. I'm still skeptical about the eat more to lose more, but I haven't done any research at all, so take this only as personal oppinion
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:48 pm

mumnbub wrote:When i was counting calories I could not possibly eat 1500 calories in a day- I just dont eat that much and the only way for me to make that amount up would be to eat foods higher in fat, i eat healthy foods, i dont starve myself but when i work out how many calories it is it works out to be about 1200calories and thats without considering exercise. So why would that be bad when i am eating enough good foods? i know my diet is fine, i choose the right foods, i drink plenty of water i lose weight like this in small amounts if i dont exercise but i do have energy to exercise if i had the time. I still believe it is more important to just eat what is needed in the right quantities without going to the trouble of working out calorie intake. Maybe for someone who is used to eating 2000+ in a day but for a smaller eater it just means i feel like i have to eat more which i dont want to or eat more fatty foods which i dont want to.

Normal exercise coupled with healthy eating is no problem at all as it won't create too great a calorie deficit. It's when you're doing a hell of a lot of exercise on top of a strictly calorie controlled diet that it becomes a problem. At its worst it takes the form of exercise bulimia where a person 'purges' everything they eat through hours in the gym. And excessive exercising is often seen in women who already suffer from eating disorders. If someone is doing excessive exercise on top of an eating disorder it can add to an already dangerous health problem. Excessive exercise on top of the bare minimum of calories isn't much better.

It's one of the reasons I advocate adding calories to balance out those that you've burned as a safe method of weight loss. With normal exercise all you would need is a handful of nuts to add those extra calories in. While normal levels of exercise won't hurt too much without the extra calories, I don't want to tell people that extra exercise without extra calories won't hurt at all. People who already have eating disorders tend to over-exercise with no calories to compensate and I don't want people to use my opinions to support dangerous health choices.

In short: If you're exercising like a pro athlete you really need to eat like a pro athlete, and they eat A LOT!

Gordz wrote:im with u there mum and bublet. i would have to eat my old diet / more than my heads weight worth of healthy food to consume the !!!2600!!! calories i'm supposed to have. I've had no more than 500 calories per day for the past 2 weeks (minus two alcholic bender nights) and i am shredding like no ones business. I'm still skeptical about the eat more to lose more, but I haven't done any research at all, so take this only as personal oppinion

Err... normally I'm pretty touchy-feely and try not to offend when I disagree with people, but less than 500 calories per day? Of course you're losing weight. There's a good chance it's for the same reason people from Auschwitz lost a lot of weight quickly and it's called starvation! If you are really only consuming 500 calories per day please, please see your doctor so he or she can assess if this is the healthiest way for you to lose weight. We like you too much to want you to damage your health, Gordz! Some people lose weight quickly on incredibly restrictive diets but the only way to do so safely is under medical supervision.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Snowflake » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:00 pm

What can you eat in a whole day that add's up to 500 calories? Thats like 4 apples and a glass of skim milk. I would die!! I cant even be peckish before I go to the gym or I cant focus on exercising and feel tired and lazy, therefore burn less calories. I personally would rather eat healthy and whenever im hungry and gain muscle and lose fat slowly but steadily. This time around anyways, everyone goes through times when you feel so terrible about yourself that all you want to do is lose weight no matter what it takes - but how long does that ever last?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5WLHBp/]
Snowflake

Postby Gordz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:55 am

Well thanks for the concern but really, I'm feeling absolutely great. I've put on heaps of muscle, and lost 4.7 kgs in 5 weeks, which is well inside the 'safe' zone. I get up with a bounce and go to sleep happy and healthier than I did the day before, and hell, I actually enjoy working out. Snowflake, i'm on optislim in water for most meals, which makes 500cals pretty easy. Oh, but i'm not sure what's in the whey protein i'm taking.. one sec i go check. nup doesn't say. I'll check CK now. hmm 123 cals per 40g serving.. maybe i'm doing 600 then. only have the protein every 2nd - 3rd day though because Ihave no idea how much I need
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Jisgone » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:00 am

I think you will lose more than 4.7kgs in 5 weeks by eating more, the problem with eating 500 calories is there is no where lower to go from there! if you stop losing weight are you going to drop to 300 calories or 100 calories?
I eat 1800 calories a day and have been losing more than a kilo a week and i know as i drop every 5 kilos i can drop down 100 calories so when im nearly at my goal ill still be able to eat 1200 calories which is enough food to keep me going. The day after i got my braces on i could only eat 550 calories because of the pain and i felt tired, hungry and grumpy!
Jisgone

Postby Gordz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:17 am

dentists make me feel tired, grumpy and hungry too Jewles =)
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk