It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:13 am

Free Newsletter

Whats the Spill on Diet Pills?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Whats the Spill on Diet Pills?

Postby Jenni » Tue May 30, 2006 5:42 pm

Hi everyone.

I would like to ask everyone what their personal experiences have been with diet pills - both prescribed and over the counter.

I was prescribed a drug called "reductil". It is a pill that makes you feel more "full" when you are eating rather than surpressing your appetite. Therefore you eat less. This method helped me lose a lot of weight and better yet I havent put it on again (this was about 2 years ago).

However, I have heard adverse comments about other diet pills. I believe some are designed to stop your body from absorbing anything from the food, whereby you spend the next two days on the loo. Ive also heard that some are seen to be a "quick fix".

I would be interested to know what you think???

Postby mandymoo » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:43 pm

I am on xenical and it seems to be working well for me. At first I had lots of 'accidents' which were quite gross but the problem was I was looking at my calorie intake and not my fat intake...

So I lowered my fat intake to 30g and under (most of the time way under) and have found with daily exercise and 1200 calorie diet, I have lost 5kg in 4 weeks (all my size 14 clothes are hanging off me!)

Also, no more oily discharge but I do notice that I am much more 'regular'.

Now, it may be that even if I didn't take xenical and followed this regime I may have still lost weight but who's to say? All I know is I'm feeling great and if $60 a fortnight is what I need to spend to feel and look good then I'll spend it.

Make sure you see your Doctor first to see if you are a good candidate.

Postby carleyjt » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:43 pm

I have a friend at the moment whom wanted help rather than a 'diet' pill so she tried these tablets that are a fibre tablet but they also absorb fat in the stomach up to 8 times its weight. She said its great to kill too birds with one stone :D

Postby clare » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:14 am

like mandy I tried xenical but it was a few years ago. I was thinking about re using them as I have had a bit of a disaster with duramine (basically chemist speed) I did loose weight while on them but you get VERY irritated easily and as I am high strung already they didnt really agree with me. Especially with 2 kids!! the littlest thing can set you off to a tanty! And as soon as I stopped taking them I put the weight back on with an extra couple of kilos for good measure.....

When I tried xenical before if I knew I was going to have a really fatty dinner I wouldn't take the pill beforehand so as to avoid "accidents!" So I guess I really cheated myself on that one!

Postby roxy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:56 am

did you happen to have the name of the tablet your friend was on??
sounds like it could be a great help.

Postby SarahC » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:54 pm

Sounds like what Carly is talking about is Chitosan. It's a marine fibre that binds fat in the digestive tract, preventing it from being absorbed through the stomach.

I have been taking this myself for many years... only before a fatty meal though. Especially usefull when going out to dinner, when you don't know what you are going to get! Also, if you're having takeaway etc.

The brand I get at the moment is Thompson's Fat Blocker. You can sometimes find it in a health food shop, but it costs about $45 for a bottle of 120. So, I go to and it's only $27.95.

I have heard that it can absorb anywhere from 4 up to 12 times its weight in fat. So, the 8 times could be quite correct!

I discovered today, that Admin Censored also sell it. I was chatting with a girl who has recently joined up. Apparently their Chitosan supplement also contains an ingredient that turns into a gel in the stomach and makes you feel more full. Interesting 8)

It's more expensive though, and contains less chitosan, so I think I'll just stick with the Thompson's :)

Return to Weight loss Talk