It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:26 am

Free Newsletter

SBS TV - What are the barriers to eating well?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SBS TV - What are the barriers to eating well?

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:04 am

Are healthy foods - such as fresh fruit and vegetables etc- affordable compared to other products on the supermarket shelf?
I think they are. Fresh fruits and veg is way cheaper than buying processed foods!! I buy my veggies from a market, and it is so cheap, but even at the supermarket, it's not over the top expensive. But, I live right near a market gardening area, in an outer suburb. I know in the inner suburbs and certainly in the city itself, things are more expensive. I lived in Sydney a few years ago, and could only buy half the amount for the same amount of money. But that wouldn't stop me - it's too delicious to resist :P

How often do you eat fresh fruit and vegetables compared to pre-prepared products? Why?
I make my own meals from fresh ingredients whenever I can.. because it's healthier, and I can make the meals to suit myself. Being a low-carb eater, there's barely any low-carb pre-packaged options, so there's kind of no choice. Plus the sodium in some of that stuff!! That said, if I'm in a hurry, it's good to know it's there.

If you've ever tried to lose weight, how hard was it?
Yes, many times!! It's bloody hard!! Because there's food everywhere! Everywhere you look there it is. It's so hard to stop thinking about it, and the more you think about it, the more you eat it! And, when your live sucks, it's so easy to turn to food for comfort, to escape from reality for a while and ease the pain a bit. Just the same way as a smoker used cigarettes, or and alcoholic uses alcohol :(

Health experts want the government to introduce a tax on fatty foods. Is this a good idea?
Yeah they should warn about bad fats, particularly trans fats. Other than that, I think we are overly scared about fat, there's nothing wrong with fat as long as it's the right kind of fat. What should come with a warning is all the "low fat" garbage that's out there... should have a carb and sugar warning!!! :evil:

Does the current food labelling system give you adequate information on healthy options or is it too confusing?
I'm fine with it, but then I've been studying labels on food for many years so I know what I'm looking at. What can be confusing for people is labels saying things like "sugar free" as opposed to "no sugar added"... my grandma has just been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, and before that she never paid any attention, she just ate what she wanted, now she's started looking at labels she is getting reaaalllly confused. Dunno, I just look at the nutrition info panel on the back - that tells the real story..
SarahC

Postby Gordz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:35 am

Ali, I participated sure, but the reasoning for my frustrated post was because the exact cloned thread was popping up in more places than one. thats not a win win for anyone
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:42 am

Was it appearing in different sections of this board? I missed them if it was and I was up pretty late last night checking the forum out. Or was it appearing on different weight loss forums? I've no problem with people researching on many different forums by posting the same message to every one they can find. Scatter-gun approach to research, sure, but it's a good start to get as many responses as possible and that's the name of the game. If it was re-posted repeatedly in different sections of the one message board, though, I agree it's bad form.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gordz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:43 am

yeah ali, this board. was in the 'diet' talk section only minutes after I responded in this one. Has since been removed.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:50 am

Ahh! I understand the frustration then.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Insight, SBS TV » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:02 pm

Thank you, Ali. I look forward to hearing your views. I will post the details of the air date and other information about the content of the show asap.
Insight, SBS TV

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:06 am

I emailed my reply, but thought I should post it here too in case anyone's interested in reading it.

Are healthy foods - such as fresh fruit and vegetables etc- affordable compared to other products on the supermarket shelf?
It depends on the time of the year! Right now fruit and veg are very affordable. If you'd asked six months ago it would be a different answer. And while per kilo fresh fruit and veg are cheaper than potato chips they certainly aren't as tempting. The other thing to consider is that people can't live on broccoli alone. You need a staple to go with it, and potatoes are hellishly expensive compared to how they were years ago and so is good quality meat. Rice has gone up in price as well. So once you factor in those other costs suddenly a big mac and chips for dinner is very affordable by comparison.

How often do you eat fresh fruit and vegetables compared to pre-prepared products? Why?
I eat fresh fruit an vegetables almost every day. As a vegan vegetarian it's hard to find pre-prepared products that I can eat. Also I'm trying to increase my intake of salads, steamed vegetables and fruit to lose weight.

If you've ever tried to lose weight, how hard was it?
Very hard! Since I'm vegan there are very few diets I can follow. I seem to plateau constantly too. I'm not sure if that's because my body adjusts quickly to any new diet because it's so used to trying to get all the nutrients possible out of a limited food range. But the weight is coming off slowly. It's hard work and it's irritating when people (non-fat people usually) say "Ohhh, it's just a matter of burning more calories than you eat". Sure it is. But the body adjusts its metabolism in an effort to hold onto those calories, meaning that burning more calories than you eat can take much more effort than people imagine.

Health experts want the government to introduce a tax on fatty foods. Is this a good idea?
It depends. If it's based purely on fat then a lot of healthy foods which should be eaten in small quantities (olives, some cheeses, flaxseed oil, nuts) will become prohibitively expensive and it would damage industries which have nothing to do with the obesity epidemic. If a way can be found that only unhealthy foods can be taxed then I would be for it. Provided the tax went towards subsidising healthy foods, making them more affordable. Weight loss programs should also be made available for low income families, either by subsidising them with that 'fat tax' or by running weight loss groups through local councils instead of relying on the private market.

Does the current food labelling system give you adequate information on healthy options or is it too confusing?
I think it gives me adequate information. But I'm used to reading labels to avoid animal products. I can see how it would be confusing to many people, though. There are so many different names for sugar (dextrose, glucose, fructose) that I can see the average person being bewildered by it.

I think we should adopt the New York model of making restaurants put the calorie and fat count of the dishes on their menus. The only way people will make better decisions is if they're educated to make better decisions. Currently you have to search out the calorie contents of foods and memorise a heap of them in order to make healthy choices. By making the information more obvious people are more likely to make healthy food decisions. As a part of this maybe calorie/kilojoule amounts per serving should be in large type on the front of the package on all foods in supermarkets. Or at least labelled on the shelf similar to how prices are displayed currently. And similarly it would be great to have the calorie and fat content, as well as information about vitamins and minerals, on labels in the fruit, veg and meats section. That way people could see in black and white how much better a choice those products are over pre-packaged high sodium high fat meals.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby MagicGirl79 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:04 pm

Excellent answers Ali - I love reading your posts. You know so much about losing weight, healthy foods and just general well being.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk