It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:27 am

Free Newsletter

SBS TV - What are the barriers to eating well?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

SBS TV - What are the barriers to eating well?

Postby Insight, SBS TV » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi everyone,

Christine here from the Insight program on SBS Television. Insight is a national forum discussion program that goes to air every Tuesday night at 7.30pm. Jenny Brockie is the presenter.

I'm researching a program due to go to air in March 2009, that will ask the question: What are the barriers to eating well in Australia?

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on the challenges they face:
Are healthy foods - such as fresh fruit and vegetables etc- affordable compared to other products on the supermarket shelf?
How often do you eat fresh fruit and vegetables compared to pre-prepared products? Why?
If you've ever tried to lose weight, how hard was it?
Health experts want the government to introduce a tax on fatty foods. Is this a good idea?
Does the current food labelling system give you adequate information on healthy options or is it too confusing?

It would be great to hear from as many people as possible on this topic. You can send me your thoughts directly on [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you!

Christine El-Khoury
Associate Producer
Insight, SBS Television
Insight, SBS TV

Re: SBS TV - What are the barriers to eating well?

Postby Gordz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Are healthy foods - such as fresh fruit and vegetables etc- affordable compared to other products on the supermarket shelf? More expensive, but not unaffordable.
How often do you eat fresh fruit and vegetables compared to pre-prepared products? Why? Lite N easy or subway is my only fuit and veggie input. As i'm a male I can't handle a kitchen knife :P
If you've ever tried to lose weight, how hard was it? For me, Losing weight is proving easy... eat less, excercise more. just get off your arse.
Health experts want the government to introduce a tax on fatty foods. Is this a good idea? oh for fuxsake.
Does the current food labelling system give you adequate information on healthy options or is it too confusing? It has become very clear and precise, but these days in australia, the 'average' dietry intake is based on an unrealistic model, so is irrelevant to many traditional aussies.

my seven and a half cents.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Etch » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Are healthy foods - such as fresh fruit and vegetables etc- affordable compared to other products on the supermarket shelf? More expensive for sure, but not unaffordable.
How often do you eat fresh fruit and vegetables compared to pre-prepared products? Why? Fruit makes a great morning tea. Salad( lettuce or bean ) always a good choice for lunch. And Veggies of course for dinner. So about 2-3 serves of fruit and 5-6 fresh veggies per day.I
f you've ever tried to lose weight, how hard was it? December 16th, 2005 i weighed in at 183kg ( 403lbs ) 3 years later i weight in at 120kg's ( 264lbs ). It's not easy to say the least. It takes alot of self control and alot of will power. You will hit numerous depressing platues where you will sit at the same weight for weeks, then again you will have periods where the weight just melts off. At the end of the day it is simple maths, Put in less then you use.
Health experts want the government to introduce a tax on fatty foods. Is this a good idea? Wouldn't change a thing, people would still eat the same crap they always eat. They would then just have less money left for the things they need....
Does the current food labelling system give you adequate information on healthy options or is it too confusing? Ya, its pretty clear on most products. Would be cool if they updated the Recomended daily intake info, seems to be abit outdated considering the average aussie.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsmzwGz/]
[/url]

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.
Etch

Postby Gordz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:01 pm

censored etch, you've lost a bit ey?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Etch » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:54 pm

63kg's so far mate. ;) and damn proud of it. 20kg's to go!
[/url]

Etch

Postby Gordz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:57 pm

holy shitties.... 183kg at 17?!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Etch » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:11 pm

Ya...... I played grid iron and wrestled in high school. So obviously i was eating alot to meet my energy needs. At the time no matter what i ate i jsut burned it off at practice or the gym.( FYI i went to high school in the USA, training sessions are like a mini bootcamp. ) Then i broke my arm/shoulder wrestling and then my leg in grid iron. Anyways, when i wasnt able to play i just kept eating like i was when i was playing and the pounds just stacked on. When i was finally all healed up i went to a doctor for a physical so i could play again, Doc wouldnt clear me simply becuase of my weight. That was the low point that sent me over the edge. Decided then and there to get my arse in gear and shed to pounds.
[/url]

Etch

Postby Gordz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:46 pm

oooooooo ur a duuude.. lol, i c. this thread is shitty... she won't be back.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Etch » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:49 pm

Lol, ya we kind of got off topic a bit. But who knows, the massive number of posts might peak a few interests and get it going again.
[/url]

Etch

Postby Gordz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:56 pm

nah, this'll be gone by midnight. at the least, i'd like to see the email addy gone. just taking advantage of the board.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Etch » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:59 pm

Ya, isn't that against forum reg.'s anyways?
[/url]

Etch

Postby Gordz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:04 pm

not directly. You're not allowed to post links to corporate sites... thats an email address. But signing up to the board, getting people to spend time on you then just taking the info and pissing off is just wrong. put something in if you intend to get something out. $50 donation to the running cost of the board would be a fair call.... IMO.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Etch » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Ah, fair call
[/url]

Etch

Postby Insight, SBS TV » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:01 am

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. Insight is part of the news and current affairs division of SBS Television. I'm legitimately looking for people to take part in a program looking at this topic. It's an issue on the national agenda and we're trying to give Australians the chance to contribute.
Insight, SBS TV

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 am

I agree with the original poster. It's not like she's soliciting people to buy magic weight loss pills like spammers do. She's doing research for a show that directly affects people like us which we can then use as a resource to aid in our weight loss, or could even help to shape public attitudes and government policy. A show on a government funded network may I add (80% of SBS funding comes from the Australian government), not one of the commercial stations.

As to dropping in, getting the research done, then going away... what's wrong with it? I have to say I tune into Insight when the topic interests me, watch it, then feel no obligation to continue watching the next week if it doesn't suit my needs. Similar thing. She's here for a purpose, she stated that purpose, it's a mutually beneficial one and not commercial in nature, so yay for everyone! Plus the best of Insight is available to watch on their website. We could link to it and have it as a resource for people interesting in this topic. Everyone wins!

Gordz, it's rather humorous that you were the first to contribute and then you're the first to question whether the post should be here! I figure people can email if they're interested, or ignore it if they're not. Posting an email link is valid. After all people who are interested in replying would appreciate having a contact email address for communication. Plus it legitimises the request. She has an email address at SBS so we know it's not a marketing company trading on their good name to get some market research done for commercial gain.

I agree that it's a fine line as to what constitutes a commercial link or spam email, but I honestly don't think this fits into that category.

I'll be emailing my 2 cents in tonight and I look forward to seeing the show when it airs. Christine, when the date and time are finalised could you post them here? It sounds like an interesting and worthwhile show to watch.
EvilWombatQueen

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk