It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:37 am

Free Newsletter

Im Scared Of Getting Saggy Skin!!!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Im Scared Of Getting Saggy Skin!!!

Postby xlannalx » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:38 am

at my heaviest ive been 103.4kg and i want to get to the 60kg's area - i want to go down like 4 dress sizes. im so scared that if i lose this weight in a few months that ill end up with sagging skin. ive been told though that its usually when you're older that your skin has difficulty snapping back into the place - but then i was told if you lose more than 40kgs you get sagging skin - I DONT WANT SAGGY SKIN! omg omg omg i cant afford surgeries for all over the place like arms and stomach and inner thighs and i dont want the scars. please tell me you have lost more than 40kgs so far in a few months and are not having sagging skin problems??? im still young (21) and i am doing pilates everyday - should i be worried?
xlannalx

Re: Im Scared Of Getting Saggy Skin!!!

Postby electrongirl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:34 am

The best way to avoid it is not to lose too fast. That gives time for the skin to shrink back.

If you have ever watched The Biggest Loser, you will notice nearly all of them on there have saggy skin because they lose so much in such a small time frame.

Slow and steady is better and toning exercise is important too. Pilates is great. Also maybe get some weight training in there too if possible.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby mumnbub » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:45 am

Firstly, you really should not be aiming to lose 40kg in a few months, that should be taking 1 to 2 years to work off and if you do that while doing strength training then your skin will have a chance to spring back. If you lose it all fast then yes, you will have saggy skin, there is no way to avoid that. All you can do to avoid it is take your time.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby BondGirl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:04 pm

I agree with the above replies. If you lose it slow then there won't be a problem with saggy skin. You should aim to lose 0.5-1kgs a week. Looking at a year to lose that amount of weight won't give you the saggy skin.
BondGirl

Postby xlannalx » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:10 pm

ive been doing a little research and i called up my sister (shes a surgeon) and apparently the sagging skin is caused by too much muscle loss in a short amount of time and if i keep doing my pilates everyday and some workouts for problems areas (like ive got the leg master and my gawd it burns my inner thighs) and keep doing bench pushups for my triceps daily it should be enough to give me some lean muscle mass whilst losing the weight - so that means i gotta focus less on the weight aspect and just start measuring myself more instead (because we all know muscle weighs more than fat) she said because im young and i have mums asian skin genes there should be quite alot of elasticity but i might want to add collagen to my diet to make me feel better and that if i do this 40kgs in a few months will be perfectly fine - oh this is all so daunting!!! i really hope i haven't done permanent damage!!! i really want to find some young people on here who have lost quite alot of weight so far and tell me how their skin is holding up
xlannalx

Postby electrongirl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:33 pm

(because we all know muscle weighs more than fat)

That's actually not true. Muscle & fat weight the same. Muscle is just denser so it takes up less room on your body.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby xlannalx » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:08 pm

yes it is denser and takes up less room if you were take the same weight of muscle as fat then of course (its not rocket science that if you take two things that weigh the same that it will ... weigh the same) - but im talking about if you got the same volume (not weight) of muscle and fat then the muscle would weigh more because like said its denser. so if you got a persons frame and took out most of the fat and replaced it with muscle without changing the measurements of that frame the person would weigh more. this is why people who are doing alot of weight training can look at the scales and go "i havent lost any weight - yet my waist is smaller" because most of the fat that burned off was replaced with a little bit of muscle - get it? so no im sorry one cubic centimeter of muscle is always going to weigh more than one cubic centimeter of fat.
xlannalx

Postby milkyway » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:55 pm

I think Nikki more than 'gets it' which is why she picked up on the error in your earlier post :P

Best of luck with your journey. I too think 40kg in a few months is not good for your body. Slow and steady is the way to go.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby electrongirl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:40 pm

xlannalx wrote:yes it is denser and takes up less room if you were take the same weight of muscle as fat then of course (its not rocket science that if you take two things that weigh the same that it will ... weigh the same) - but im talking about if you got the same volume (not weight) of muscle and fat then the muscle would weigh more because like said its denser. so if you got a persons frame and took out most of the fat and replaced it with muscle without changing the measurements of that frame the person would weigh more. this is why people who are doing alot of weight training can look at the scales and go "i havent lost any weight - yet my waist is smaller" because most of the fat that burned off was replaced with a little bit of muscle - get it? so no im sorry one cubic centimeter of muscle is always going to weigh more than one cubic centimeter of fat.

I knew what you meant, but the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" is incorrect. It's the same as saying oranges weigh more than apples. How big is the orange, what kind of apple is it? It's all relative.

But 1kg of muscle will weigh the same as 1kg of fat. No denying that!

:D

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby electrongirl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:41 pm

milkyway wrote:I think Nikki more than 'gets it' which is why she picked up on the error in your earlier post :P

Thank you!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby xlannalx » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:52 pm

ah ha! a technicality on the words - sorry about that! :)

i found this link for My Virtual Model on the optifast forums which shows you at your current weight and what your body could look like at your goal weight - its kinda interesting and its in my signature now (yes i went a bit off track then but i just thought it was really cool and had to mention it haha)
xlannalx

Postby electrongirl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:53 pm

xlannalx wrote:ah ha! a technicality on the words - sorry about that! :)

i found this link for My Virtual Model on the optifast forums which shows you at your current weight and what your body could look like at your goal weight - its kinda interesting and its in my signature now (yes i went a bit off track then but i just thought it was really cool and had to mention it haha)

yeah the virtual model is cool! And there are websites where you can try clothes on with it too!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby xlannalx » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:59 pm

oh! are you saying i should go put some clothes on?!?! well i never!!!.... :D

yeah there were some clothes to try on that website but they all looked crap so i just stuck with the default and its more brutal this way haha
xlannalx

Postby electrongirl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:04 pm

xlannalx wrote:oh! are you saying i should go put some clothes on?!?! well i never!!!.... :D

yeah there were some clothes to try on that website but they all looked crap so i just stuck with the default and its more brutal this way haha

haha yeah most of the clothes are a bit lame!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Czarina » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:41 pm

I've lost a bit over 30kg in the past year and a bit, and I don't have saggy skin. Slow and steady wins the race when it comes to losing weight!
Czarina

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk