It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:10 am

Free Newsletter

Need Some Motivation.....

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Need Some Motivation.....

Postby Mum2Ryder » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:01 pm

Ok so i signed up to this forum last night. I am currently on a weight loss journey and i know i am doing the right things, i just need to keep motivated.

Being a large girl, i expected to drop some kg's pretty quick, but its not happening. I have been dieting pretty full on for 3 weeks and have only lost 4.7kg. Now i know this is good, but i was hoping to have lost a little more. I have joined the gym and have been doing some weight training, trust me, i can feel this working. I also know that muscle weighs more than fat so that has a lot to do with the minimal weight loss. I am just so obsessed with the scales!! I need to see the results on the scales and not on the tape measure!!

I know i can do this, its all about putting my head down and bum up. I am pretty determined this time, i have tried and failed too many times and i refuse to let it happen again!! I just need to keep myself motivated!!!

Ok that is all, i just needed somewhere to vent i think!
Thanks for listening!! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4WzD05/]
[/url]
Mum2Ryder

Re: Need Some Motivation.....

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:07 pm

You're doing great, M2R! That's a terrific amount to lose in three weeks. In fact it's higher than what is considered the optimal weight loss rate of between 0.5kg and 1kg per week.

Some things to remember:

• Don't compare your weight loss to others. If you're disappointed in your results because you've heard of others having greater losses then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. You want to lose weight at a rate which is good for your body, not theirs. After all you want to be a first rate you, not a second rate copy of someone else!
  • The slower you lose it the more likely you are to keep it off. Countless studies have shown that crash dieting just leads to regaining the weight. Lose it at a steady and healthy pace and you're more likely to be successful long term.
  • The slower you lose the weight the less likely you'll get saggy skin. Your skin needs time to shrink to fit your new shape. By keeping your loss to no more than 1kg per week your skin is more likely to keep up with your shrinking frame.
  • Go by measurements, not just by weight. As you've pointed out you're probably gaining muscle. Muscle is denser than fat. So while the scales may stay the same your actual size could be decreasing. If the scales aren't being kind then use a tape measure instead. You may get a pleasant surprise!
  • Weight loss differs not just from person to person, but from day to day. I usually retain a huge amount of water when it's hot, so I know not to expect great things while weighing myself in hot weather. Same goes for the week before and the week during of TTOTM.

Most importantly, hang in there! To lose weight and maintain it you're going to have to adopt a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life, not just a few weeks. As long as you're at goal weight in two year's time does it really matter if it took you two months to get there or eighteen months? Whenever you feel the pressure to lose weight quickly try and shift your focus to your long-term goals rather than focus on the short term.

It gets easier as time goes by, not just because you get used to your new healthy habits. But any time you feel a bit down about the rate of your weight loss you can look back on how much you've achieved so far. You've lost nearly 5kg and that's GREAT! Imagine how wonderful you'll feel when you've lost 10kg. And what a great sense of accomplishment you'll get when you've lost 20kg.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby wannabeslim » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:12 pm

yeah i feel like im in the same boat.
im new here and need some modivation! ive been dieting for 2.5 weeks as well as exercising and i cant really see a difference. i know its only been 2.5 weeks but im so impatient! last night i pigged out and i did today, which has been the first and second break in my diet.
i really need modivation to stay on track!
ive been trying to look a slim (not skinny) celebrities for some inspiration but it just seems that i am getting used to it and its not as modivating as it once was.

i want to congratulate you on your weight loss by the way! your doing really well! :D

i guess the answer is to keep myself occupied enough when i feel like im going to cheat on my diet and just getting myself out of bed in the morning so i will just go to the gym and get it over with! lol

good luck mum2ryder!
2010 goal: get to 56-8kg and keep fit & healthy!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w02nLYq/]
[/url]
wannabeslim

Postby ellie01 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi Mum2Ryder

Don't give up we have all been there. I have been dieting pretty much constantly for 8 years but always seem to fall off the wagon. If you have lost that amount in 3 weeks just keep thinking to yourself how much you will lose after 3 months. You need to keep your mind focussed on the end goal. I am 3 weeks into my journey ( again ) and I have only lost 1.3kg which i think is good but you are doing great losing that amount in such a short time.

Keep foccused and also remember why you started this in the first place.

Always rooting for you, keep up the good work.

Ellie
ellie01

Postby mumnbub » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi M2R- you say you have about 50kg to lose- so if it takes you the next 1 to 2 years will that be so bad? How long have you been overweight and been trying to lose it- you need to think long term here, you're not looking for a short term fix this is a lifelong change your making so there is nothing wrong with taking your time. In a few years when your sitting my the pool in a bikini you wont be thinking about how long it took to get there, your only concern will be making sure you dont get burnt.

So until its time to sit by the pool, take each day as it comes. Work on just that day and make it count. If at the end of the week you have eaten right and exercised at least 3 times in the week then it does not matter if the scales dont show any major loss as your working towards a long term life change so that one moment in time wont matter.

Now, next time you get on the scales, no matter what it says give yourself a pat on the back and say "I am now lighter than I was last week, I am heading in the right direction and am changing my life for the better"

I know you want to see the numbers go down but whats wrong with seeing the numbers go down on a tape measure? Put it this way- you will see exactly where your losing weight, if you hate the size of your hips and really want to see them gone then seeing that measurment going down is a fantastic feeling.

Another great idea is photoes- if you have not already got a before shot then get out the camera asap and take that shot. If you dont feel comfortable taking it in your undies then find some pants and a shirt that are really fitted and use them as your starting point, each time you take a photo wear that outfit and you will feel great when you see the next photo and the clothes look a bit baggy. Taking photoes in your undies though helps to see exactly what is happening to your body- you dont have to show them to anyone, put them under lock and key if need be lol.

Most of all dont compare yourself to anyone, if we all did that then we would all give up. Some people easily lose 3kg a week and some (like me) struggle to lose anthing some weeks but eventually it all adds up and eventually each gram will add up to 50kg.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Mum2Ryder » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:44 pm

You are all amazing people, thanks so much for your replies, i have learnt a lot from them!!

I will take it all on board and take one day at a time, its all i can do. I will stay focused and look forward to my bikini body.. lmao

Again, thank you
Kristy
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4WzD05/]
[/url]
Mum2Ryder

Postby milkyway » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:59 pm

M2R - break down your weightloss into small goals - first five kilos (you're probably already there!), fit into some item of clothing you've hidden away in your wardrobe, be able to exercise hard for 30 mins without dying - that kind of thing. It's really hard to maintain motivation all the time - I am relying on my goals to help drag me out of bed an hour+ earlier to exercise and the new habits I'm creating along the way to see me through. Try and find some sort of exercise that you really enjoy, then it won't seem like a chore. Or find a friend who will walk/exercise with you so you know you have to show up at a certain time or you'll let them down. I found that worked well when I lived near my sister and we'd meet up for walk or run.

Best of luck and let us know how you're going :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Return to Weight loss Talk