It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:23 am

Free Newsletter

Nutritionists meal plan

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Nutritionists meal plan

Postby MagicGirl79 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Jewles wrote:do you get any cheat meals or is it the same every day?

She didn't say anything about cheat meals, but she's also very down to earth and realises that people need to have their 'off' days. We just discuss ways to still have the unhealthy options combined with some healthy choices so it's not all bad, e.g. if you want pizza, either make your own, or ave 2 slices combined with a salad.

I'm loving putting more vegies into all my meals though. Hubby & I had scrambled eggs yesterday and I put capsicum, eggplant, peas and tomatoes into them. Was soooo yummy. And cause there were so many vegies in there, I only needed 1 piece of toast with them to fill me up.

I am still struggling with only having small serves of carbs though. For those of you, who like me, had no clue what 1 serve equated to, 1 serve =
- 1/2 cup cooked pasta
- 1/3 cup cooked rice
- 1 medium potato
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup sweet potato
- 1/2 cup corn kernels

Try using a measuring cup one meal to see how much this equates to - it'll really show you how much we over eat rice & pasta in our evening meals! Hubby almost died the first night when I served him only 1/3 cup of rice, I think he def expected to still be hungry, but after eating his vegies, he said he was feeling satisfies.

Postby milkyway » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:50 pm

I remember when I started weighing my rice portions I was in shock and suddenly realised why I hadn't been losing weight - I was eating rice 2 or 3 times a day and instead of having 2 or 3 serves, it was more like 6+ :shock:

Anyway, that's a really good meal plan and thanks for sharing. Like others before me, I'll take quite a lot of that away with me. Your nutritionist sounds like she''s got a really sensible and realistic approach.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby dotflower » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:44 am

I'll say one thing, and this is also from experience. the nutritionists have got it all wrong for the majority of the population. The whole food triangle should be changed and carbohydrates should be in the small area at the top. This diet posted by this nutritionist does sound yummy but for obese or overweight people it would be such a slow slow process to lose the weight, meaning that you would occassionally go off it regularly and would end up "maintaining" your weight instead of losing. This diet might be fine for "naturally slim" people, but not for the majority. To lose weight, you must go low carb!!!!!!!!!!! Simple as that. Under 50grams per day to lose 1kg per week. So that is the true weight loss secret.

Postby Mandie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:30 pm

Actually, low carbohydrate diets are extremely unhealthy. Even the guy behind the Atkin's diet died of coronary artery disease.

The whole idea of putting your body into ketosis to burn fat? That's how undiagnosed diabetic patient's bodies work - their body goes into ketosis, the pH of their blood becomes extremely acidotic, they go into renal failure, and often go into comas and die. I'm not sensationalising, it's true! By starving your body of one of the essential nutrients (carbohydrates), you may just be slowly killing yourself..

By eating heaps of fatty protein foods like bacon, you're clogging up your arteries with cholesterol and fat. So while you may lose weight (in the short term - anyone know people who have done low carb diets and ACTUALLY maintained the weight loss?), you will actually be MORE unhealthy - and you will be MORE likely to die from a heart attack or stroke. Obesity is NOT a proven risk factor for having a heart attack - but high cholesterol IS.

So, if you want to lose weight to be skinny, look like a model, whatever - do whatever kind of crazy crash diet you can find - cut out carbs, only eat once a day, do that crazy diet where you eat nothing but cabbage soup, etc..

But if you want to lose weight and be healthy, fit, extend your lifespan and reduce your risk of heart attacks, strokes and diabetes, then you should follow a balanced, low fat, calorie controlled diet - something you can always maintain, with a good range of "every day" foods, like fruit and veges, and "sometimes" foods, like chocolate. You also need to exercise - you won't become fit just by losing weight! You need to exercise to keep your heart healthy. You may not lose weight super-fast, but you WILL lose it - and you Won't have saggy skin - and you WILL keep the weight off!

Sound like hard work? Most things worth doing are hard work. But it IS worth it.

**Sorry if all that sounded a bit blunt and harsh. I'm a doctor, and lately I've been seeing SO many people come into ED pretty sick after doing crash diets as part of a New Year's Resolution to lose weight... and it's driving me nuts!

Postby Jisgone » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:50 pm

Thats the third low carb post shes made today, quite obsessed!
Im glad we all know the 'true' weightloss secret now, all along millions of experts have been saying move more and eat less, eat a well balanced diet and excercise and you will lose weight. But theyve been wrong :( the true weightloss secret is to starve your body of the carbs that it needs and to feel hungry all day every day. So glad i found out now!

