It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Free Newsletter

Weight Loss Help

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight Loss Help

Postby Tojoo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi everyone, my first post here and I was hoping that I could get some much needed advise. Recently over the last 5 months I have lost a total of 44 KG and still wish to lose about another 25, Im 116KG at the moment. Im a 22 year old male around 186cm. Around a week ago I purchased a treadmill to aid my weight loss. prior to this I was walking for one hour a day and then doing 30 minutes of weight training later in the evening and losing around 2 kg each week with my diet. Now that I have my treadmill I use use this twice a day for a total of around one hour of walking and 20 minutes of running and still keep up with 30 mins of weight training. all up about 2 hours exercise each day.

However since I have started training on my treadmill my weight has not done anything. Infact I am about 1KG heavier then I was two weeks ago. My diet has been exactly the same and the only difference is that I am doing more exercise. I really cant understand how it is possible that all of a sudden with extra exercise that I suddenly start gaining weight again after so long with the same exercise. Any help here would be greatly appreciated as this is incredibly confusing. Thankyou.
Tojoo

Re: Weight Loss Help

Postby la1982 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:35 am

It's possible that your body has become accustomed to the same workout and food and you have plateaued. Try mixing up your exercise and food and even try a bit of interval training on the treadmill like the Couch to 5km program. Go to http://www.coolrunning.com to get info on this interval training program and http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/page4.html for free downloads of the podcasts to follow when doing this program.
Also it is possible that you are also building some muscle and you are therefore seeing an increase on the scales. Do you take body measurements at all? If you don't start doing this as well as this can give you a very good indication of how you are going rather than just relying on the scales to keep going down.
SW 74kg
GW 55kg Achieved 31.1.08
CW 54.6kg
Body fat reduced from 38% to 20.2%
la1982

Postby la1982 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:37 am

Also another thing how many calories are you eating each day do you know? If you have increased your exercise by a fair bit it is possible that you have created too big a calorie deficit and your body is holding onto everything that you are eating and is in a semi starvation mode thus making you gain weight.
SW 74kg
GW 55kg Achieved 31.1.08
CW 54.6kg
la1982

Postby Tojoo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:24 am

Thanks very much for the reply. I recently calculated my calorie intake to be around 1600 -1800 each day. Also since using this Treadmill it is certainly increasing my fitness as I can run 4 times longer now then I could a week ago so I guess its not all bad ).
Tojoo

Postby la1982 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:45 am

A site I used to help me lose weight successfully was http://www.calorieking.com.au. Its free and it allows you to fill in your height, current weight and current level of activity and it calculates how many calories a day you should be eating to lose weight. Might be worth creating a profile and checking if their recommendations for calorie intake are similar to what you have been eating. The site also has some fantastic articles and a online course on healthy living and eating that is also free to worth through online which they call Calorie King University.
SW 74kg
GW 55kg Achieved 31.1.08
CW 54.6kg
la1982

Postby flaminjo » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:05 pm

Tojoo wrote:Thanks very much for the reply. I recently calculated my calorie intake to be around 1600 -1800 each day. Also since using this Treadmill it is certainly increasing my fitness as I can run 4 times longer now then I could a week ago so I guess its not all bad ).

well, tojoo 1600-1800 is good and what else besides treadmil you are doing for work out. what is the specific diet you are following. share with all of us here
Last edited by milkyway on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spam link in signature
flaminjo

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:39 am

I only skimmed the other posts, but muscle is heavier that fat and you may gain another few kilograms before you start to lose any kilograms. I would suggest measuring yourself also, it will help you to gain a better perspective on what you are really losing.

You shape may change before the scales do, don't be disheartened!!!!!

Good luck on your journey!
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Return to Weight loss Talk