It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:52 am

Free Newsletter

what do you think, can I do this

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

what do you think, can I do this

Postby sunshine » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:29 pm

So I am basically at the same stage I was last yr. I am getting ready to start again Jan 1 and I am very determined to stick to my plans this time. I love my wine and malibu on weekends, and I know that its not worth dieting and exercising religiously only to blow it with alcohol every weekend. I want to give up drinking completely, have any of you done this, or even for a period of time? I just don't want to ruin my good work.

I remember what it felt like when I lost my weight and I looked great, and my face was thinner, and my clothes fit, and I exercised and sweated it out, and the scales showed, and I think I prefer all THAT to the buzz I get from drinking wine. Does this make sense?
sunshine

Re: what do you think, can I do this

Postby milkyway » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:46 pm

yes yes yes and yes! You can do this sunshine. As you may remember, I too struggle with my love of wine (or rather, the buzz that comes with it) but this Jan I'm going cold turkey and giving it up completely. I think I went for 2 whole weeks this past year without alcohol and before that was in 2006 when I gave up for a full month.

I know only too well how those empty calories are killing my other efforts, not to mention the food that goes along with drinking ... and recovery. And December has been a HUGE month with so many nights out and too much drinking, even mid-week which I don't usually allow myself to do.

So yes, it can and will be done. Join my January Detox challenge. We can do this together. For me it's all or nothing - if I allow myself just one night of alcohol per week it will blow out into a bender which is doing more damage than having 2-3 glasses of wine two or three times per week. But I find it hard to stop after two glasses, which is why it's got to be NOTHING for a while.

It makes perfect sense re getting the buzz from somewhere other than alcohol. Feeling fit and strong beats it hands down, that's for sure :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby sunshine » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:59 pm

omg you my twin :D I too can't stop at one glass of wine, and yes we have chatted about this before, I remember. I was going so well this yr then all things changed, we bought a farm, and it was all busy and stressful and I fell right back into my old habits. I agree, for me as for you, all or nothing, I can't just have one glass of wine because it will lead to more, and I too have been drinking mid week.

SO I will join your challenge, is it posted in the challenges section, I will look and I AM SO EXCITED to find a buddy to do this with. Cheers, opps shouldn't say that :mrgreen:
sunshine

Postby Shalimar » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:42 pm

Good luck with it girls :) , I think I'm glad alcohol is something that I can take or leave.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby sunshine » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:49 pm

Thank you, I wish I didn't love drinking so much. If I could just have one glass of wine at a time, great, but I binge drink and "Used" to only drink 2 nights per week but I would drink heaps, which is worse that drinking less, more frequently. Binge drinking = no good.
sunshine

Postby Czarina » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:05 pm

I was a big time social binge drinker. I used to start my night with a beer and a bottle of wine, and that was before I hit the town for Tequila shots and beer! LOL! My boy and I would would go halves in a bottle of Tequila/Scotch/Vodka and then get stuck into a bottle of red for a quiet home session. But this year I got serious about my weight loss and now really only drink on special occasions or maybe once or twice a month, and then it's only a couple of sugar-free cruisers or some spirits with diet soft drink. Now I cannot drink much at all, well, not compared to the way I used to be able to drink. I'm kinda disappointed I've lost my super drinking powers, I can't keep up with the boys anymore, but I know that is supposed to be a good thing...LOL!
Czarina

Return to Weight loss Talk