It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29 pm

Free Newsletter

Should i get a gym member ship

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Should i get a gym member ship

Postby Etch » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:58 pm

Hello. Im thinking about getting a gym membership but im worried about over doing it. Heres a quick rundown of my day

I wake up at 4am. Do the normal stuff. I.E. shower, get ready for work, all that good stuff. At 5am i walk 7km to work. this takes about an hour. Once im at work i have brekky. I work from 6:30am-3pm working on a loading dock. ( recieving pallets of stock in for a supermarket. Splitting loads to various departments and sections of the store. Needless to say i work up a pretty good swet with the constant lifting and running around.) At 3pm i again walk to 7km home again taking about an hour.

Would it be over doing it then go to a gym for 1-2 hours a couple times a week? Or should i just increase my calory intake to compensate for the increase in activity. Currently im on about 16-1700 calories a day

Second quick question. How much stock should i put into the BMI system? im 189c tall and about 120kg's this put's me at 33.59 bmi. My only problem with this is it doesnt take into account body type. Even when i lose my excess weight i dont think im gonna fall into the recomended 20-25 bmi range.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsmzwGz/]
[/url]

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.
Etch

Re: Should i get a gym member ship

Postby milkyway » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Hey Etch - I wouldn't put too much stock in your BMI - rugby players would be considered obsese according to their BMIs. It's better as a guide, rather than a rule.

Weight training is always going to be good for you and help with your weight loss. I'm not sure if it will be too much for you on top of your current level of activity - only you will be able to determine that. Can you get a lift to work one day when you're going to be weight training?

I suggest you try the gym before signing up for a membership. See if there is a gym in your area that offers a free week or two or heavily discounted membership: http://www.goodgymguide.com.au/
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Return to Weight loss Talk