It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:56 am

Free Newsletter

Snoring

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Snoring

Postby Gordz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:12 am

Is it true that overwieght people (men) snore worse?? I've been told i snored alot less when I was thinner.. it's something i absolutely hate about myself. It is shamefull. My ex said i would stop breating at night for nearly a minute, which I beleive is a symptom of sleepapnia? Does anyone else have this problem? How do you treat it?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Re: Snoring

Postby electrongirl » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:48 am

I snore worse when I have more weight, I don't think it's just guys!!

Oh and sleep apnoea is BAD so if you suspect you may have it, take it seriously.

My ex had it and he was always tired and was overweight. He wouldn't see a doctor about it when we were together. It can be pretty serious.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby mindy32 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:35 pm

My boyfriend's dad has sleep apnea, he has to wear a breathing machine every night which is the only thing that helps. Nikki's right, it can be quite serious!
*****Belinda*****
'Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'
mindy32

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:50 pm

Snoring is definitely worse if you are overweight. The good news is that losing weight can help reduce it a great deal, and you're already well on your way for that! Sleep Apnea can also be related to being overweight (not always, though). As everyone else has pointed out, this is far more serious than simple snoring. It's best to talk to your GP about it. They can possibly put you in contact with a sleep clinic where you can be properly diagnosed since sometimes there can be other physical conditions causing the Sleep Apnea. Then they can advise on the most effective treatment.

It could be helpful for you to record yourself sleeping with a sound activated voice recorder. That could help your doctor with diagnosing your condition.

There are some other recommendations I found on a site about Sleep Apnea:

• Lose weight. Overweight individuals who lose even 10% of their weight can reduce sleep apnea and improve sleep quality.
  • Stop using alcohol, tobacco, and sedatives, or anything that relaxes the muscles of the throat and encourages snoring.
  • Sleep on your side. Special pillows or remedies that encourage side-sleeping, such as the “tennis ball trick,” might help people who only experience sleep apnea when they sleep on their back. See Snoring Causes and Cures for more tips.
  • Elevate the head of your bed 4 -6 inches. This can alleviate snoring and make breathing easier.
  • Maintain regular sleep hours.
  • Use a nasal dilator, breathe right strips or saline nasal spray to help open nasal passages.

For more serious Sleep Apnea you may need a device to help keep your airways open through air pressure during sleep. But definitely see your GP about this.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mumnbub » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:28 pm

I have herd that having sleep apnea can make it harder to lose weight as your not getting enough rest, rest is essential for weight loss so you need to get it checked out- it cant hurt to get it checked, if it turns out your fine then great, all it cost is a night in a sleep clinic- its not painfull or anything. But if you do have it then you can get the right treatment, get the rest you need which will help you lose weight and then hopefully the syptoms will disapear.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Gordz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:30 am

Thats the thing though, I never feel tired or notice any symptoms myself. It's just that the ex has said that I can stop breathing for up to a minute at night. I know that I really must get to the GP, even for a general checkup... It's just that I'm male. Will make a list of things to get looked at and I'll bite the bullet soon. Thanks for the advice guys
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby xlannalx » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:49 pm

i never used to snore until i put on extra weight and my partner had been complaining alot about snoring so i got that RIP snore device (its like a mouth guard and you shape it to bring your jaw forward so you have more room in ur throat) and he said its really helped but i only used it for a couple of nights every few weeks because my muscle memory kicks in and i dont need it for a while - but soon enough ill have lost this extra weight and wont (hopefully) be snoring ever again! haha
xlannalx

Postby Gordz » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:33 pm

i'm totally with u there! when i was in shape i didn't snore.

heres to hoping.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby xlannalx » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:11 am

yeah some nights id be sooo deep in a sleep and then suddenly im awake because all i can hear is "SHUT THE F*CK UP FOR ONE MINUTE!!!!" hahah it was really really getting bad apparently - i never ever used to snore except for when i would have a flu or something similar. man i cannot wait to stop snoring (i should record myself one night - omg no.. i think ignorance is bliss in this case haha)
xlannalx

Return to Weight loss Talk