It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:15 pm

Free Newsletter

Fruit and veggies

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Fruit and veggies

Postby Etch » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Was just wondering. Is it a bad thing to snack of fruit and veggies all day. I mean eat small meals for brekkie/lunch/dinner and just eat fruit all day inbetween. or is to much fruit and bad thing? i know theres natural sugar in fruit but besides that is there any down side to it? I ask because i've cut out alot of stuff in my diet latley. stuff like past,rice,bread,sugar and cut down my meat intake, but since i've done this im always a bit peckish. in a day i can go through 1-2kg of oranges, about 1kg of bannana's another 1kg of apple in a day.

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.

Re: Fruit and veggies

Postby BondGirl » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:51 pm

that's a lot of fruit your eating. Any food makes you put the weight on it depends on the quantaty you're having. if your counting calories work it into your daily intake but no more than 3 serves of fruit a day.

Postby Gordz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:56 pm

wow... 3kg of food a day? Thats a long toilet pitstop, providing of course it's not getting stored
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go

Postby mumnbub » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:04 am

too much of any food is a bad thing- including fruit. You should limit fruit intake to 2-3 serves a day. If your peckish it might be because your not getting the right balance of foods, its not all about just eating fruit and veg, you do need the meat for protein, bread/pasta for carbs oily fish for omega-3... there is something good in every food (well, most foods) best thing is to follow the food pyramid so that you know your getting the right balance of foods.
I found once i had more protein and omega 3 i did not feel like snacking as much- i have a smoothy in the morning with protein powder and have a omega-3 tablet.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:05 am

The important thing is to make sure you get all the nutrients you need. Are you getting enough protein in your meals? Carbs? Vitamins? Other nutrients? You say you've cut down the amount you're eating of these things, but have you cut it from excess portions to normal portions? Or have you reduced it beyond that? You can look up portion sizing here.

If you're getting enough protein and carbs and your hunger is just that you are used to oversized portions (trust me, I know this feeling!), then just see how you go with the amount of fruit and veg between meals that you are currently eating. While I agree on paper that limiting your serves of fruit to three per day is a good option, if you are losing weight eating buckets of fruit, you are getting all the nutrients you need and you enjoy it then why change? If, however, you find after two weeks of eating copious amounts of fruit between meals you aren't losing weight, you aren't feeling well or you find it hard to stick to then you should reevaluate. The important thing is to find an eating plan that a) satisfies your nutritional requirements, b) you can stick to, and c) helps you lose weight. If your current eating doesn't satisfy all three of these criteria it's a good idea to change.

Some people find different things help for managing hunger. Many here add protein to keep them full. I personally find that switching to low GI carbs keeps me fuller longer. If the fruit and veg thing doesn't work experiment with a few ideas and see what suits you.

Good luck!

Return to Weight loss Talk