It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Free Newsletter

Need some help

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Need some help

Postby Etch » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Hello. I am a 20 year old male. I am 187cm and 125k. Im looking to lose around 25 k's more. In the past 6 months i've gone from around 160k to 125. The problem i'm having is that i seem to have hit a platue point that i cant seem to get over. I've been there for about 2 months now. Im exercising more and eating around 1600 cal (6720kj) a day. My diet consist's of mainly fruit and veg. With ver small amounts of dairy,grain or meat. I have also completly cut out sweet's and sugars. All the websites out there are giving me confliction advice about how to get past this point. One says my body is in starvation mode, while another tells me i'm still eating to much, Another will tell me it's muscle mass replacing the fat. Personally im sick of reading and trying what the sites have to say just to realise a few weeks seem to have been wasted with absolutley no progress.

Has anyone had this problem before, and if so how did you get over it? Also, is there such a thing as too much fruit and veg? I mean can you eat an unhealthy amount of them?

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.

Re: Need some help

Postby think - thin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:39 pm

Your body might have gotten used to the way you feed it... I would eat more carbs and do some excerise which is not your regular routine.

Well done on loosing so much weight !!!

And I dont know about having to much fruit and vegies, sorry

Start Weight (2.1.09) 89.6kg
29.3.09 - 84.4kg
18.4.09 - 87.3kg :(
Total Loss : 5.2kg
think - thin

Re: Need some help

Postby Grapefruit » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:04 pm

While fruit is really good for you, it is high in carbs, so limit your intake to 2-3 serves a day. Veggies likewise are great for you, but avoid high intake of carby veggies such as potato, corn and sweet potato. Still eat them by all means, but don't have a big dish of mash potato or a huge cob of corn.

My first thoughts are that you aren't getting enough protein. Fruit and veg doesn't contain a whole lot of protein, and meat is the easiest source. So if you have a good 150grams of lean red meat, chicken or fish, that will give you a nice hit of 40grams protein.

Wholegrain carbs are good for you and a wonderful energy source for when you exercise, but with anything, all in moderation. It is best to have your carbs earlier in the day, such as a bowl of mueslie (read the labels because some aren't good, try and find one balanced in both fat, carbs and a good fibre level) and avoid heavy carbs for dinner everynight. Wholemeal pasta, brown rice etc are all good, but only a few x a week.

I don't think its a good idea to drop under 1600 calories, you're a young man who is exercising so I think any less and you wouldn't be getting what you need.

A great tool to smash a plateau is to mix up your exercise. What are you currently doing? Add in something new a few times a week, be it a bushwalk, gym class, martial arts, swimming laps etc...keep your body guessing and thinking rather than letting it get too comfy.

Try not to eat past 8pm, drink plenty of water (a good 2+ litres a day) and get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.

If you're doing all of these things and still no help, a few sessions with a personal trainer might help you out, i'm sure they have dealt with many a plateau!

Return to Weight loss Talk