Postby Shalimar » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:52 pm

Jewles wrote:Thats the third low carb post shes made today, quite obsessed!

I noticed that as well :) .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.

Postby stevo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Here are a couple of ways you could possibly improve the nutritional plan. They are just suggestions and I am certainly not trying to be disrespectful to the nutritionist.

From my experinece in the fitness industry that type of diet may not work that well for many people and I will explain why.

Firstly, in order to lose weight I would suggest having around 100-150 grams of carbs a day. If you are having 5 meals a day it equates to around 20-30 grams per meal. I find this has worked really well in the past. In fact, when working with competitive bodybuilders I try to get as closely as possible to 30% carbs, 50% protein and 20% fat as their macronutrient profile.

1. It lacks protein and good fats. Perhaps put some LSA (linseeds, sunflower seeds and almonds) on the cereal to increase the protein and good fat content.
2. The carbs may be a little high but that is okay for the breakfast meal.

1. Lacks protein and good fats. The protein is especially important because it provides the building blocks for lean tissue, particularly muscle. Muscle is one of the most metabolically-active tissues in the body.

1. The second option lacks protein.

1. Lacks protein and good fat.

Overall, it appears to be a standard dietitian/ nutritionist nutritional plan.

It is so important to have the protein and good fat in the meals to avoid any blood sugar fluctuations that may occur.

After finishing my first science degree (exercise physiology and human biology) I started a second science degree in nutrition. After a year I gave it away because I was disappointed with the type of nutritional recommendations they offerred. It was the typical high, low-fat approach. At that time I had been a personal trainer for many years and also helped people prepare for building competitions and I found that type of approach is not as effective as a more balanced macronutrient profile.

Furthermore, the fact that the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) designed the food pyramid made me question that approach even more, especially since they recommend having 6-11 serves a day of bread, pasta, rice, cereals (high density carbs).

I hope this helps.

Last edited by milkyway on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: signature removed due to advertising/link

Postby stevo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:52 pm

By the way, I do not advocate a low-carb diet either.

Here is the recommendations I offer with regards to daily food intake:

Also, here is a sample nutritional plan:

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Shalimar on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising removed.

Postby gettinghot » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:51 am

Thank you for posting this - I found it very interesting and will definately be taking it into consideration!

Postby thunderthighs » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Drain a couple of cans and layout the contains on a baking tray, Spray with an olive oil spray lightly and sprinkle with herbs if you wish (I use tumeric). Roast in an oven till they are crunchy. They are heaven as and yup - still a bean and you get heaps of protein, dietary fibre etc.

That sounds delicious! I am going to get some on my way home and try this tonight.
SW: 79.1
GW: 64 (top of healthy weight range)
Ultimate GW: 59.9

Doing it for me, this time.

Postby seal » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:32 pm

Thanks heaps. I'm sure going to have a go at this.
My Reasons To Lose Weight

To be healthy
To be able to buy nice clothes
To be as sexy as friends have said I am

Postby Dave011 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:24 pm

cool! now I can plan my meals, thanks for sharing!
Last edited by Shalimar on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising removed.

Postby Michelle23 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi Kate,

I Just want to thank you so much for putting this up on the site. I have been following this and have lost 2.9 kilos in 3 weeks, and best of all I have not felt hungry once.

Postby amouse » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:01 am

that funny i always grate carrot and zuchinni into spag bog,.. and meat balls .. and burgers/ homemade suasages.. .. lol ( i have kids ) .. what is also good in spag bog is the 4 bean mix.. again i have kids so i open the tin wash the salty brine off then mush them up and add them to the sauce they dont know they are there ... EVIL mum arent i??? :twisted: lol..

sounds like a great plan .. i for one like to keep my protien between 20-30 % and much more and i cant go potty.. lol i would much rather bulk up my meals with veggies..

my biggest downfull is fruit.. im not that keen .. i would prefer to have veggies instead of fruit
On your journey it doesn't matter how long it takes to reach your destintation . What matters is getting there!
SW 135 kilos(nov 2007)
GW 70 something lol
CW 110.5

Postby Will16 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:09 pm

Avoid foods that are high in carbohydrates and especially just before you go to bed. This will speed up the fat loss in your body. Taking alcohol will just give you some extra calories that you do not need therefore you should avoid it. These extra calories are usually stored as fats. Foods that are low in calories should be substituted for those that have many
Last edited by Jisgone on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam spam spam spam

Return to Weight loss Talk