It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Free Newsletter

Nutritionists meal plan

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Nutritionists meal plan

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi Guys - well I decided to bite the bullet and go and see a nutritionist. She gave me a meal plan to work on so I thought I'd post it on here because I've noticed that there are a few new people here who aren't real sure which diet/plan etc they're planning on following and this might give a guide as to how to eat healthy and things to consider.

Feel free to comment, criticise or ask for further info if you want.

She told me that in no way should I cut out carbs, in fact I had to make sure I had some at lunch and some at dinner because otherwise I'd burn out and of course that's when you start to grab whatever is closest. She just said that the carbs shouldn't be the whole meal, just a small portion to give you energy.

Ok so here's the plan:

Breakfast
* 1 cup of 'flakey' cereal (e.g. Just Right, Sports Plus, Special K) - the higher the fibre the better + 1 cup of low-fat milk or yoghurt + a piece of fruit
OR
* 1/2cup of untoasted muesli (she was very specific that it had to be untoasted) + 1 cup low fat milk/yoghurt + a piece of fruit
OR
2 pieces of wholegrain toast + 1 cup yoghurt/milk + a piece of fruit

Morning Tea (essential to include, even if you're not hungry & should be no more than 3 hours after breakfast)
* 1 x tub low-fat yoghurt
OR
* 1 x piece of fruit
OR
* 3-4 Vita-Weats
OR
* Dried Fruit & Nuts (she suggested the small sunbeam packets)
OR
* 10 x Rice crackers

Lunch (no more than 2/3 hours after morning tea)
* Multigrain roll/sandwich with: lean meat + lots of salad (if you want a spread on it, go for hommus or relish rather than mayo)
OR
* Salad with a healthy serving of carbs (corn, bread, potato)

Afternoon Tea (as essential as morning tea or else you'll be picking before dinner, again no more than 2/3 hours after lunch)
* same options as morning tea, she also suggested maybe a fruit smoothie to up calcium intake (1 cup of low-fat milk + a serve of fruit)

Dinner (2/3 hours after afternoon tea)
* When eating dinner, you need to divide your plate into quarters. One quarter should be protein (lean meat, trim fat before cooking so that fat doesn't melt and reabsorb back into the meat), one quarter should be carbohydrate (pasta/rice/potato/sweet potato/corn/pumpkin), the last two quarters have to be salad or non-starchy vegies.
* She said that you can have stir-fries, casseroles etc but just make sure that when you have carbs with them the amount of carbs you consume is no more than a quarter of the plate and bulk up the stir-fry with lots of vegies. She suggested for bulking up spag bol to grate carrot & zucchini into the sauce & put red lentils in as well.

Ok so I hope this helps as least one person, or at least one person finds this interesting. :D
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Re: Nutritionists meal plan

Postby BondGirl » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:47 pm

thanks for sharing.

Sounds like my eating plan! :D
BondGirl

Postby BondGirl » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:48 pm

oh did she tell you to count cals &/or fat?
BondGirl

Postby Alexandra » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Thanks Kate, that's very helpful and great to know that we are on the right track or a great place to start for others! I have to find more recipes with grains and legumes and things in it. I have to start incorporating more of my fruit snacks with sunflower seeds or 7 nuts or something and as you've got below, sticking some lentils in somewhere (come to think of it, I used to love my dahl - so that might work!). I hadn't thought of those sunbeam packets. I wonder if they have more than just sultanas *ponders*. Will check it out when next at the supermarket. Thanks so much for that!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:28 pm

Bond Girl - She told me to avoid counting calories and/or points (as I used to at WW) - she said that it's probably not something sustainable that people can do forever (although I'm sure once you've been doing it for awhile, it probably becomes second nature and you don't have to actually count?) and ideally their plan is to teach you about eating healthy so you're just making good choices rather than fixating on counting.

Alexandra - There is a brand called 'Just Nuts' I think that do mixed bags of nuts & dried fruit. I have them in the cupboard and they're fabulous. I'm also going to try and incorporate more legumes/beans into my diet too.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby mumnbub » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:40 am

I know they say its important to incorporate legumes and beans into your diet but my gosh they are just to yucky!!! I cant stand the taste no matter what they are in, one bite and I know what I have eaten
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:08 am

That looks like such a healthy and yummy eating plan. I'm definitely going to borrow a few tips from it!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Fireball » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:14 pm

Thanks Magic. I have wondered about my meal plan so it's great to have a look. I shared it with my daughter too.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Karnak » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:51 am

mumnbub wrote:I know they say its important to incorporate legumes and beans into your diet but my gosh they are just to yucky!!! I cant stand the taste no matter what they are in, one bite and I know what I have eaten

Do Evil Wombat Queen's chickpea thing. I've been doing it lately and they are addictive.

Drain a couple of can's and layout the contains on a baking tray, Spray with an olive oil spray lightly and sprinkle with herbs if you wish (I use tumeric). Roast in an oven till they are crunchy. They are heaven as and yup - still a bean and you get heaps of protein, dietary fibre etc.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:52 pm

hmm never thought of roasting them, might have to try give that one a go.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Chickpeas are full of iron too. One serving of chickpeas (200g) has 6.2mg of iron in it. One serving of boiled spinach (100g) has 4.0mg. Chickpeas are great! But make sure you rinse them really well. I find they can make me bloaty and often it's the fluid it sits in that's the worst for that.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby bluet » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:01 pm

I guess the nutritionist dont want you to keep on thinking about your carbs. Just eat healthy and exercise on a daily basis
bluet

Postby Alexandra » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:40 am

Thanks guys, what a great idea, I have to give that a go too - also a great idea for my vego pregers cousin too - thanks!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby Jisgone » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:18 am

i wonder if your nutritionist minds people stealing ideas from your meal plan :P
im certainly taking a few hehe

do you get any cheat meals or is it the same every day?
Jisgone

Postby Mum2Ryder » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:24 pm

You can also make Hommus dip with Chick peas. Just drain 90% of the juice and blend them with a garlic clove and a splash of lemon juice. You can add a tblsp of tahini too if required. Its Yum and very healthy for you! Eat them with oven baked pita bread, you can't go wrong!!! :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4WzD05/]
[/url]
Mum2Ryder

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk